It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who grew up with a mother on tranquillizers?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

You are so right! Without sadness how would we know what happiness is? It is to try to find that perfect balance and harmony between the two extremes, that is always a challenge, but personally I am getting better at it. It has taken a lot of will and years of practice. I am still not there yet since "stuff" can still set me off, but that's ok we are human after all and here to experience it all. Thank you for your kind words.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TM62

Measuring and balancing is not required.
Just observe the appearances as they appear, do not compare. Be with whatever is appearing and know youself as yourself.

The human way is to say 'i don't want this - i want that'. But nothing can be held onto, just watch it all pass by.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious_soul
Your common american is on....

-a nerve pill(ativan or xanax)
-anti-depressant(pick one prozac, zoloft, paxil etc..)
-sleeping pill(ambien)
-a pain pill if you're lucky(hydrocodone, percecet, oxycottin)

Quite the cocktail!

Not just Americans. This has become a disturbing trend in the US, Canada, Europe (including UK) Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. Basically everywhere that's considered 'Western Society'.

It seems odd to me how the medical establishment (government regulated) is always trying to get pills in us... namely pills that calm us down. Call me a tin-foiler, but I honestly believe that this is to make more docile drones. Don't take anti-depressants or ant-anxiety medication, it does more harm than anything. Just read about the side effects and you'll know what I mean.

Who knows what this sh*t will do to your body 30 years from now.

I used to take Effexor for anxiety but I don't need it anymore. The 7 years that I was on Effexor were the worst of my life. It completely killed my emotions, and when I did decide to stop taking it the withdrawal symptoms were HELL. No exaggeration. This stuff causes more problems than it fixes. Don't start taking it.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by digital01anarchy

No issues with my stepmom.
I am not her son, it was her biological son that committed suicide. But the woman on Valium was another woman my Dad met. They didn't stay together long and I have no idea why she was on the pills in the first place but I would imagine some major event in her past.

I can't tell my (real) Mother a thing, she is not alive anymore.

edit on 7/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

Dude sorry I assumed lol I guess the saying is true when you assume you make a arse out of you and me but mostly me lol

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

It happens, don't feel bad, I've done the same thing myself here, on a Moderators thread!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

If this is what most of western society is taking then who is there to show children how to cope without drugs? Human beings are no longer human beings, they are drugged slaves. And it is 'normal' in this insane society.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Transhumanism (becoming more than human) has been a running theme throughout the ages, and while most people try and say this is achievable through technology or eugenics, a much simpler and immediate route is through drugs.

Dont we all have a right to try and become more than what we are ? Drugs are a key, but as you say drugs are now used to numb the mind and not enhance it, who knows maybe there is a mass conspiracy in place to eliminate the idea of drugs enhancing and to propagate the idea of drugs numbing...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
My mother was on tranquillizers nearly all her life. I didn't have the luxury of a softer world. I didn't even have my mum because she was stolen from me. She went to the doctors for help and they helped her stay with an abusive man.
Anyone else know this story??

Our songs sing together. We are creating quite a chorus here. How beautiful is it?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Sorry to here about your story of your mother itsnowagain. Life sux sometimes.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
My adoptive mother used to take,i dont know if she was hooked,but she often had a supply of them,so maybe yes.She got me hooked on them when i was 13 or 14.The softer feel to a sharp world was wonderful.Our family doctor prescribed me tranquilisers and sleeping pills from my early teens when i went to him,hoping for help with my severe depression-he din'nt even mention anti-depressants,to be quite honest,i was'nt even aware that there was medication targeted at how i was feeling.
Im sorry you were deprived of much of your mother.I did'nt have mine,anyway,to start with,if that makes you feel even somewhat better.Mine was a headcase,and aggresive,all Too memorable,but not in a good way.Bless you.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't have a mother on tranquilizers, she has a very dominant personality and I don't have that much contact because if it were up to her I'd be in a mental institution on various drugs, accused me of planning evil deeds like physical harm, even trapped me in her house once and called the police, don't know what she and my father told them but it was enough to take me to the police station. Having done nothing wrong I was quickly released.

I do remember her as a young child and how she used to be, how she became and sometimes I picture her making different choices in life. Which I shouldn't because it's just a fantasy but sometimes I need to remind myself of how she should be. She did change quite radical after my brother chose to become a psychiatrist, she chose his solutions over mine mainly I think because of prestige/money/security that comes with the profession.

Had I known about this thread I might have responded different to your posts as I get you a little better now where you're coming from with the feminine views.

Anyway so sorry to hear about your mother.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

My Mom was on many medications, what they were I don't know. But they did have a hand in taking her life when I was eight months old. Almost took mine as well.

This was back in the sixties when perscriptions were widely abused...not by the patients, but by the doctors. Wait a second, never mind. It's still the same-o, same-o.

So...I guess, no, I wouldn't know. But I do stay away from prescription medicine if I can at all help it.
edit on 8-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mckeesport

Stay away from any Benzodiazapine

Benzodiazepines shouldnt be demonized. They are indispensable life savers (sometimes literally) against certain conditions (example: powerful, acute panic attacks that do not end themselves). However they are not suitable for long term usage, which is where people start to see problems with them.

Like any thing, they can be abused (long term usage). But lets not forget they serve a very important function in certain instances, and should not be avoided just because some people have chose to use them outside of what they are good at, and intended for.

edit on 6/8/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here here!

I grew up with my mom on drugs nearly all my life. She mostly laid around and watched TV, a form of escapism no doubt. What's worse is that I was homeschooled from the 4th grade (aside from one year in a boarding school for 9th grade) which pretty much meant I didn't have a teacher for most of those years. I was left alone to teach myself and had to cheat out of the teachers gradebook just to go out and play with my friends in the Summer.

I blame my dad for being an unfeeling monster devoid of empathy (he would joke about "feelings" being gay and effeminate), and I blame my mom for not being strong enough to leave him. I kinda hope they don't read this someday, but it's honestly the way I feel about it.

Ironically it probably helped me a lot but I have a strong will and have a tendency to turn negatives into positives. My little brothers didn't fair as well and are sorely behind on education which most take for granted.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
mom: died in half-way house
dad: 30+ methadone program
me: born addicted to heroin

step-mom: prescription-pill abuse
etc

..and all i got was this lousy sense of humor

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not only my mother but also my father, valiums and other heavy drugs (sleeping pills)and they sometimes tried to commit suicide with those pills.
As a baby of 5 months old i was taken away from my parents and at the age of four i was reunited with them and lived in a hell, lots of abuse and humiliation throughout my childhood.
But during the last 15 years of their life they changed, dealt with their pills addiction and became more open and even had good contact with their neighbors.
They were a good grandpa and grandma for the children too, how everything can change.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This thread is profound.

There is a psychiatrist, "the conscience of psychiatry," who understands. Dr. Peter Breggin.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join