It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Consciousness. Can our Consciousness survive death.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Consciousness defines our existence and reality, but the mechanism by which

the brain generates thoughts and feelings remains unknown.

Dr. Stuart Hameroff: Says the question of how would that explain consciousness and that’s when he got into the quantum stuff. Now at the same time, in parallel, he was studying the mechanism of anesthesia. He is an anesthesiologist but he also an academician and his research has to do with anesthetic mechanisms and consciousness. Dr Hameroff says I think understanding how anesthetics actually act is a tremendous tool or lever to get at the problem of consciousness. That’s been his strategy.

It turns out that anesthetics act strictly by quantum level forces, very weak London forces in phases or regions inside proteins which are conducive to quantum processes. So his research has led him into the quantum realm, working with Roger Penrose and also because anesthesia acts strictly by quantum forces. I will break it down.
In the brain there are these things called microtubules .watch this.. youtu.be...

edit on 7-6-2012 by terry456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
There are hints that the thinking mind may survive physical "death". The Egyptians whole cosmology was based on the belief that the soul could walk the stars. Earthly life was spent in preperation for traveling the celestial waters. Totally opposite of what we are taught. They also stated that the soul could be transformed. Plato also stated that "the mind will find the ultimate truth when it leaves the body." Such a powerful statement. The words "afterlife" must mean something...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Answer:

Yes. Because death is an illusion, in fact it is the end of the illusion that is dualistic 3D life here on Earth.

Bill Hicks was right.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by terry456

Did you post this in 'the grey area, personnal stories'? I ask this because i posted earlier in 'psychology, philosophy and metaphysics' and my post was immedietly moved to the grey area.
Maybe it's just me.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Penrose's and Hameroff's theory of consciousness is yet another desperate attempt by scientists to give it a physical explanation. But, if consciousness does, indeed, survive death, then the brain does not GENERATE consciousness and any physical explanation is misconceived right from the start. Rather, scientists should be proposing that consciousness is the "operating system" in computer language, whilst the brain is merely the mother board, hard drive and memory rolled into one. Some accounts of NDEs, during which people without detecable brainwave activity both heard and saw what was happening inside the operating theatre, demonstrate that you can be conscious, see from a perspective OUTSIDE your head and be able to think even when doctors would regard you as brain dead. And it is no use arguing that such an experience is merely an hallucination generated by an oxygen-starved brain. No information carried by electromagnetic waves could have passed through closed eyes, along the optic nerve and into the brain that would create such hallucinations about what was happening at the time. Here we have irrefutable evidence, non-explainable in materialistic terms, that one can remain aware of the environment even when one's brain has no measurable electrical activity and sensory channels like sight are blocked. The fact that the NDE did not constitute actual death is beside the point. If I see or hear things that my brain could not possibly have known about at the time, then I have EVERY right to claim that my consciousness does not in principle need a brain and, therefore, that it will continue after the death of my brain.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The issue is the words 'alive and dead'. We are neither alive nor dead so we can never die.
We are what sees the appearance of existence.
Existence will never stop appearing to us.

We see people die and believe that is the end for them but they have only ended for us, they have disappeared. They reappear in dreams sometimes though.
Appearances and disappearances is all you will ever know.
But you, the seer and knower of the continuously changing appearance, is constant, unchanging throughout.
The magnificence of impermanence can only be known by the permanent.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

psychologists often speak of the mind and the body as two separate entities for convenience, but most acknowledge that they are intimately entwined. Yet none knows exactly how or how intimately.? If NDE are real and that's a big if consciousness is therefore a non material entity capable of independent eternal existence. Anesthetic takes away consciouneness. so then dose consciouneness realy come from our brain.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You are conscious of comings and goings. You are conscious, you are aware that things come into your presence and then are gone. Leaves are not on trees in the winter and then they appear from nowhere and then flowers appear but nothing stays. The flower in the morning will not look the same in the evening.
All things that you see, experience, appears and disappear. Sound is the best way to test this. Musical notes have to disappear continually for a tune to be played.

You are the one that witnesses the appearance and disappearance of existence. But you as consciousness, the witness, will not end. You might see the body end. You see the beginning and end of a thought but you are the one that is there before during and after everything.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Some scientists and doctors have even gone as far to say that consciousness exists outside the brain, and that our brain is just an interface between consciousness and the physical body. Think of your brain as a computer and consciousness as software.

