It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Wastes $128M on Unemployment Benefit Errors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
story from Breitbart

Colorado Wastes $128M on Unemployment Benefit Errors

They says it's all "clerical errors".

They say they want the money back !

Trouble is, most of the "error" recipients are still broke

I wonder how much got kicked back to the "Error Makers" !!!

A lot of the money was from the Federal taxpayers !!!!!!!!!!!
(see the Denver Post article below)

It MUST be a theft ring in operation !!

Breitbart Opinion:

The state of Colorado has wasted some $128 million on a massive series of clerical errors in handing out unemployment benefits. People were overpaid or got checks when they weren’t eligible for them. About four percent of those problematic unemployment checks went to fraudsters.

Now Colorado wants the money back.

Only the money’s gone. “I absolutely cannot pay it back,” said one unemployment benefits recipient, Lyn McLaughlin. “All for money that was mine, it wasn’t a mistake.” The state is threatening McLaughlin with charging 18% interest or prosecuting her. “There are times when a claimant isn’t eligible and whether they knew it or didn’t know it, that money belongs to the state,” says Cher Haavind of the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment. “We understand hardship but we need to return that money to the state.”

So now honest people who receive government checks, then use them, are held responsible for the government’s mistakes. That’ll teach them to take governmental promises seriously.

Corruption Inc. at work again I see

Don't trust Breitbart ?
more related articles;

from Huffington Post

Denver Post

That included more than $98 million from state coffers, with the rest coming from the federal government's extended-benefits plan, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

That Colorado money accounts for nearly 2 percent of the $5.1 billion in erroneous unemployment payments made by states nationwide in 2011, Labor Department spokesman Jason Kuruvilla said.

The improper payments include some instances of fraud but most frequently are the result of clerical errors.

from Denver Post

edit on Jun-07-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I wonder if it has anything to do with the systems occasionally being unavailable for hours on end every few months. The state has claimed that it is due to too many people accessing the system at one time. Back in December they said that they were hoping for a new system. Double posting for the accounting programs perhaps?

December news

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamreader

I wonder if it has anything to do with the systems occasionally being unavailable for hours on end every few months. The state has claimed that it is due to too many people accessing the system at one time. Back in December they said that they were hoping for a new system. Double posting for the accounting programs perhaps?

December news

Could be !

That would sure make the theft arrangements easier !!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Could just be the result of poor accounting, as the Unemployment departments are severely overworked and understaffed. Or just pure waste.

I collected partial Unemployment (meaning I was still working, but had significantly reduced hours) for several months a couple years ago. I was recently informed that an audit showed I was over-payed by $1. One dollar.

I was told there would be a hearing and I could plead my case and explain to them what had happened. The hearing was in the county seat, 60 miles away. So I could spend $40 on gas and 5 hours of my time to attend a hearing explaining why I had been overpaid $1. One dollar.

Needless to say, I didn't go to the hearing, so the default judgment was that I owed them $1. They sent me an invoice and everything, along with at least 5 or 6 notices, reminders, etc. All over one dollar.

I paid up, but was blown away by the amount of waste involved. Hiring auditors, holding hearings, mailing out an incredible amount of paper and envelopes, postage, all for one dollar. They must have spent many, many times that trying to get it back from me. Absurd.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

That's a good one. $1 over.

yes, all the "professional" help needed is expensive.

that might be one more way the thieves bilk money from the system.

all those extra "professionals" are more than likely well connected outfits.

strange how all the problems always have to be solved by "professionals".

but it took "professionals" to design the system in the first place !!

new topics

top topics

join