It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long does it take for grass to dry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well I want to mow my yard right now because it's nice and cool and I want to do it before the Sun starts to get hot and I have to have it done before I go to work today. I just went out there to check and the dew on the grass is still wet.

If I go to do it now, it's going to kill the blades on my riding lawn mower. BAH....

Hmm

When is a good time to mow the yard when you go to mow it in the mornings?

Any experts?... Got to be some yard lovers in here.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Make hay while the sun shines. Good old country wisdom.
I don't know the saying for when to do the cutting though.
Good luck!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Got to get rid of the stupid Dandelions taking over my grass.

I think they are just about the same height as my fence.

Annoying.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Well I want to mow my yard right now because it's nice and cool and I want to do it before the Sun starts to get hot and I have to have it done before I go to work today. I just went out there to check and the dew on the grass is still wet.

If I go to do it now, it's going to kill the blades on my riding lawn mower. BAH....

Hmm

When is a good time to mow the yard when you go to mow it in the mornings?

Any experts?... Got to be some yard lovers in here.

just watch the teens with the gass cans, They know how to destroy grass, there probably not going to burn it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
It doesn´t kill the blades or makes them dull. Its just a dirty mess and its not good for the grass. The blade wont cut it but rip the grass off if its wet.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Mr t. Is right, you just have to clean the deck afterword.

Get to the choppa!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Darn, and here I was thinking you were talking about that other kind of grass.

You know, the kind that we can't mention by it's real name but is sometimes called Mary Jane.

I'm an expert in that field of grass. Sorry, but I can't help you with mowing the lawn.

Unless by mowing the lawn you mean ....... uh,. oh never mind.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
If the dandelions are getting out of hand get your own back and eat em.
Free food going to waste.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

That's exactly why I popped into thread

And to the OP Mr T has it right if you do it while their is moisture on the grass it will do the grass damage, if it's hot and sunny or windy just wait 10-20 mins dew clears up quick.

And respect that grass

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

You know, your the 2nd person who told me to eat the Dandelions.
It's like they grew their own little island in my backyard. Just one big patch.

So what's so nutritional about Dandelions?

I always wait for the fuzzies and blow. Guess that explains all the spores growing.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If you want more grass and less Dandelions don´t mow to deep. Grass can overcome weed if you let it stay a little higher. What a epic sentence

I don´t know about your garden but mine is far to big to hunt them down. Mowing them will just make a monster plant of each dandelion over time. The only thing to get really rid of them is to stab them out one by one. With a little practice and a old bread knife it´s not so hard. Just stab the knife about 3cm away from the dandelion into the floor, move the knife a little bit in a shoveling manner and pull gently on the lower part of the plant. You should be able to pull them out very quick. You can also cut to yellow bud before it really flowers. This prevents zombie like multiplication. Yes I had to use that word

edit on 7-6-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I got the zombies in the back, now I just have to do the front.

Too late, I have it on the deepest settings, going 95 miles an hour on the stick shift.
Took me like 10 minutes to mow the yard.

Surprised I didn't get a ticket on my lawn mower.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
We need 3 hours to mow it by hand. 60cm cutting width. So you would be fine to let it stay longer but mow it more often.
edit on 7-6-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I don't know, I hate mowing the yard. It's suppose to be a mans job.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I don't know, I hate mowing the yard. It's suppose to be a mans job.
maybe if you didn't hate us so much.........

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

not sure where you are but here in south florida 9:00am is the perfect time..not to hot yet and the grass is all but dry

edit on 8-6-2012 by alkesh because: sp

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria

You know, your the 2nd person who told me to eat the Dandelions.
It's like they grew their own little island in my backyard. Just one big patch.

So what's so nutritional about Dandelions?

I always wait for the fuzzies and blow. Guess that explains all the spores growing.

Everything, dandelions are incredibly nutritious. Plus all of the plant can be used for various things.
www.nutrition-and-you.com...

Fresh dandelion greens, flower tops, and roots contain valuable constituents that are known to have anti-oxidant, disease preventing, and health promoting properties. Fresh leaves are very low in calories; providing just 45 calories per 100 g. It is also good source of dietary fiber (provide about 9% of RDA per 100 g). In addition, its latex is a good laxative. These active principles in the herb help reduce weight and control cholesterol levels in the blood.

Dandelion root as well as other plant parts contains bitter crystalline compounds Taraxacin, and an acrid resin, Taraxacerin. Further, the root also contains inulin (not insulin) and levulin. Together, these compounds are responsible for various therapeutic properties of the herb. Fresh dandelion herb provides 10161 IU of vitamin-A per 100 g, about 338% of daily-recommended intake, one of the highest source of vitamin-A among culinary herbs. Vitamin A is an important fat-soluble vitamin and anti-oxidant, required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and vision.

Its leaves are packed with numerous health benefiting flavonoids such as carotene-β, carotene-α, lutein, crypto-xanthin and zea-xanthn. Consumption of natural foods rich in vitamin-A and flavonoids (carotenes) helps body protect from lung and oral cavity cancers. Zeaxanthin has photo-filtering functions and protects retina from UV rays. The herb is good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids, which helps regulate heart rate and blood pressure. Iron is essential for red blood cell production. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. It is also rich in many vital vitamins including folic acid, riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin, vitamin -E and vitamin-C that are essential for optimum health. Vitamin-C is a powerful natural antioxidant.

Dandelion greens provide 58% of daily-recommended levels of vitamin-C. Dandelion is probably the richest herbal sources of vitamin K; provides about 650% of DRI. Vitamin-K has potential role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones. It also has established role in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.

join