It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma City Thunder...NBA Western Conference Champions....so cool it's weird

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
For most of my life I have lived in a city that was "too little", was "country"...if I traveled outside of the state, most people didn't know the difference between OKC and the State of OK. "there's an actual city there" I was once asked.

In 1995 we suffered a bombing, and we were finally on the map, but for a tragedy. In 1999, 2003, and 2011 we were on the map again for F4/F5 tornado's.

Up until 2005 we never had a national professional sports team. We had minor league baseball and hockey. We of course have University of Oklahoma Football, one of the best all time college teams in the country, just south in Norman, but nothing uniquely OKC. Most people picked a favorite professional team in Dallas, Denver, or KS. The closest "big" cities that had nationally competing teams.

After Hurrican Katrina hit the New Orleans Hornets made us their temporary home, and the NBA took notice of our city's response to it's adopted team.

So when local owners bought the Sonics, and Seattle refused to play ball, the NBA approved the move. And yet still many said, "OKC, their too little, their too hick, why would someone go there?"

Now, well after 4 years, we stand on the cusp of basketball greatness.

And I feel finally we are known for something other then the tragedy of bombings and tornados. So cool it's kind of weird.

Come check us out, OKC, home of the Thunder.

And also home to one of the most recession proof living areas in the country,.Low unemployment, affordable housing, etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7-6-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Please, just don't ask us about that bridge. I have NO idea what they were thinking...

Thanks Commander. I think Oklahoma would actually surprise some people with its difference from what they'd expect. It's a fairly eclectic state.
edit on 6/7/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Are you talking about the "scissor-tail fly catcher" over the new I-40 cross town? Yeah, it looks like a failed transformer.....but kind of cool in a weird sort of way.

It's the phalic Devon Tower I am still getting used too. Cool, but vastly larger then the other downtown skyscrapers. There is very few places you can't see it from. If I go to the "uphill" part of my neighborhood I can see it, especially at night. And I live out between Yukon and Piedmont
edit on 7-6-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander

Are you talking about the "scissor-tail fly catcher" over the new I-40 cross town? Yeah, it looks like a failed transformer.....but kind of cool in a weird sort of way.

Bingo. And...meh. It's just odd and unattractive in my view, from the pictures I've seen. Does it always have colored lights at night, or was that just for a promotional or news video I saw?

It's the phalic Devon Tower I am still getting used too. Cool, but vastly larger then the other downtown skyscrapers. There is very few places you can't see it from. If I go to the "uphill" part of my neighborhood I can see it, especially at night. And I live out between Yukon and Piedmont

I haven't been down to the city in awhile to see it completed. So, it's a little disproportionate to the rest of the OKC skyline, then? Hopefully it doesn't look too terribly out of place.

Take care, friend.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

So.....
How bad was the riot in Oklahoma?
Were there any cars burned and overturned?
How do the storefronts look, any broken plate windows?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
None of that here.......this isn't Detroit.....or even Columbus, Ohio....

Course if we win the finals....who knows.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I think it lights up all the time. I don't drive that way too often though, stay mostly on the NW side.

Here is the wiki stie on devon tower,....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I moved from Cali to Oklahoma a couple years ago. Visited OKC about 5 times, I like it. Its like a combination modern city with a vintage feel to it. It was clean, pretty good traffic flow.

At night time, don't know what its called but its like an outdoor mall with a little boat ride that takes people across the place.. that was nice.

Anyway back on topic, its pretty cool our only pro sport team made the finals.. I think most of America watch will be cheering for OKC since it is the "small, humble" city and Miami.. well that have the NBAs villian people love to Hate in Lebron and Miami is a party city.

new topics

top topics

join