It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting up a trading card collection - need help with best brands...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Hello there, As a kid I used to love collecting NBA cards and also cards that were also made here in Australia eg: AFL etc. I have got a bit bored over the last few weeks and have started buying boxes online to start building up again as I didn't keep or realise that they could be worth a bit of dough back then.

Anyway I am starting with some of the brands that i used to buy alot of and also swinging a few more from recent years. Not being from the U.S.A I thought that maybe some people here may collect as well and what brands seem to be worth the most value these days.

I have only started with some basic cheap sets from the early 90's (upperdeck, Hoops) but have also brought a box of the Panini 11 as well. I don't know very much about the more recent ones and was wondering if anyone could give me some brands that seem to have decent cards in them.

I have had a look on ebay and have seen some very expensive cards but the likelihood of scoring one of them seems to be 0. Is there any series that stand out compared to others? Even in NFL,NHL,MLB or any other sport, tv show which I may find some good value and maybe even make a bit of coin off... Any advice, help is much appreciated.. cheerz

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Desert Storm Cards were awesome.

My sisters and I had 2 sets each. One set for trading and 'flicks' and the other for keeps.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Trading cards have changed considerably in the past 15 years or so. I stick to Bowman Chrome for my lower end purchases and Ultimate Collection or Exquisite for my higher end collection.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

I have seen them somewhere, what is that from the game or somethin??

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by premierepastimes
Trading cards have changed considerably in the past 15 years or so. I stick to Bowman Chrome for my lower end purchases and Ultimate Collection or Exquisite for my higher end collection.

They sure have and it is amazing to see the difference between American and Australian as well when it comes to detail etc. I have seen the exquisite ones and they are expensive. When I have an extra $400 laying around I might treat myself to a box of them. I have seen the Bowmans as well but they are a brand which I never knew existed so maybe i will find out the pricings on them and try them out as well.

the only problem with the older ones is the lack of chase cards what ever you want to call them, but with that its nice to know you can still pick them up very cheap. I thought they would be extinct when it came to cases/boxes, even packets, but there seem to be a few still floating around. Maybe somewhere down the track they will be worth something, who knows. Thanks for the tips.
edit on 7-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

I have seen them somewhere, what is that from the game or somethin??

No, they came out in the 90's, during Operation Desert Storm.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

No worries, I might keep my eye out for them and see what they are worth. I have just found a great deal I think and I'm not too sure. 3 cases of topps series 1 baseball cards for $250? It seems to cheap to me unless the series is a complete flop or something. But 24 boxes never the less is a lot for the price and I'm sure there would be some decent inserts in there.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I use to collect a lot like 3-4 years ago so I am sure its changed somewhat..
Topps and Upper Deck were usually good.. I liked the 'shiny' brands like Bowman and Finest. You might want to buy a Beckett price guide and see what current sets are making the most money right now.

I forgot the name but some brand had a rare auto or jersey, or auto/jersey card every pack but it was like $40 a pack.. I tried a few of those but didn't get anything worth much.

Also, buy some sleeves or cases for the rare cards.. always save rookies, and numbered cards and autos.. and last buy some gloves or something so you don't get prints on the rare cards.. that way if you decide to get them graded they will be worth more.

top topics

join