It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saggy Pants Ban At Chicago Public Schools?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
story & video from HuffPost

A Chicago City Council committee passed a resolution Wednesday demanding Chicago public school students -- and others -- pull up those saggy pants !!

It's micro-management at its best

A group of Chicago aldermen are calling on Chicago Public Schools to mandate uniforms in an effort to stop students from wearing their pants slung below their waists.

Ald. Emma Mitts (37th) forged ahead Wednesday with a resolution she introduced about three weeks ago that calls for City Council to discuss ways to reduce this alarming-to-some fashion trend, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

Titled "No Dragging and Sagging: Pull Up Your Pants," the resolution calls for the 88 schools that don't currently require uniforms, out of Chicago's 675 schools, to come up with ways to prevent students from wearing the "saggy" style, which some aldermen say interferes with learning, according to ABC Chicago.

related story Chicago alderman has a problem with saggy pants

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Good. People look stupid with their underwear hanging out.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
key point from the article:

An important note: Alderman Mitts' won committee support for her "resolution." It is not an ordinance, so for now, she is not suggesting baggy pants be outlawed.

Mitts hopes this will start a conversation in schools, the community and at home.

edit on 7-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Im on the fence. I hate baggy pants, it looks like total crap, I also don't like dictating what others wear. I think, is school property so they set the rules, while another side of me realizes its funded by taxpayers. I don't think I could take a side in this matter.
edit on 7-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
nah i say let them have there baggy pants that make it look like they've shat there pants. very suiting for the dregs who choose to do it in the first place

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
People should be able to dress as they please,
However! This trend simply shows how easily the youth of today are influenced.
In the uk most teenagers have to keep one hand on the waistband of their trousers while they walk to prevent their trousers falling down. Why? Whats the point?

Seems to me more like an intelligence test, and they failed.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I'd like to apologize to all the Brits here for the US exportation of bad fashion.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody

I'd like to apologize to all the Brits here for the US exportation of bad fashion.

Well, technically, you can blame the US prison system, which birthed said 'fashion' which was then adopted by kids in the street.
edit on 7-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I've no objection to it, I simply dont get what its all about

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Can we not just have a dress code that says no saggy pants instead of dictating that everyone will look exactly the same like some type of cult?

I mean, education is about preparing these kids for the adult world. To me, sticking them in uniforms is subliminal programming to be only comfortable in low-paying, low-quality jobs...because those are typically the only ones that have stringent uniform requirements. Heck, even the manufacturing plant I worked in for a while had a choice of 2 or 3 different styles. You know who doesn't seem to have that? Fastfood and minimum wage customer service jobs.
edit on 7-6-2012 by ArrythmianDreams because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Except for the minor detail that its not a ban.

A group of Chicago aldermen are calling on Chicago Public Schools to mandate uniforms...

Except for the minor detail that this resolution doesnt mandate uniforms.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by xuenchen

Except for the minor detail that its not a ban.

A group of Chicago aldermen are calling on Chicago Public Schools to mandate uniforms...

Except for the minor detail that this resolution doesnt mandate uniforms.

That's why they call this ---> "?"

a question mark !!

I bet they try to pass an ordnance.

Chicago is like that sometimes.

The story said most public schools have uniforms anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Not to be off topic but can some one give me a history lesson. Just where , how and why did this whole saggy pants thing start? I have never understood any of it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow, what comes around, goes around again. I know that many of you 'older' folks out here remember when they tried to do this to us around the time of the Vietnam war. They made us cut our hair, and we had to wear long sleeve shirts and pressed pants..... We took them to task and in a few years we had our hair down to our shoulders and came to school in t-shirts and shorts, as long as they were clean.

Gonna happen again, and it is just a stand of solidarity that will push it . You get together with a lot of your schoolmates, and all go to school in saggy pants. You let them know that as long as you are clean, hygienic, and dressed comfortably, without any sexual innuendo, they can do nothing but back down, lest try and suspend the entire class. It is really a case where power of the people wins in school, it can , and has been done. Chances are, that your parents lived during this time I am talking about, and you will get support. You Win.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

As another member pointed out, it started in the US prison system and spread to the streets.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Good. People look stupid with their underwear hanging out.

People should be able to dress the way they want. Just because pants are "meant" to be warn on your waist does not mean they should be made to. We would all be wearing them up to our belly buttons if old people could tell us what to wear. How is it that a small public counsel is able to take away our freedom just because they do not like the way it looks. SO WHAT their pants sag, YOU HAVE A BUTT CRACK TO!!! Stop looking at the human body as if it is disgusting. Its beautiful feat, If I could I would walk around naked.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well I'd be in favor of such a proposed ban,,
dose gangstas sure do look uneducated wit pants like dat.
My kid was into that type of slum wear for much of HS..
Then he grew up with a real job after collage, and wears his clothes mostly normal,,
just a stupid phase.. it is really too bad some must feel the need to emulate to fit in.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The point is, it's an intentionally-sensational article nd headline. Putting the question mark at the end is merely their caveat.

Saggy pants are not being 'banned'.

Uniforms are being considered.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by xuenchen

The point is, it's an intentionally-sensational article nd headline. Putting the question mark at the end is merely their caveat.

Saggy pants are not being 'banned'.

Uniforms are being considered.

Titled "No Dragging and Sagging: Pull Up Your Pants," the resolution calls for the 88 schools that don't currently require uniforms, out of Chicago's 675 schools, to come up with ways to prevent students from wearing the "saggy" style, which some aldermen say interferes with learning, according to ABC Chicago.

Most public schools there use uniforms already. Have for years.

I think all the Parochial schools do too.

I say make the uniforms baggy. Solves the problem

How does baggy pants interfere with learning anyway ?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
As was already said saggy pants started in prison to let the other inmates to know "who was available".

That is where it started then some kid wanted to act all "cool" and many people have had enough of it.

If people like to watch others walk around like "plumbers" don't pass the law if they have had enough pass it.

But it should not even be considered to be a "problem".

More nanny state.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join