It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Me The Hell Off This Mountain [NATURE]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
"I wonder why everyone is going down and we seem to be the only ones going up this mountain?" I thought.

"Oh well", I told myself as this dog is dragging me like there's some doggy biscuit tied on a string in front of him. The voracious pace he is keeping is going to kill me. It's nearly 13,000 ft. to the top and we just got started on this four hour trek. I am pretty acclimated to the altitude but this is rough.

Onward and upward!

It was a beautiful day in the Colorado Rockies, not a cloud in sight. It was mid-summer and the flowers were in bloom, the birds were chirping, what a great day for a hike. I had nobody to go with me that day and I couldn't stay in that drab apartment in Denver. I had been warned not hike in these mountains alone, not to mention that my furry friend and I would make an excellent snack for a hungry bear, no matter how much of a badass this dog is.

I cannot believe that he won't slow down. I guess he wants to see what's over the other side too.

Onward and upward!

Finally after about three hours of this, I couldn't take it. Time to tie this canine up and have a much needed snack and rest. I sat there and took in the scenery for awhile and it's getting to be mid-afternoon. If we were going to make it we better get a move on. I can see the summit.

We trek for another 45 minutes or so and finally get to the top. What a feeling! We made it!

Then as I round the final boulders at the top I finally see why everyone was going down.

The thunder storm was enormous! The valleys have a way of hiding what could be over there. Oh, snap! There is definitely not enough time to get down before it engulfs this mountain. I start looking frantically for some place to take refuge. I didn't look for long before I saw a shallow cave, it will have to do. I have a way of escaping Mother Nature's fury for some reason. We have a thing I guess. Love you!

Me and badass crawl in the subterrane. It is only a matter of minutes before the grey cloud envelopes the summit, You cant hardly see a thing because you are in the clouds at this altitude. The Rockies have a huge mass if granite in them. Granite not being especially conductive of electricity, but still I was still thinking in the back of my mind that we are pretty exposed up here because this cave is not very deep.

I could see the rain and hail swooping over coming towards us. The lightning was cracking all over the place and I was really starting to get the feeling that we really could die up here and nobody knew we were here. The rocks around us started to crackle an pop. This is NOT good!

BAM!! A strike way too close for comfort. I panic for a moment before I realize that we are still alive. Good thing I took a good pee when we took a break earlier or I would have certainly wet my britches. BAM!! Another BAM!! and another. I'm starting to realize by this time that we were pretty safe and was able to relax, somewhat.

From my vantage point, I can see for several miles as the rain and hail had let up some, so I just watched in awe as the lightning struck the mountain all around us. How majestic and furious she can be.

It seems to be passing now, but I'm afraid to get out of the cave just yet, so we wait. I get some more granola bars in me because I'm going to need the energy.

Finally after about 20-30 minutes of no lightning, its time to get the hell off this mountain. I grab the ball of energy I call my dog and put him in my backpack. No time to fool with him. We gotta go!

We made it back down to the parking lot in an amazing 45 minutes. Four hours up, 45 minutes down.

I RAN down that mother! Me and the King of the Mountain, the feisty little booger.

edit on 7-6-2012 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
That was an awesome story.

I logged in just to say that!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What a good read!!
And awesome pooch you have there.

Loved it!!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cakewalk

Thank you. It is appreciated!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Yeah he is.

The little guy is WAY too big for his britches. Thinks he's a mastiff or something. He can break the skin I swear.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Your dog just let you put him in a backpack? Mine would go nuts.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Did you see him?

He didn't have much say in the matter. I didn't even notice if he was going nuts or not. I left his head out though.

Disclaimer ~ No animals were hurt in this short story and the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hee.

Tiny mountaineer. I enjoyed that very much.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

Hey! I might be tiny, but I'm strong.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

This tiny little dog dragged you up the mountain?

What are you a leprechaun?

I've always enjoyed a nice thunderstorm. I love to watch the power of nature, although it is best to find a safe place to watch it when it happens. I like watching the power of nature, not getting soaked by it. Nothing like spending the day in soggy shorts, yuck!

My wife and kids panic when a storm comes along and she always yells at me to get away from the windows.
I've heard of warnings to stay away from windows because lightning can get you but, I've never heard of an actual story where that really happened.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Funny. Not a leprechaun, he just stretches the leash and his little feet are burning rubber the whole way..

So I try to accommodate and pick up the pace and that will wear you out a little faster.

I loves me a good storm too from a distance.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Excellent story. I can imagine what that was like, having hiked at that elevation before.

The view is worth every minute, aye?

SnF.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Excellent story. I can imagine what that was like, having hiked at that elevation before.

The view is worth every minute, aye?

SnF.

It was worth the storm even.

Thanks for the compliments there D42. That means a lot coming from someone that takes this forum so serious. I mean that.

top topics

join