It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Disclosure: Who has the most to lose - Governments or Religions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Let's please take the question of ongoing ET contact with the governments/elites of the world out of the equation, that is a discussion for another thread.

Let this be hypothetical disclosure.

It's my opinion these two groups think they have the most to lose, in terms of power, position, prestige, control etc.

However, I think religions are missing the boat. Just because more advanced races exist in the Galaxy and the Universe, it does not disprove the existence of God - more advanced beings had to have come from somewhere - religions should exploit that to their advantage - and get on-board with the disclosure process.

With governments though, there is much more to lose. Imagine the reaction of the masses to ET's that are here to help us, have better technology, knowledge and intelligence than the best of our governments? For future issues would people look to government or the ET's for guidance? I think people would quickly stop paying attention to the government, paying taxes etc and look to the ET's for guidance.

So who do you think comes off worse with "hypothetical" disclosure, governments or religions? Are there any other groups out there trying to coverup the "hypothetical" ongoing alien contact that I have missed?

EDIT: Reflecting upon this question and some of the posts below I guess the answer to this question would depend on one of three possible alien intentions:

1. The aliens are here to help us - this is the situation I intended in the question

2. The aliens just announce their presence but are neither here to help or harm us or earth

3. The aliens are here to harm/exploit humans/planet earth - I think in this case it would at least benefit governments, maybe not religions - I think most people realize this, and this case is not what I intended the "hypothetical" situation to be

edit on 7-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: correction

edit on 7-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: syntax

edit on 7-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: clarification

edit on 7-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I have pondered that question as well.

If all we are talking about is "disclosing" the truth about ETs, then I would say Governments don't have that much to lose.

For the most part, the governments would stay intact and the elected officials would keep their jobs ....except maybe a few at the top.

IMO ....Religions, in the end, would lose it all. Most religions base their beliefs off the fact that God created Man in his own image. I'm sure Catholics and Muslims could twist the words around and try to make it fit once disclosure happens ...... but, over time people will wise up and maybe years or weeks after the disclosure they will have fully comprehended that the ETs are not the same God we talk about in the Bible and Quran.

I see it happening like this ....

-Planet Earth gets "disclosure"

-100 -500 years later, all religions will have either faded away or will have morphed into something completely different.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Neither. Both would evolve to take advantage of the situation. The only case where it would be detrimental to government is if it implied that the government knew about it previously and lied about it, which I think would blow over quickly regardless.

Remember the whole "project blue beam" nonsense being spouted by the conspiratorial crowd. Supposedly the government is going to make a fake alien invasion...

So they cover up real ones to keep everyone from going nuts...
So they make up their own to get martial law or something....

Rather conflicting isn't it?

edit on 7-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I doubt any government has anything groundbreaking pertaining to UFOs, so if disclosure did happen, they should say, "Sorry, we got nothing", but of course no one would believe that, so their probably considering making something up to satisfy people's curiosity and further some sort of agenda.

Truth and reality have the most to lose from disclosure.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

...but, over time people will wise up and maybe years or weeks after the disclosure they will have fully comprehended that the ETs are not the same God we talk about in the Bible and Quran.

Yeah, but then you would just end up with Alpha Centurion Jesus and Alpha Centurion Prophet Mohammed....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They would both be immensely affected, but I think in today's world there are more people angry at there governments than people that are angry at their religious leaders. If people don't like their religious leaders, they change sides, because they can since it is a personal matter. Now even if you change religions or modify your beliefs, you and your the other religious (or not) folk are under the same thumb of your more often than not lackluster government.

If you are at the mercy of your crappy government, you want it to change, and who better to seek change from than aliens who, considering they got here, probably have better organizational skills and are more politically competent.

That being said, people would be looking to the aliens for help in any problem they encounter.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think religion would be the loser if ET landed. I believe it will challenge everything religion has taught us.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Good question
If leaving out all the conspiracy theories of the this and view it neutrally;
On the one hand, I was actually tempted to say the Governemt, but can, when thinking closer upon it, not actually find out a very good reason as for exactly why that would be, other than that they would possibly feel like they had their "Territory" and field of power invaded, so to speak.

In fact, I firmy believe, or perhaps rather knows, that the people that would have the hardest time with Disclosure, would actually be the groups of religious people that refuse to accept intelligent ET-life and that hence would fall into a psychological breakdown and start preaching about Demons and Fallen Angels and refuse to give the arriving visitors any chance regardless of what, and potentially even start a "Holy War" against these "Fallen angels" and "Devils", potentially even further resulting in a Planetary War. A War which, ofcourse, that even more religious extremists would take as "Proof" for the Visitors being "Evil", resulting in a self fulfilling prophecy.

The ironic thing is, that what these religious fundamental extremists would fail to realize, is, that if the "Visitors" would somehow be able to prove that they, for instance, were the ones behind all the major religions, then that in itself would actually prove the religious texts as being based on truth and NOT fantasy, although a later on and by man distorted truth.

Anyway, people will always declare what they either do not understand or that do not fit into their view of the World, as "Evil", and especially so in large groups influenced by religion.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Governments are under the control/influence of religious organizations i.e the Vatican. That about answers your question.

edit:

Actually none of them lose, they'll depopulate the globe, we lose. The only reason the Government keeps such information classified is so the church and or other religious organizations maintain power.

