It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report of first doctor to reach shot Lincoln found.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Report of first doctor to reach shot Lincoln found.

news.yahoo.com

By JOHN O'CONNOR

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The first doctor to reach President Abraham Lincoln after he was shot in a Washington theater rushed to his ceremonial box and found him paralyzed, comatose and leaning against his wife. Dr. Charles Leale ordered brandy and water to be brought immediately.

Leale's long-lost report of efforts to help the mortally wounded president, written just hours after his death, was discovered in a box at the National Archives late last month.

The Army surgeon, who sat 40 feet from Lincoln at Ford's Theater that night in April 1865, saw assassin Joh
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This is an interesting find it's the report of Dr.Charles A. Leale who happened to be at Ford's Theater at the same time as The President.The report is the "first draft." of history.It also shows how treatment for trauma was barely beginning.Seems that the Surgeon General got this report right after the murder and was lost in the records of April 1865 it was recently discovered by some researchers in the National Archives.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The Army surgeon, who sat 40 feet from Lincoln at Ford's Theater that night in April 1865, saw assassin John Wilkes Booth jump to the stage, brandishing a dagger. Thinking Lincoln had been stabbed, Leale pushed his way to the victim but found a different injury.

A rather strange assumption from the Doctor !!

You would think he Heard a gun shot ?

Hmmm....

Leale, who was 23 and just six weeks into his medical practice when Lincoln died, never spoke or wrote about his experiences again until 1909 in a speech commemorating the centennial of the president's birth.

Hmmm....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Hmmm, the Doc didn't hear a gunshot??

Lincoln was actually a racist.

Don't believe me? Look back at what he had to say in the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
Hmmm, the Doc didn't hear a gunshot??

Lincoln was actually a racist.

Don't believe me? Look back at what he had to say in the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

I think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone from that time period who was not a racist by today's standards.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Yes, I agree, things were different back then, but most think Lincoln, was against slavery.

Just suggesting folks look at what Lincoln actually said.

BTW, I am from Illinois and VERY familiar, with what Lincoln said and wrote.

Yeah, Lincoln was "from" Illinois, but it's the 3rd state he actually lived in.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If he shot during applause, I doubt most people would have heard it. Just throwing that out there.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This gives the incident a new "twist"...
Seeing the shooter actually brandishing a dagger?
Hmm...

As far as Lincoln being racist...I believe he was just trying to save the union.
And it sounds like he was willing to do anything to enable its survival.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Source

Technically he was just trying to keep the Union together by any means.
It just so happened that he put the slavery issue directly in the middle.
As opposed to the actually revenue war that was brewing from the South.
I believe the actual people running things just didn't want to lose tax revenue.

But that's my humble opinion on the Civil War.
Slavery was only 1/3rd the battle.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Yep.

The argument that the civil war was to free the slaves has always given me a bit of a chuckle, since even the Emancipation Proclamation only freed the *southern* slaves. Can't go having the North rebel against you as well for trying to take away their slaves when you've got to get an assault on states' rights rolling...

new topics

top topics

join