It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin says Iran has ‘absolute’ right to nuclear energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In a meeting with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on the fringes of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit in Beijing on Thursday, Putin also said, “Russia has always defended the rights of the Iranian nation in all international organizations and considers peaceful use of nuclear energy as the absolute right of the Islamic Republic of Iran.”

mehrnews.com

The remarks by Putin come as Iran and the 5+1 group (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany) are preparing to hold nuclear talks in Moscow on June 18-19.

Putin also said there is a long history of cooperation between Iran and Russia and “Iran is our close and intimate partner for cooperation in the Caspian Sea affairs.”

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

And Putin is absolutely correct.

It's a damned shame some parties will never believe - or at least never ADMIT they believe - that that's all Iran is seeking to do, and instead will continue to beat the war drums up to a tempo of insanity and death.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Putin is right Iran has every right to develop nuclear energy. And seeing how we signed the NPT we are supposed to help them develop it.

Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons

The NPT is often seen to be based on a central bargain: “the NPT non-nuclear-weapon states agree never to acquire nuclear weapons and the NPT nuclear-weapon states in exchange agree to share the benefits of peaceful nuclear technology and to pursue nuclear disarmament aimed at the ultimate elimination of their nuclear arsenals

But instead we sit back on take our orders from a rouge nuclear state that didn't sign the NPT really stupid of us huh?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Yeah. Weird, huh.

And yet, I believe North Korea is NOT an NPT signatory (at least not anymore...haven't checked in awhile), and has actually tested nuclear weapons, in addition to spouting much more rhetoric and being less stable than Iran. But at least they aren't primarily muslim, so I guess that's OK.

...or perhaps there's just no strategic or resource advantage to dealing with the "existential threat" they surely pose, if that's what we say Iran is?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Damn im glad Putin is back

I have always see a real leader in this guy
and that nobody can buy Russia
didnt Like Medvedev .. he lack of convictions

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
It's a damned shame some parties will never believe - or at least never ADMIT they believe - that that's all Iran is seeking to do, and instead will continue to beat the war drums up to a tempo of insanity and death.

How do you know? That's a bold statement. Not saying they are or they are not. I'm on the fence. We all should be, because we really don't know.

Don't say, "Because if Iran used it, it would be the end of them."

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

The quick and easy answer: I trust US and Israeli intelligence sources.

I don't trust US and Israeli politicians, for the vastly greatest part. And the politicians are almost unanimously disagreeing with at least all the intelligence sources I've seen various reports from since this started turning into a big news thing.

Yes, as with anything, caution is always warranted...but when things start getting oddly political to the point of intelligence reports and experts contradicting the claims of those pushing for war, something's off the rails. And in those matters, I prefer to consider the intelligence agencies the experts on the matter.

And pushing beyond that, some Israeli intelligences experts have gone on the record saying that even IF Iran were aiming for nuclear weapons themselves, it's for deterrent purposes and not aggressive ones - which seems entirely reasonable to me, given recent history and my view on foreign policy (which various intelligence experts on the record and somewhat divorced from political involvement also agree with). As well, they and at least one of our own have also said that Iran is *not* acting irrationally - I know you don't want to hear it based on your response, but they are not on the whole suicidal, and they do understand what the result would be.

Take care, Calgarian. Grace and peace.
edit on 6/7/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

The same intel that told us WMDs were in Iraq?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Hah...thankfully no, no laptops uncovered by - as far as I'm aware - "anonymous sources" in the Bush administration itself.

And this intel also squares with many prior releases from the IAEA as well, indicating that Iran's nuclear activities related to any weapons development ended in....2003, if I recall correctly. I can likely dig up some of my prior posts with sources and quotes if needed, but even Panetta came out a few months back and admitted Iran's not working on the bomb. I'm sure he was probably chastised quite thoroughly for that.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
why wont israel even admit or say what nukes they have
and why should it be so different when iran does the exact same thing
so where are the un inspectors why dont they demand to be shown israels nucleur weapons
why is every western nation afraid to call out these war mongering nucleur powered racists

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If Russia really wants to up the game they should move heavy military hardware and set up satellite bases in iran as per Irans courtesy and donate a few Topol-Ms to Iran as good gesture to shut up the zionists.

Then the zionists cant use a reason to invade Iran because Iran already has nuclear weapons that were donated to them lmao

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
first,,
i like russians,, when they don'dive,, it a hockey thing,,,
anyway
PRIME MINISTER,
I i may,
i ask one question,,
who,
what
were,
why?

too late.
and is it really Ras Putin?? ,,that old Devil??
are u really?
,,ohh the talk,, remember the bed bugs in the hockey players rooms,,

A Canadian,,
Best Damn Hockey i ever seen though,,,
what was that ,,
sorry,,
i linger a lot.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
They do have that right. Absolutely.

top topics

join