It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If god was proven, then what?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I would ask him why did you make all of your prophets out to be liars? They claim you are a God of love and compassion but where is the compassion in letting a child starve to death or letting them die from illness?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe in God but I don't believe on modern religion, the reason being that modem religion asks that all people bow down and WORSHIP GOD. Heres the problem with that, God being a supreme being would be perfect, he or she would not have such a personality flaw such as arrogance, only an arrogant being would demand that other beings should bow down and worship them. If I'm not mistaken the bible itself says that was lucifers fatal FLAW.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

God being a supreme being would be perfect, he or she would not have such a personality flaw such as arrogance

agreed...and to add to the list....revenge, mass murder of insignificant ants (us), jealousy, blind following under penalty of going to hell, asking for sacrifice...just to name the few.

This can not be almighty God...this can only be a product of a feeble human mind, with all it's deficiencies.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Then everyone is forced into behavior like automatons. (Who would dare ensure their own eternal destruction!) TRUE LOVE can ONLY exist when there is free will to choose to either love, to hate, or not pay attention.
edit on 8-6-2012 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Tbrooks76
Its ok and I don't care if you all think I'm crazy.

I will tell you all something personal, and why I ask this question...
I was an agnostic years ago, and something did happen to me so incredible, that it prove to myself there was a God. I'm not going to get into what that was, it's personal, but I had the event, that I'm asking you what you do if happen to you. It was something that really change the way I think about things. No drugs no drinking, I was driving down the road when I seen this event that can only be discribe as supernatural happen right in front, and no other cars around at the time.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Tbrooks76 because: (no reason given)

See, this is proof that you are not sure what you witnessed. If you witnessed something so undeniable, you would not flinch, nor care what other people would say to you. You are afraid that people will change your mind, or offer a logical explanation, and you don't want a logical explanation. You want to believe what you want to believe whether it's right or wrong. If I saw something that proved 100% that a god existed, I would scream it from the rooftops until they locked me away.

Oh yeah, and if someone offered a logical explanation, telling me that he saw this too, but he had a brain tumor, and when it was removed, the god things stopped, then I would accept this and get my gray matter checked for a tumor.
edit on 6/7/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

I was trying not to get too much detailed, but I actually was in car getting ready to drive down the road, I was sitting in my car, not quite driving yet, Long story but, I was getting ready to go do something I shouldn't have been when it happen and yes the event freaked me out at first, it lasted about 5 minutes or so afterward I was confused, exited, scared, and happy all at the same time, it was a very weird feeling, and something my mind had hard time excepting it. I know what I saw, but to this day at times I still question it anyways.

I've actually had this event happen, and one other happen to me. I also see a UFO one night along with friends, so I have addition witness with that. I can't explain the feeling of seeing something like that, to view something that’s not supposed to exist is very mind boggling, and making any kind of logical sense out it, is hard. I don’t expect people to believe it or understand. It was and is for me to believe or understand. I don’t know what to make of it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If god was proven as see able, hear able, object i would believe in it.

Worship, i don't know... be friends with it, OK.

The reason i'm an Atheist is because it seemed too silly to believe something that is not there.... and cannot be seen or heard... if the religious suffer.. the god is testing... if the religious get rich, god is rewarding....maybe its coinki-ding.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If the Christian God is real that would mean heaven and an afterlife is real. I would then ask this proven God why he built this toture chamber called life for us to endure before getting to go cozy up with him in paradise as a spirit or what ever. Why all the pain, why the tests, why design us to desire sex with more than one person. Why design us with anger that can lead to murder? Why?

I think if anything these and other questions prove the falseness of modern religon and their gods. Sure there might be a creator but it is nothing like what ancient man imagined and created in ancient scriptures.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I'd have to look outside for the flying pigs.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
this was spoken about in the Four Horseman get-together by some famous Atheists. I'm going off memory but I believe their argument was that religious people wouldn't actually want to live in a world where god was proven real.

Their reasoning for that argument I also forget, I'll try to find the video of the discussion

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I posted this on another post, but thinking about it, I wanted to see it as it's own thread just to get opinions.
This not a debate about creation or evolution, more of personal curiosity question.

I believe in God, and if someone proved to me without a dough, 100% evolution was real, I would admit I would be...disappointed, but I would move on and except it without too much complaining. Thats an honest answer, to best I believe I can prodict my own feelings, but you never know till it happens.

Now for the atheist and/or agnostic, I know its very much a hypothetical questions but...
If someone or something came along tomorrow that 100% without a dough proved God was real how would you feel about it.

Please, think about it for real, and try to answer honest, you found out God was real, Whats the reaction?

ok seen some post asking about evolution and creation...

