It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism to Defeat Religion By 2038

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
If we grant the premise that wealthy countries are giving up religion and turning to atheism, the implication is that the process will continue only as long as they continue being wealthy.
And are we sure that this is going to happen?
If, on the other hand, the world descends into chaos, I think it quite likely that New-Age based superstitions will be a major threat to both of them.

And the New Age stuff isn't really anything new, just repackaged Gnosticism.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well let me put it this way – I lack a belief in any theistic religion

And my guess is I don’t believe in your religion in the same way you don’t believe in Thor or any other mythology – so just for a moment take how you view Thor and put Jesus there – that’s how I see your religion

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

And my guess is I don’t believe in your religion in the same way you don’t believe in Thor or any other mythology – so just for a moment take how you view Thor and put Jesus there – that’s how I see your religion

I don't think anyone is making the claim you or any Atheist does believe in religion or my God. It just prudent to point out that when people try and make fun of us for having "faith" that it takes exponentially more faith to claim that God does not exist than to have faith that He does.

Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Atheism is on the rise because its the age of logic and reasoning.. you still can be spiritual and own a personal god, but no religion or community of the same belief.

The only way you can defeat something like this is to combine all religion and stand as one, but i don't think this is going to happens.

divide and fail. esp when most of the nuts know 0 of other religions and embrace their religion as the one and true in ignorance.

edit: oh yeah, i still see some posting the "world will be greedy and evil without god", what is it now? you think people get morals from book? its human emotion, its always there whether you are godless or godliness.
edit on 6/8/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

That’s a good point but I remember back in 2008 reading something on the web by some religious types who where gleeful about the economic crisis and were anticipating the pews filling up again – here we are in 2012 and if anything secularism is becoming more ‘popular’

So I don’t think its just wealth if it’s anything I would say the internet is what’s causing the change

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

So I don’t think its just wealth if it’s anything I would say the internet is what’s causing the change

Yes, there's that factor as well.
Amongst other things, we can see on ATS a reaction against "authority", which applies as much to scientific authority as to political and religious. Look at any Nibiru thread.
That sort of trend is bound to result in a long-term growth in irrationality, which means that a rationality-based atheism is unlikely to benefit.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I don't think anyone is making the claim you or any Atheist does believe in religion or my God. It just prudent to point out that when people try and make fun of us for having "faith" that it takes exponentially more faith to claim that God does not exist than to have faith that He does.

Just sayin.

How does it take more faith to claim that God does not exist?

Default = No god

Humans created god

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Ok I understand

Perhaps you have seen this
en.wikipedia.org...

a scale on 1 to 7 of how theistic someone is I am about 5.5 to 6.5 on this scale but the thing is I am an 8 where it comes to theistic religions (christianity, islam and so on)

so you might ask - how come I’m a 5.5 to 6.5
its because i think its possible there is some kind of deistic god (theism and deism have some very significant differences from each other) and so I allow for the possibility of a deistic god

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Go to the 5:30 mark of the video I posted (page 3), I really don't want to re-type everything on a touch-screen phone.

edit on 8-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Burn them!!! Burn them all thee heathens

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Fair enough, that would make you an Agnostic, Bertrand Russell changed his stance to Agnosticism. That's an imtellectually honest position to hold.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Ah but I would point out the word theist in the word atheist – what do you suppose it’s doing there?

Since I am in no way a theist I must be an atheist – right?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Awesome isnt it. The whole US nation is slowly washing itself down the sewer and you are happy. Europe is turning in to a battlefield and you are celebrating it, atheism and its associated greed seems to be the reason behind the collapse of the western world.
These powerful godless nations are only that way because they once feared God, take God out and they will rapidly decay. Look at the US. Open your eyes
I applaud atheism as a great religion, I praise God for atheism. Surely nobody can deny the earths destruction is imminent in light of the new sweeping atheism and the destruction it has heralded.
There is no wrong in atheism, everything is good.
Atheism wont defeat religion it will destroy humanity.
edit on 7-6-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

Amen brother. I'm a 50/50 guy but one thing I do know is if the nation does not want to believe in a god then our demise is imminent. God was created to create order, without that we are doomed.
edit on 8-6-2012 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
God is a jerk. He never returns my phone calls.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Atheism is just another religion that takes empirical science as fact. The simple fact is we are far to uptight about other possibilities. Science will last until we find the end, but it will change. Einsteins theory of relativity doesn't always hold true, but we still learn it in school as truth. We are empty space trying to interpret empty space. Accept we dont know and the world opens up. Live as if you're going to die tomorrow, take everything in, even that which you have trained you're self as un important and you no longer see. Take in all the sensations of the planet, let them change you.

Spirituality has been tainted by religions, both empirical and none sense. Find god within you're self. It is there, only if you open up.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Abandonment worked out pretty well for the Israelites

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Atheism is just another religion that takes empirical science as fact.

Atheism is NOT a religion. It means one thing and one thing only: Lack of belief in a god.

It is not a verb - - it doesn't do anything. It is not a religion - it has no doctrine.

Science is a tool an individual Atheist can use if he/she chooses to. They are not synonymous.

Atheists are individuals. What each individual Atheist thinks is called: their atheist philosophy.

Science is based on what is known - knowledge. What can be proven through repetitive testing. As more is learned that knowledge expands and/or changes.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
God is a jerk. He never returns my phone calls.

Here ya go
: The Mojo Monkeys - Gods Home Number

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
King Solomon had powerful alliances from the East to the West, he had mountains of gold, he had 1000 women, but he died sad and lonely. At the end of the day it's all just vanity. The Lord wants us to prosper and gain knowledge to ease suffering, but the fatal flaw repeated throughout history is forgetting who you owe it all to. In 2038 I want the people to live humbly, with a focus on loving thy neighbor, because at the end of the day these material things are all just vanity; what you're left with is your relationship with God.

"And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways and we will walk in his paths...and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." Isiah 2:3-4
edit on 8-6-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCelestialHuman
One can only hope that religion will die out in their life time.
But, considering the rate these fundamentalists are going at, we may not make it to 2038. All these fundamentalists trying to bring on the end of times. I want no part in it.

You do know war=money for many in power. Vatican and Crown money is highly invested in war enterprise.

So, when the bombs drop make sure to hit the right target, which isn't the little fellas.

The idea is to drive the Islamic against the Jewish/Christians and knock off each to a tidy profit.

After everyone learns better than to play that game, then the world becomes a lot more like Star Trek where knowledge rules the day and all the religions are pretty much considered ignorance.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join