It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's mormonism not be an issue these elections: 77% of evangelical support, and growing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Romney's religious beliefs will not be an issue for him within the Republican party these elections. Let's first take his current support. As of June Romney was polled at having 77% of support from Evangicals, up from 69% in May. By November 2008 McCain had received 73% of the evangelical vote. George Bush before him had received 79% of the evangelical vote by November 2004.
www.google.com...

articles.latimes.com...

Romney only lies 2% in difference from the support George Bush held during his election runs, but mind you, Romney still has 5 months before November, so he has more than enough time to gather more support. The vast majority of evangelicals support Romney, there is no doubt. Romney won Texas by nearly 70%, this was the state where evangelical leaders backed Santorum.

Romney will be the first Republican nominee since Rutherford in 1890 to not be a member of any mainstream evangelical-protestant christian group, that's in more than a century. Evangelicals are going to put their religious biases in the backseat these elections, there is no doubt. Tea partiers will be voting these elections, and it will be anybody but Obama.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Romney's religious beliefs will not be an issue for him within the Republican party these elections. Let's first take his current support. As of May, Romney was polled at having 77% of support from Evangicals, up from 69% in May. By November 2008 McCain had received 73% of the evangelical vote. George Bush before him had received 79% of the evangelical vote by November 2004.
www.google.com...

articles.latimes.com...

Romney only lies 2% in difference from the support George Bush held during his election runs, but mind you, Romney still has 5 months before November, so he has more than enough time to gather more support. The vast majority of evangelicals support Romney, there is no doubt. Romney won Texas by nearly 70%, this was the state where evangelical leaders backed Santorum.

Romney will be the first Republican nominee sinbce Rutherford in 1890 to not be a member of any mainstream evangelical-protestant christian group, that's in more than a century. Evangelicals are going to put their religious biases in the backseat these elections, there is no doubt. Tea partiers will be voting these elections, and it will be anybody but Obama.

I can't agree with you on that. My mother the Southern Baptist is very leery of Romney. I often prod her by asking how she could vote for a "cult" member. However, she is a sheeple and will go with the GOP. I understand there is only one issue most religious conservatives vote on... abortion!

I can't wait until Romney gets "Mormon-boated" by all of the Mormon false beliefs...... Why do you think the GOPs change of heart regarding Obama’s reverend?

They could not attack him this election cycle without bringing attacks about Mormonism but the GOP has used all of the "Obama isn't a Christian and radical Rev Wright last election. These attacks would have minimal effect in this election cycle. However, if Southern Baptists are targeted about Romney and Mormonism is just abhorrent to most main stream Christians..

I can se the GOP religious faithful rollover when an ad comes out pointing that Romney believes that God in his physical form came from Plant Kolob and had sex with Mary......

What, No virgin birth?
Mary impregnated by an alien from Plant Kolob?

and you don't think this will be a factor... wrong!
edit on 7-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: clarify

edit on 7-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Frankly, I have always though that religion should not be an issue to begin with. Leaders should do what is best for their country. Not what is best for whatever religion they happen to believe.

People like to question Obama's religion. But I see that as pointless. He would be doing the same job he is now, whether he was Muslim, Christian or Hindu...

A good leader does what is best for their country, and while they may be religious, they do not let their personal religious beliefs get in the way of what our country wants and nees...And no, I don't think Obama has done that, despite what some think...( I wont be voting for him, before anyone calls me an Obama supporter)

So to not vote for some one just because they are Mormon...That's a stupid reason if I ever heard one.. I am not voting for Romney, but it has nothing to do with his religion. he would govern this nation the same way, whether he was Mormon, Jewish or anything else...

Times are changing and people are starting to realize that we don't have to have a Christian President. I don't care if the President worships the flying spaghetti monster, as long as they do what is best for this country...To the best of their ability.

We got away from England for the purpose of keeping religion OUT of politics...Well, that was one of many reasons but it was a big reason...So, I say it's about time we stop worrying about religion when it come to the President.