NO!!!!
...lets not go to what theory is right or wrong, or talk about evolution vs creation. That another topic all together
I just want to know how most atheist would feel if all of sudden God was a real to them.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Tbrooks76 because: because

You left out the option of God and Evolution going hand in hand

i.e. , Evolution is the means by which God created which is my standing on the matter

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

NO!!!!
...lets not go to what theory is right or wrong, or talk about evolution vs creation. That another topic all together

I just want to know how most atheist would feel if all of sudden God was a real to them.

Oh, sorry, then it doesn't pertain to me. I should have read further ahead. (but saw a LOT of people that felt the same way I do about them going hand in hand!! YAYYYY)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Found it, starts discussing this at 17:30

it's only a brief point but relevant to the thread

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
ATS would try and debunk it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Its ok and I don't care if you all think I'm crazy.

I will tell you all something personal, and why I ask this question...
I was an agnostic years ago, and something did happen to me so incredible, that it prove to myself there was a God. I'm not going to get into what that was, it's personal, but I had the event, that I'm asking you what you do if happen to you. It was something that really change the way I think about things. No drugs no drinking, I was driving down the road when I seen this event that can only be discribe as supernatural happen right in front, and no other cars around at the time.

Jumping off the original purpose with you for a few minutes:
Life events often convince us that there is (sometimes isn't) a more powerful force out there. For me, I have deep deep belief (won't say absolute proof since I'm also a scientist) in God, but not in the way he is portrayed by the current churches. I think many, if not most of them have it very wrong in their interpretation. I see the bible as more of a history book based on God. This doesn't mean that God isn't real, it's just the the story about God is being told from the perspective of man, not the perspective of God. As with any history book or any story from a given perspective, they do accurately portray many of the events, but also inaccurately portray other events or the purpose of events. I don't see the bible as a verbatem, unbiased description of what went on nor are the human experiences meant to be an instruction book for what we are to do. It tells us that God created all that is over a time period. An issue comes up for those that believe it was done in 6 twentyfour hour time periods and he rested on the 7th twentyfour hour time period. But, from the scientific perspective we see that the rotation of the earth, the revolution of it and the expansion of the universe would dictate that our concept of the passage of time isn't what it always was. The bible alludes to this by telling us that to God, a thousand years is just as a moment and a moment is as a thousand years. So I have a descriptive source from the accepted version of what God is said to be for my understanding of the information presented which negates the interpretation of those who wish to go verbatem.
The humans who lived 900 years, 400 years and so on were measuring a year by how long it took for the earth to revolve around the sun. What if a year during their life was equal to a few months of what we now experience? That would explain a great deal about the longevity.
It is said that God created Adam from the dust of the earth, i.e., he is a carbon based lifeform as are the other living things on the earth. God created the other animals as a "helpmeet" or "social companion" for Adam and none of them were up to snuff, so he made another human, just a little bit different (gender) and things were a little better. The two of them screwed up and ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, i.e, they developed thought processes that made them ask questions and search for answers instead of being blind, obediant "animatronics". As a result, they were expelled from the garden and sent to "create their own existance" by procreating, living, dying....perhaps something we may do if our artificial intelligence were to exhibit the ability to build on previous knowledge, have emotion, basically have "real life", maybe not, but it's a thought, we are biological machines to an extent....
Anyway...there are thousands of examples and thousands of other interpretations and opinions, some agreeing and some disagreeing, etc.

so... the whole reason for me typing all this and going on and on....

The reaction would depend a great deal upon the nature of "God" that was proven and the degree of disbelief the athiest may have as well as any emotional reason for the disbelief. It is impossible to prove a negative, so there is no way to prove there is NOT a God, but it is possible to prove a positive, so it is plausible to show that there IS a God, if there is a God. So, the theological will never be deterred, but the non-theological could possibly be convinced and that is what has perpetuated the concept of religion throughout our existance. We will never, ever, throughout all eternity ever be able to prove that there is no God, it's an impossibility due to the nature of science itself. That leaves the proof that there is a God as one of the "unsolved problems" of the universe. It doesn't say it's unsolvable, just that it's unsolved, therefore, it remains a premise and will always remain a premise. Some will dismiss the premise but will not be able to prove that the premise, at it's base, is not possible. They can show contradictions in individual theories based on the premise and abandon those theories, but the basic premise that there is a power outside our existance will remain throughout our existance.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If the god of the christian bible were proven within my lifetime, well... since I already have no choice but to go to hell, I might as well SEX, DRUGS, ROCK AND ROLL for the rest of my life

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Now for the atheist and/or agnostic, I know its very much a hypothetical questions but...
If someone or something came along tomorrow that 100% without a dough proved God was real how would you feel about it.

Please, think about it for real, and try to answer honest, you found out God was real, Whats the reaction?