Interesting, to say the least.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

One of the more advanced theories that modern Psychologists are studying is that connection between mind and body. It has been studied in relation to the placebo effect with interesting results, meaning people that took the sugar pill received the same benefits as those that were administered the actual medicine. The problem with with the testing is the body gets better, but even with advanced tools, such as Fmri, we are unable to see which part of the brain is activating and at what point during these tests. So, unlike our traditional methods of looking into a working, live brain to see where problem areas may be (lesions, brain damage, ect..) we cannot see what is working and active during these periods of healing because there is a limitation of what our advanced machines can see and we don't actually know where to look to see the "work" being done. It just seems to have significantly affected the outcome.

Psychology as a science is very young compared to other fields. I have faith that we will find some way to prove this connection.

Brain-Body connection is also studied in relation to stress, which has been confirmed to cause heart disease, but we don't know why because of similar reasons above.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by terry456

:bar f:
:fl ame:
:fla me:

edit on 9-6-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
who knows?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Consciousness is subjective experience or awareness. Here let me put a finger on it for you: Quantum physicists deduced that consciousness can be a particle which is smaller than any known particle. This is why we are able to 'observe' absolutely everything, (from atoms and subatomic particles, to galaxies or universes.) Consciousness is in a process of growth because it is the growth of awareness; it is part of the evolutionary process. As humans evolved, their awareness has grown dramatically and have become more conscious beings.

Now can consciousness survive death you ask? Well I believe that we are spiritual beings having a human experience, not the other way around. Our human bodies are physical vessels(3rd density slow-spinning vibration of atoms)that contain our spiritual bodies(5th density fast-spinning vibration of atoms) and we continue on a spirtual experience torward the expansion of knowledge after our physical bodies expire within that lifetime and we decide whether or not to incarnate back into the physical realms of existence to test ourselves and have new and different experiences through consciousness. I don't know what I am because I wouldn't say "I don't know what religion I am", I know that I just AM what I AM because I am just an aspect of everything that already exists, experiencing itself through a different set of lense. Thanks for your time

edit on 28-6-2012 by xAlbinoniblAx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is a great thread!!!!! There is definitely something to the "spark" we all have. All we can do is wait our turns to see.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was actually going to make a thread about this after reading this blog which describes a lot of what you just said.

Life After Death: Quantum Entanglement

The soul, consciousness, and what happens to it after we die is a foundational staple to many of the religious beliefs that make up 85% of the worlds population. For many, these beliefs are a matter of faith on the same level as the belief in the existence of God.

It is no wonder that classical science has shied away from this topic. Science likes to deal with things that are measureable and objective in nature. Even today, science is hard pressed to explain normal everyday consciousness, let alone trying to postulate what happens to consciousness after death. However, there are new theories being developed based on quantum physics, the science of the microscopic world, that may once and for all shed some light on what consciousness is, and ultimately, if it continues on after death.

One of these interesting theories is the Penrose-Hameroff Orch-OR (Orchestrated Objective Reduction) theory, developed by theoretical physicist Sir Roger Penrose, and anesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff.

The Orch-OR theory proposes that consciousness is the result of quantum computing within the brain, and, can give rise to the ability for our consciousness to survive after death through a process called quantum entanglement.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
The issue is the words 'alive and dead'. We are neither alive nor dead so we can never die. We are what sees the appearance of existence. Existence will never stop appearing to us.

We see people die and believe that is the end for them but they have only ended for us, they have disappeared. They reappear in dreams sometimes though.
Appearances and disappearances is all you will ever know.
But you, the seer and knower of the continuously changing appearance, is constant, unchanging throughout.
The magnificence of impermanence can only be known by the permanent.

Thank you! That's the best explanation I've ever read - and so well put.(And I've read more than a lot about this subject, both academically and anecdotally).

What springs to mind as I think about 'neither alive nor dead' is the simulation hypothesis. Neither alive nor dead would make perfect sense in such a scenario. So would quantum physics - nothing exists until it's observed, matter is an illusion, non-locality etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Really great post. Added a lot to what I've been thinking about lately.

Great to see people thinking alike.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The problem is that said doctor is studying "others" for his opinion about consciousness. He should study himself, as he alone, can tell himself what it is all about. There is no way to study another person's consciousness and determine anything useful, you can only determine your "life after death" from your own point of view.

It isn't life after death, it is life after body and we had life before the body and we have it while in a body and we'll have it after, but you will only know this by studying yourself.

top topics

join