It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Discovers Unprecedented Blooms Of Ocean Plant Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It looks like NASA has found something really cool. Lots of plant life that they didn't previously think exhisted. This has a lot of implications on "global warming". Seems these things suck up a lot of carbon dioxide.

Source

"If someone had asked me before the expedition whether we would see under-ice blooms, I would have told them it was impossible," said Kevin Arrigo of Stanford University in Stanford, Calif., leader of the ICESCAPE mission and lead author of the new study. "This discovery was a complete surprise."

Time to redo those models. Maybe, just maybe, there's a natural cycle?

Bontempi believes the discovery also may have major implications for the global carbon cycle and the ocean's energy balance. "The discovery certainly indicates we need to revise our understanding of the ecology of the Arctic and the region's role in the Earth system," Bontempi said.

edit on 7-6-2012 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Just goes to show that Mother Nature knows what she's doing.

At some point we humans will finally understand and accept that our universe runs in cycles, and we have no control over them...although many like to think that we do. We may not always like the way our world works and how it effects us, but it's not our choice.

All we can do is respect and take care of the world around us, and Mother Nature will provide us what we need.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
S&F - I love these finds. I included the video from Nasa below:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Thanks for the video. Very cool!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Nah, there's no such thing as global warming.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
S&F

Nice find. It is amazing how many species have yet to be discovered. Earth will never cease to amaze its inhabitants.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Sol23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It must have been caused by global warming. I blame George Bush.

This may be the biggest battleground between individuals and the NWO. The claim of global warming allows some to demand a global, enforceable, solution. Thus the demand for a one world government. The financial crisis is another possible area for OWG types to step forward, at least at the continental level. Perhaps the Muslim Caliphate might be another, but global warming seems to be the most pressing threat.

I will be very pleased when global warming no longer influences any American policy decisions.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
These things probably do what they do when CO2 levels rise, which balances out the equation, thus the spike in global warming is small. I can't stand how people think that the ice age and subsequent melting means nothing.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

really makes you wonder what else is in our seas and how much we have left to learn and find
and people say the age of discovery is over

edit on 7-6-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Where in the article are the previous posters in this thread getting that this somehow 'refutes' 'global warming'? Nothing in the article even begins to imply that is the case.

In fact, if anything, it is saying that these sorts of blooms will continue as the climate continues to warm since they appear to thrive under newly formed 'thin' ice that is a direct cause of warming arctic waters.

The finding reveals a new consequence of the Arctic's warming climate and provides an important clue to understanding the impacts of a changing climate and environment on the Arctic Ocean and its ecology.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

There is actually quite a bit of data that indicates that there are cycles outside of our influence which affect the climate.

A post I made here implicates space dust in a previous warming cycle.

And then there is this post which discusses the impacts of water vapor and deep ocean heating.

Now, I am not saying that we humans are not affect our ecology, I just don't think we are having as much affect as those pushing carbon taxes are implying.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Phytoplannkton feed on iron rich whale poop ... gotta look after our whales.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
so we don't know everything yet? bummer.

sadly though i doubt this will change AGW supporter's opinions on the natural climate change cycle.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

And NONE of that relates to the information in the article which, as NASA explicitly points out, is likely related to the warming of the climate.

So pretending that this article is somehow contradicting climate change is false, and idiotic.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I will grant you that the contents of my previous post do not address the information in the news article, however I do believe that I have found the study being referenced:

Shifting Patterns of Life in the Pacific Arctic and Sub-Arctic Seas

From the abstract:

Recent changes in the timing of sea ice formation and retreat, along with increasing seawater temperatures, are driving shifts in marine species composition that may signal marine ecosystem reorganization in the Pacific Arctic sector. Interannual variability in seasonal sea ice retreat in the north- ern Bering Sea has been observed over the past decade; north of the Bering Strait, the Chukchi Sea ecosystem has had consistent earlier spring sea ice retreat and later fall sea ice formation.

The general gist is that ice retreat in the summer is happening sooner and lasting longer than in previous years. The retreat also travels further, which affects the fauna in the ocean. This has an obvious aftect on the food chains and being as those chains are short, those effects are more dramatic.

Reading the paper, it is obvious that those conducting the study take anthropogenic global waing as fact, so you would be correct in asserting that the OPs initial conclusion is flawed.

My point in referencing the posts I made in those other threads was that no matter the impact we humans are having on our climate (the amount of which is debatable), there are larger cycles at work and forcings well beyond what we are able to impact that also play a role in how our climate responds.

Again, not to say that we are havig no impact on our climate. I just think its hubris to assume that we are the main force driving that change.

A bit more on topic while also presenting my prior point, I hope.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

The general gist is that ice retreat in the summer is happening sooner and lasting longer than in previous years. The retreat also travels further, which affects the fauna in the ocean. This has an obvious aftect on the food chains and being as those chains are short, those effects are more dramatic.

Reading the paper, it is obvious that those conducting the study take anthropogenic global waing as fact, so you would be correct in asserting that the OPs initial conclusion is flawed.

My point in referencing the posts I made in those other threads was that no matter the impact we humans are having on our climate (the amount of which is debatable), there are larger cycles at work and forcings well beyond what we are able to impact that also play a role in how our climate responds.

Again, not to say that we are havig no impact on our climate. I just think its hubris to assume that we are the main force driving that change.

A bit more on topic while also presenting my prior point, I hope.

I see your point now. Thanks for taking the time to clarify. And I do not wholly disagree.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
Nah, there's no such thing as global warming.

You mean "there is no such thing as Anthropogenic Global Warming".

You see, "global Warming" just like "global cooling" are NATURAL and happen quite frequently.

top topics

join