A good job is a good job and a bad job is a bad job, regardless of religious beliefs...

So let's worry about who will do the best job and who is right for the position. Not what God they happen to worship...

Popular or not, that is where I stand.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't know that the vote can be trusted. I hear and see evangelicals talking. It is an issue but a lot are more racist or just don't like Obama's policies.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Why would Christians vote for a warmonger?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Frankly, I have always though that religion should not be an issue to begin with. Leaders should do what is best for their country.

I'll admit I may be alittle bias on my views in the OP. I don't like the idea of Romney not being voted for merely because he is mormon just as Obama because he is biracial/black. I don't want Romney's religion to be a major factor if he were to lose the election. Most folks don't see an opportunity these elections. Yes we may all frown at this idea that rightwings will be voting No-Obama these elections, but in a way it is an opportunity to force these voters to choose somebody not necessarily of their religious beliefs. For the first time in a long while Evangelicals will not be voting for one of their own, it's a change forced upon them these elections, and I think this is good. It will be the beginning of the Republican party accepting necessary change, and this is a start.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Most excellently said, and I'm glad I wasn't the first to say such. Were an atheist or even a down-and-out satanist (if those are even real things?) running for president, and the best option based on his policies and record of consistency, screw voting for the christian who has no idea what it means to be president (disclosure: I'm christian).

This is a matter of qualification, not personal lifestyle.

SG: as to your OP, I will have to admit I am honestly surprised by this, as I didn't expect the 'evangelical' laity to be so tolerant. I suppose the usual arguments could be made against pollsters and the validity of statistics, but I would *prefer* this to be a positive sign of the spiritual and political direction this country is taking. *crosses fingers*

Danged shame it's Romney though. Not meaning to rain on any potential parades here, I just absolutely do not see him as a valid man for the job. Granted, we haven't had one of those for quite awhile now, so take that as you will.

Be well, all.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
well might as well get it out in the open,,,,

By the way, Isaiah 11 is a prophecy about many things that would occur before and after the return of Christ. To say that it is about to be fulfilled is like saying that the Second Coming of Christ is about to happen - and we stand firmly behind that prophecy.

www.jefflindsay.com...

ohhh ohhh..

and u do not want too know , about,,,its on ATS somewhere,,,

mods they introduced it,, so??

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ok my bad,, guess its everywhere,,

www.atam.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Better to vote for a Mormon than a Muslim.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Better to vote for a Mormon than a Muslim.

Ignorant, for a multitude of reasons.

Glad to see you're consistent, if nothing else. Take care.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

ok ,,now close the deal,,

ill be watching

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I find it very interesting that those who said they wouldn't vote for Romney in 2008 because he was a Mormon are lining up for in in 2012. I think this proves that people will compromise their own personal belief system if given a strong suggestion. Conservatives have been told for about a year that Romney was their guy, even with all the choices out there. They are using the excuse that Obama has to go but doesn't everyone justify what they once considered wrong?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wardk28

well ,,

lets just say,,
there getting into the " Spirit " of things ,,

and so know u must choose,,

BAROCK--O-BAMA / done

Mitt Rommney
The White Knight,,
riding his white horse,, like patton,,,
but without the brains,,
like one annoited,,,
without the Mark Upon His Thiegh,,
which no man knoweth,, except,,

opps,,
are ya feelling it Mitt??,,

gimme a dime .

edit on 7-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I think it could have been anyone and the MSM could get the masses to get behind that guy. 77% of Evangelicals have his support even though they believe their religion to be false.
You can't make this stuff up. Here in the south, religion and college football are the 2 biggest things and in Nov, the GOP voters will have put their partyline over, not only the country, but their faith.
edit on 7-6-2012 by wardk28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wardk28

i think time indeed as well as in practice,, is Constant,

times up.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
well,,
might as well start reading,,

reformdoc.typepad.com...

guess there is just no one else running,,
hmmmm