I'm assuming you mean the christian god. And, honestly, I would feel absolute hate for this entity. It would mean he deliberately set up Adam and Eve to fail. It would mean he ALLOWED satan to tempt us. It would mean he actually did kill everyone and everything in a flood. It would mean he really did kill all of the firstborn of Egypt. He really did turn a woman into a pillar of salt just for turning around and looking at the destruction of the twin sin cities. It would mean he really did answer someone's prayer about finding a lost wedding ring, and let millions of children starve to death. It would mean he really did cause a miracle to cure someone of cancer, but allowed millions of other to die from it.

No, this god better not be real.

I can completely agree that if the theory of the God as described by the fundamental evangelical groups was proven to be an actuality that I would most likely strike out against the existance and work against it. Not saying I am against the theory of God that is presented from the perspective of man's undertanding of him as depicted in the bible, just that I'm against their interpretation of what he did vs what happened and his desire for doing things, his interaction, his motives. Their interpretation is inherently flawed and is doing more to destroy the acceptance of the existance of God as depicted from the perspective of man than to encourage it.
I completely reject THEIR interpretation of the existance of God but still support the possibility/probability that God does exist and the bible is the story of man's understanding and perception of who and what God happens to be.... as are the writings of the other ancient religions.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm a guy who is 50/50 on the whole god thing. I wish 100% I could be proven that a god exists but in reality a god just doesn't make sense in the whole grand scheme of things. More and more it seems we have all been deceived by false prophets claiming to be a god so we would worship them and give them what they want. Regardless though...having a god would be the best thing for humanity. 100% proof of no god would be the end of our demise.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

As someone who does not believe in either a theistic, or deistic God head, I can tell you this much.

I have based my life, thus far, on the evidence that surrounds me on a daily basis. If someone proved 100% that there was a God, I have no choice but to accept it.

Now, for how I would feel about it, I can only speculate. I think, at first, I would be amazed at such a revalation, but my amazement would turn very quickly into an anger. I don't like using 'anger' here, as I think it gives the wrong impression, but I would certainly have questions.

Why would s/he have allowed all of the suffering that we witness daily, that cannot be explained away by 'free will'. Why did it take so long, and why did s/he allow so many wars fought in his/her name, and not just pop down earlier to settle such conflicts. There are THOUSANDS of gods, and THOUSANDS of religions. They cannot all be right, so my questions might be more fine tuned if I knew which faith this supposed God represented.

I think, without facing this situation, this is the best I can answer, I would accept it as reality, but it wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling it might give some others,
edit on 8-6-2012 by Daemonicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon

As someone who does not believe in either a theistic, or deistic God head, I can tell you this much.

I have based my life, thus far, on the evidence that surrounds me on a daily basis. If someone proved 100% that there was a God, I have no choice but to accept it.

Now, for how I would feel about it, I can only speculate. I think, at first, I would be amazed at such a revalation, but my amazement would turn very quickly into an anger. I don't like using 'anger' here, as I think it gives the wrong impression, but I would certainly have questions.

Why would s/he have allowed all of the suffering that we witness daily, that cannot be explained away by 'free will'. Why did it take so long, and why did s/he allow so many wars fought in his/her name, and not just pop down earlier to settle such conflicts. There are THOUSANDS of gods, and THOUSANDS of religions. They cannot all be right, so my questions might be more fine tuned if I knew which faith this supposed God represented.

I think, without facing this situation, this is the best I can answer, I would accept it as reality, but it wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling it might give some others,

To add. If this God, upon arrival, cast judgement on all of his 'children' and damned, someone like me, to Hell, I wouldn't understand. I cannot just blindly believe someone or something based on 'faith'. If this God is half what is claimed of him, and he really is the source for my being and intelligence, he would have to understand my disbelief in him. He has offered no CLEAR evidence of his existence. The only 'evidence' that is around is questionable at best. If he gave me this brain, capable of critical thinking, I don't see how he would damn me for using it.

edit on 8-6-2012 by Daemonicon because: Spelling/Clarity

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I was trying not to get too much detailed, but I actually was in car getting ready to drive down the road, I was sitting in my car, not quite driving yet, Long story but, I was getting ready to go do something I shouldn't have been when it happen and yes the event freaked me out at first, it lasted about 5 minutes or so afterward I was confused, exited, scared, and happy all at the same time, it was a very weird feeling, and something my mind had hard time excepting it. I know what I saw, but to this day at times I still question it anyways.

You still didn't say what you saw. Was it a bright light? A man talking to you? What makes you so sure it was god, let alone the Christian god?

If god was proven, then I'd believe, it's that simple, but a random strange event or light in the sky or whatever it may be isn't empirical proof of the Christian god or any god. It is you experiencing something strange and exhilarating and then forcing the conclusion of what it was based on raw emotion. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me at least. I'm interested in what you saw.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join