It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can run for president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've been seeing a lot of posts lately about who can and who cannot run for president.
The typical things I hear are Barack Obama isn't qualified to be president because:

- his father was not a US citizen.
- his mother wasn't in the US when he was born.
- both parents have to be naturalized citizens before he was born.

Now we have new up and comer republican vice presidential hopefuls like
Bobby jindal and Marco Rubio. Both of these men were born in the US to immigrants.
And now I'm hearing that these guys will not be qualified to run for vice president.

And of course Even Mitt Romney is part of this fray. His dad was born in Mexico.
So now he would land in that category too.

Now we have a number of presidents in the past all born to immigrants and
They all went on to become president. We all have to remember, unless you are
Full 100% American Indian, somebody in your family tree migrated to the US whether it's 2 generations ago
Or 5.
Here is the wording from the constitution

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Here is the link
www.usconstitution.net...

I do know that many states have tried to pass they're own eligibility laws especially
Since the Obama fiasco and all have failed.

I hope this helps but somehow I feel it won't

And remember, if you are the son or daughter of illegal immigrants born in the US and lived here your whole life.
You could become president one day

Peace
edit on Thu Jun 7 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Anyone!

See: Barack Obama.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

It hinges on the term natural-born citizen. Basically - and I'm a LITTLE fuzzy right now since I'm celebrating being off work - you have to be born of US citizens, with a bit of dispute over being born in US territory, and meet the other requirements specified.

Romney's good AS LONG AS his father had been naturalized in the US for the required period of time. McCain was questionable, given his birth in the Panama canal zone and the (repealed) acts of Congress he referred to as making him eligible. Obama is definitely questionable, given debate over his birthplace, Indonesia's citizenship laws during wartime not allowing dual citizenship, etc.

As far as your illegal immigrants example - sure...if they were then naturalized and became US citizens appropriately prior to you being born.

Take care.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Anyone!

See: Barack Obama.

Anyone with money!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

You do not require both parents to be citizens in order to be a natural born citizen (provided that you were born on U.S soil) so this hasn't been a legal issue among the courts. Take Obama, born to one American born parent and one Kenyan born father on a student Visa:

Allen v. Arizona Democratic Party,

Most importantly, Arizona courts are bound by United States Supreme Court precedent, and this precedent fully supports that President Obama is a natural born citizen under the Constitution and thus qualified to hold the office of President. See United States v. Wong Kim Ark (addressing U. S. Const. amend. XIV) ; Ankeny v. Governor of the State of Indiana (addressing the precise issue). Contrary to Plaintiff’s assertion, Minor v. Happersett does not hold otherwise

www.scribd.com...

Farrar v. Obama,

Obama "became a citizen at birth and is a natural-born citizen,"

www.ajc.com...

Ankeny v. Governor

President Obama was a United States citizen at the moment of his birth in Hawaii. Since he held citizenship at birth all constitutional qualifications have been met. There is no basis to question the presidents citizenship or qualifications to hold office

www.scribd.com...

Tisdale v Obama

The eligibility requirements to be president of the United States are such that the individual must be a "natural born citizen" of the United States and at least thirty-five years of age. U.S. Const. art. II, S1. It is well settled that those born in the United States are considered natural born citizens. See, e.g United States v Ark, 169 U.S 649, 702 (1898)

www.scribd.com...

Supreme court justice J. Grey in his ruling on the Wong Kim Ark (1898) case:

The Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution, in the declaration that
“all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside,”
contemplates two sources of citizenship, and two only: birth and naturalization. Citizenship by naturalization can only be acquired by naturalization under the authority and in the forms of law. But citizenship by birth is established by the mere fact of birth under the circumstances defined in the Constitution. Every person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, becomes at once a citizen of the United States, and needs no naturalization

www.law.cornell.edu...

Jindal and Marco Rubio are eligible to serve both the presidency and the vice presidency, Obama has already served a term as president, he may get a second term.

There are many birthers who claim that you require both parents in order to be natural born, but if Obama leaves office, you'll find that those "concerns" will magically dissappear.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

That is simply not true. Parents do not need to be naturalized citizens.
Nothing in the constitution states this.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Natural born citizen means born in US. Nothing to do with parents!
Parents are not part of the equation

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Like it or not.
Here it is.
It really doen't matter once someone is in office.

Article Two of the United States Constitution

Clause 5: Qualifications for office

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

That is simply not true. Parents do not need to be naturalized citizens.
Nothing in the constitution states this.

Yes, it is true, and the wording of the constitution is exactly WHY it's a problem. "Natural born citizen" isn't defined in the constitution.

This is why the first, third, and seventh Congresses in the 1700s and very early 1800s passed legislation (some repealed) regarding rules of naturalization. You can review them here, here, and here, and likely in later acts of Congress.

Natural born citizen means born in US. Nothing to do with parents!
Parents are not part of the equation

Yeah, actually they are, and this is one reason there is so much debate over the 14th amendment and its "anchor babies" clause.

Now, while I'm not intending to be unkind to you, was there anything else on this matter you wanted to argue? Your understanding is incomplete and insufficient to be posting claims as fact on this matter, and is illustrated well in the fact that there was such dispute over McCain's status as eligible or no regarding the office of the presidency, since he was born in the Panama canal zone...as I thought I already mentioned. So, you're saying McCain WASN'T eligible to run, since he wasn't born in the US? The senate resolution on this (despite possibly being wrong, itself...) disagrees with you.
edit on 6/7/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Problem is, most people don't understand sentence structure these days. English teachers failed, or people just don't care to learn. Let me help with that......

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Either underlined phrase a, or underlined phrase b.
People that argue there is no difference are not thinking very hard. If there was no difference between a natural born citizen, and a citizen, there would only need to be Citizen of the United States, it is written that way for a reason. I don't understand how people cannot see that......

You need to fill requirement 1 or 2, then both 3 and 4.
edit on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:37:53 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Have you ever just asked your self what if I was president for just one day? And wonder what you would do to help change America for the good. For one I would march the United States Army Into every Federal Reserve bank, and local banks. Rip every god damn computer, and ATM out of the walls. Take every federal reserve note right down to the last red cent I can find, including the imaginary money we the people store in our electronic banking and wipe the Federal deficit with it. I would then in turn Take every Property deed, Car title and any other document that people use either for benefit or decree and give them back to their rightfull owners. And there would be nothing the people can do to stop me, why you ask? Because its the right thing to do! How you ask?, I would not in fact be breaking any laws! Because our forefathers spelled everything out for us, and that looks better on paper then the transaction statements the banks send out to the people every month. And when I take my short term in office I would fully intend to extend the full length of my term to the four full years. And free the non violent prisoners unjustified by the corrupted legal system. And lock up each and every corrupted politician, past presidents, and lawyers working for them and the banks. Not so much because I can, but because they all sat around on their sweet millionare asses and did nothing about it but sat back and watched it all go down. I will make sure of it they will not be able to squeeze another damn dime out of poor old uncle Sam's ass again for a very very long time....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Honestly, it doesn't really matter who is running for president in the U.S.A. If you aren't one of them then you get shot (just ask JFK...wait, you can't).

join