It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer On The Farm In Michigan. [Nature]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
As the sun rises in the east the birds begin to sing their lovely songs of life. Looking out across the sacred farmland we call home, you can see the herds of whitetail deer feeding in the fields as they slowly return to the swamps and the woods to sleep away the day. As the sun rises higher you notice the velvety antlers poking up just above the tassels of the wheat. You stare with awe as he rises up with his head held high and retires to a more solemn location.

You hear the turkeys gobbling and the echoes off the hardwoods which fill the forests. Almost in synchronicity, the squirrels and the chipmunks come to life. The echoes of the chuckling squirrels quickly become the dominant song of the morning. The occasional coyote is often seen darting across an open field headed to his den and to safety.

As the sun creeps higher, the heat begins to warm your skin. The humidity soon follows the heat and the task of staying cool now becomes the theme of the day. Hard thing to do when there is so much work to be done. The horses are now neighing and beginning their long day of grazing in the open pastures filled with clover and alfalfa.

You look upon the fields of hay waiting for the time to be right. You walk out and feel with your hands to determine if it is dry and can be bailed this day. The warm morning has done it's job well, and the long task of turning a field into a winters worth of feed is underway. The smell of the freshly bailed hay fills the air of the farm as the wagons are unloaded one after the other until the job is done.

Throughout the day the wildlife is abundant. The sandhill cranes gather by the pond, and graze the open fields. The field mice dance about from bails of hay along with the snakes sending grown men running and acting like girls. The dogs chase the tractors and harass the cats in the barn. The pigs wallow in the mud as the horses look on.

The warm afternoon breeze bring the smell of cow manure from the farm next door. Combined with the humidity it often becomes a quite putrid smell for most but for the farmer it is just the smell of the country. As the sun begins to sink toward the horizon we see the sky turn to a blazing orange hue. The beautiful sunset makes the wheat fields shine like golden blankets covering the earth. The corn blows like waves in the wind in the evening breeze and if you listen closely you will hear the deer begin to rise and make their way through the rows of corn eating as they go.

When the sun has gone to bed the dance of the fireflies begins. Fist just a few, but soon the air is filled with glowing beauty that only nature could provide. The bats fly out of the barns and begin their nightly feast of of Michigan bugs. The crickets and frogs soon take over the night. In tandem their song is most unique. The deep groans of the bullfrogs hum across the countryside, as the chirps of the crickets become songs of sleep for the ever so tired farmer. Summer on the farm becomes a study of the beauty of nature and when the sun begins a new day the farmer will rise and prosper from the greatest gifts that nature can provide.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

i hate snakes,,along with the snakes sending grown men running and acting like girls.,,so what lol

one day,,walking after the field of straw,, had been just ,,put up into stacks of shieves,,too my left,,
a snake ,,stood straight, and with ,attention,, listened in the air,, 3 timmes,,,

then i ran like hell!

lol
i was,, 10 yrs old,,snakes sending grown men running,,and young

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Very descriptive. I enjoy reading quality stories such as this. SnF.

You should also realize that now that you have "Writer" status, your quality of writing has sky-rocketed. I can remember when you said ages ago that you hadn't written anything in a while, but wanted to. Your first few stories were a tad bland, but now you are simply in the "groove".

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thanks, I'm definitely getting back in the groove, and it feels good to be doing it again. Some days I have it and others I just word vomit but even the not as good ones give me something to think about. Thanks for taking the time to read them. I have been enjoying all of the stories for the other contest as well. Not really my genre but they are still interesting.

top topics

join