It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honeybee virus: Varroa mite spreads lethal disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

A parasitic mite has helped a virus wipe out billions of honeybees throughout the globe, say scientists.

A team studying honeybees in Hawaii found that the Varroa mite helped spread a particularly nasty strain of a disease called deformed wing virus.

The mites act as tiny incubators of one deadly form of the disease, and inject it directly into the bees' blood.

This has led to "one of the most widely-distributed and contagious insect viruses on the planet".

The findings are reported in the journal Science.

Honeybee Virus

This is interesting to say the least. It's odd that this mite is causing a virus to effect bees in this certain way. I also think that it is odd that it seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon. Is this possibly a cover up for something else that is killing the bees? I know a lot has been said about GMO crops killing bees, maybe the GMO crops help this mite obtain this particular strain of virus. I'm obviously no expert, but I'm sure some of you on ATS can provide plenty of insight.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
these poor bees just can't catch a break. there was neat article in my local paper today about bees. i shall find it....www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012306070011
edit on 7-6-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Actually this has been around for a good while now and the MAIN reason for the disappearance of honey bees...

BTW honey bees are not native of America so if we lost them all nature here would just keep on tickin...

join