It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot rain falls on Saudi Arabia: highest temperature and humidity combo ever recorded in a rainfall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's bad enough to have to be in hot weather but to have to put up with a thunderstorm that has rain just as hot if not hotter, wow, I don't know. Talk about making a mad dash for cover:

June 7, 2012 – SAUDI ARABIA - Pilgrims to the holy city of Mekkah (Mecca), Saudi Arabia must have been astonished on Tuesday afternoon, when the weather transformed from widespread dust with a temperature of 113°F (45°C) to a thunderstorm with rain. Remarkably, the air temperature during the thunderstorm was a sizzling 109°F (43°C), and the relative humidity a scant 18%.
It is exceedingly rare to get rain when the temperature rises above 100°F, since those kind of temperatures usually require a high pressure system with sinking air that discourages rainfall.
However, on June 4, a sea breeze formed along the shores of the Red Sea, and pushed inland 45 miles (71 km) to Mekkah by mid-afternoon. Moist air flowing eastwards from the Red Sea hit the boundary of the sea breeze and was forced upwards, creating rain-bearing thunderstorms.
According to weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera, this is the highest known temperature that rain has fallen at, anywhere in the world.

Thunderstorms often produce big drops of cold rain, since these raindrops form several thousand meters high in the atmosphere, where temperatures are much cooler than near the surface. Some drops even get their start as snow or ice particles, which melt on the way to the surface. Additional cooling of the drops occurs due to evaporation on the way down.

Except this time, the temps didn't drop:

However, in the case of the June 4, 2012 Mekkah storm, I think the rain was probably more like a hot shower. Thus, the thunderstorms’ raindrops would have been subjected to 100 seconds of some very hot air on the way to the surface, likely warming them above 100°F by the time they hit the ground.
With the air temperature a sizzling 109°F (43°C) at the time of the June 4 thunderstorm in Mekkah, the raindrops could easily have been heated to a temperature of over 105°F (41°C) by the time they reached the surface!

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Wow, I just can't imagine. It's bad enough when the water in the shower gets too hot!!!

Seriously though, strange times ahead of us. Climate change is all around us, globally. All we can do is adapt and change to what ever it is that Mother Nature throws at us. I fear for more bad weather, storms and such, and can't help but wonder what our Hurricane season is going to be like this year. Hopefully it won't be as bad as people may think......I hope.
edit on 7-6-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
thats just all kindsa FUBAR. that place is already miserable as hell with the heat. now they have hot rain..WTF have we done to our planet? i'm gonna go dig a hole and sit in it until everything is over

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Its unusual to see rain with such a low humidity. I would have to assume a wetter air mass rolled over the top of the ground mass. 18% humidity and 100 plus degree water. Can you imagine what the pilgrims must have been thinking. I would love to know how that got interpreted.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I bet that was horribly unsettling.

I've been in thunderstorms in El Paso, TX when it thundered, lightning, and rained hard, but the rain never hit the ground. It might hit the rooftops, maybe even sprinkle the car tops, and you could see it pouring down in the distance, but the humidity was so low the rain mostly evaporated before hitting the ground. It was pretty surreal, but still a cool experience.

I bet this 100 degree rain was not cool or surreal at all, just more miserable in an already miserable heat.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

Yes, I agree. Out here on the south plains of west Texas, rain appears to be impossible if the humidity is under 35%. I'm having trouble understanding how this rain could form at 18% humidity and temps at 110 F. When that happens out here, the rain clouds create something called virga, which is rain which starts to fall from the clouds but dries up before it hits the ground. Certainly without a cold front, thunderstorms cannot form.

Since this storm defies the laws of meteorology, I can't help but think that it was some sort of weather manipulation.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am just not in the mood for those that are not in the know. Fact is when a sand storm comes about in the desert particles are released into the atmosphere and the cloud of the sand storm reduces the temps of the lower levels it produces a desert rain.

Sorry no mystery here, it happens often in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Tolerate a sand storm at temps of 120f and have a sudden cooling effect from the cloud and then a rain for about 45 seconds of the biggest rain drops ever to hit the talc like soil of Arabia.....

yeah Baby, welcome to the real desert!!!

often!!!! Hahahahaha dont believe every slant put on alternate News Media.....hahahahaha!!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

The storm did NOT "defy the laws of Meteorology". It merely occurred under extraordinary circumstances.

Orographic and conventional lifting of air starts a cooling and humidity exchange process (adiabatic rates). The resultant rain is a consequence of this lifting, condensing on particulate matter (condensation nuclei), and increasing humidity. In arid climates, this lifting is often "forced" due to diverging or converging air (a result of pressure gradient and Coriolis effect).

In extreme situations, such as described here, a rare juxtaposition of these variables could produce "hot precipitation". Anyone who has lived for any length of time in the desert climates of the world (especially within a 10-20 degrees of latitude from the equator), is familiar with the phenomenon. As the poster from Texas remarked, a similar thing happens during "monsoon" season, when warm moisture-laden gulf air (or Sea of Cortez air if in Arizona) is forced inland over hot deserts and rises quickly. The extreme low humidity often results in "dust showers", where the water vapor completely is released to the atmosphere before the raindrops even hit the ground. it is sometimes called a "dust shower" because the only thing that makes it to the surface is the original condensation nuclei (dust particles) from which the raindrops formed.

There is absolutely nothing at all sinister, malevolent, or even slightly anthropogenic in this case. it's just rare and interesting, that's all. the Earth is loaded with thousands of unusual, fantastic, perfectly natural occurrences, and equally interesting.

Fun stuff, eh?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
What were the radiation and oil/chemical vapors going up expected to do??? SMH

top topics

join