Chaos will break out for a while but I'm sure it will be nothing the Governments of this world and the one world army (U.N peace keeping, NATO etc) wouldn't have problems solving.
edit on 7-6-2012 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
They would both be immensely affected, but I think in today's world there are more people angry at there governments than people that are angry at their religious leaders. If people don't like their religious leaders, they change sides, because they can since it is a personal matter. Now even if you change religions or modify your beliefs, you and your the other religious (or not) folk are under the same thumb of your more often than not lackluster government.

If you are at the mercy of your crappy government, you want it to change, and who better to seek change from than aliens who, considering they got here, probably have better organizational skills and are more politically competent.

That being said, people would be looking to the aliens for help in any problem they encounter.

Kids were getting raped in the Catholic Church and the Church new about it, covered it up, and moved Priests to new locations so they could continue their practice without prosecution.

And people still go to the bloody churches.

If people are willing to be that stupid after these things came to light, I don't really see what impact aliens will have on the followers....

Besides bring the possibility of alien rape...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The religious folk would probly start a war with any kind of aliens, you know what there like probly say there demons or something.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517

For the most part, the governments would stay intact and the elected officials would keep their jobs ....except maybe a few at the top.

I think at the least they would have to slim down quite a bit - again assuming at least one race of technologically aliens was here to help us - think about just a few of the major issues:

1. Aliens help us develop clean, abundant energy and the cheap distributions sytems to go along with it - many governments are involved in the production and delivery of energy.

2. Many rumors of friendly aliens shutting down nuclear weapons - there is quite a bit of infrastructure and organization surrounding these weapons in the major countries.

Basically, what I'm saying is that if friendly aliens could help us with the major issues of the world, such as energy, pollution and health care - this would undercut many government organizations and initiatives.

IMO ....Religions, in the end, would lose it all. Most religions base their beliefs off the fact that God created Man in his own image.

This is based on the assumption that if aliens exist they are NOT like us, what if they are very similar to us? I mean look at the differences between humans on earth, for example pygmies and the largest African or European races (ever been to Amsterdam - those people are TALL!) and all genetically considered human. IF aliens were similar to us, I would think this would be exploited by religions.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody
I think religion would be the loser if ET landed. I believe it will challenge everything religion has taught us.

Why?

The answer to the OP's question is definetely government.

Depending on your religion I would say. I believe that god created all mankind....That is not limited to only mankind on earth....If there are other civilizations out there, which I would highly believe there are, god created them also.

The entire universe is gods creation, there would be no lack of faith in god from me if aliens landed today!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I don't believe the followers of any religion will act anything but hysterically after ET lands.

Look how they act now over books and Koran burning and the personal choice of atheism.

Rational is not in the religious vocabulary.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Why would religions lose anything by being told that God's creation is in more places than just this planet? If there are other creatures who are brighter than us does that mean we reject God? I don't see it.

We were made in His image? How does that conflict with different shaped ETs that were formed in some other image?

ETs would just increase my admiration for God and the variety of His creation. Please, honestly, how would this hurt religion?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Whether we believe in God or not, Governments will exist, but religion will fall apart. Guns won't disappear and neither will the army/police force so I really don't seem to see how Government can lose? Other than the fact that no one will trust them any longer.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Both equally do, they both have lied & covered up the existence to the general public. Once it is OFFICIALLY disclosed, the people will not trust either one. Both will be scrambling to give the reasons for their actions.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Why would religions lose anything by being told that God's creation is in more places than just this planet? If there are other creatures who are brighter than us does that mean we reject God? I don't see it.

We were made in His image? How does that conflict with different shaped ETs that were formed in some other image?

ETs would just increase my admiration for God and the variety of His creation. Please, honestly, how would this hurt religion?

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody

Why?

The answer to the OP's question is definetely government.

Depending on your religion I would say. I believe that god created all mankind....That is not limited to only mankind on earth....If there are other civilizations out there, which I would highly believe there are, god created them also.

The entire universe is gods creation, there would be no lack of faith in god from me if aliens landed today!

I was kind of thinking along the lines of these posts, but as other posters pointed out above as well - religious fanatics are not exactly rational - not saying all people who are religious are fanatics - you know what I mean.
edit on 7-6-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: addendum

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If disclosure happened it would mean that the government has been lying to the public for more then 60 years, investigations into illegal acts to protect the secret would no doubt take place and people would immediately strip power away from a government that is currently hellbent on increasing its own power. No government gives up power without a fight.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

What if we're contacted by missionary ETs? You know, like zealots and fundamentalists? Maybe the idea of friendly ETs with parcels of free energy devices and spiritual wisdom will turn out to be only a dream?

Some would argue that any species with the technology for visiting other worlds would have gotten over their aggressive tendencies. They'd say that 'to get past the nuclear age without destroying themselves' would obviously require them to be friendly. They'd add that these potential visitors would have already learned from the mistakes we're making and come as teachers - benign and helpful.

It could happen.

Then again, they might be on the back-end of their own 'Dark Ages' and come with the zeal for conversion and control. Religions on this world might just be tossed out in favour of a new religion from their world..

We just can't know.

Potentially, we all might lose out and see one style of Government be replaced by another. In our own history, we've seen repeated instances of both happening simultaneously.

I'm not trying to get all negative-conspiracy in the thread, but a lot of people have put a lot of their faith in being 'saved' by the Folk from Elsewhere. It'd be cool if we were contacted by Good Samaritans and yet they are in a small minority in our world and might be just as rare elsewhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join