It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Thomas D. Raffaele Says Police Officer Struck Him

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Thomas D. Raffaele, a 69-year-old justice of the New York State Supreme Court, encountered a chaotic scene while walking down a Queens street with a friend: Two uniformed police officers stood over a shirtless man lying facedown on the pavement. The man's hands were cuffed behind his back and he was screaming. A crowd jeered at the officers.

The judge, concerned the crowd was becoming unruly, called 911 and reported that the officers needed help.

But within minutes, he said, one of the two officers became enraged - and the judge became his target. The officer screamed and cursed at the onlookers, some of whom were complaining about what they said was his violent treatment of the suspect, and then he focused on Justice Raffaele, who was wearing a T-shirt and jeans. The judge said the officer rushed forward and, using the upper edge of his hand, delivered a sharp blow to the judge's throat that was like what he learned when he was trained in hand-to-hand combat in the Army.

mobile.nytimes.com...

I suppose it was only a matter of time before one of these horrendus police attacks affected someone "important." If this just happened to a normal Joe, I'm sure he would have gotten arrested on some bogus charge to cover their tracks, but the judge is a different story.

So, what do you think? Will the police officer get slap on the wrist, or will he be made an example of? Either way, I'm sure the significance of what happened will be forgotten and the abuse will continue, unabated.
edit on 6-6-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It all depends on how bad the justice wants his head, and how willing the police are willing to cooperate with the judge.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think it would have been great if the Justice would have been armed and proceeded to drop the cop right on the spot. That's the only way these tyrannical bastards are going to get the message.

I recently got into a heated discussion with a cousin of mine that happens to be a Lt on the Gainesville FL police depth about the rise in police brutality. Of course he tried to justify the actions of police saying that I didn't understand the danger they faced everyday. I reminded him of my 4 deployments to Afghan and 2 to Iraq and he said it wasn't the same since I was facing armed insurgents over their.

I asked him how he was going to talk his way out of that statement, which of course he didn't understand so I explained it to him. I was facing ARMED insurgents, police for the most part are facing UNARMED citizens, and tried to explain to him that respect is earned not given, whether you wear a badge or not. Perhaps if police would treat the citizens with some decency and respect they wouldn't have to be in "fear" everyday.

Well of course I was wrong in everything I said and eventually he told me that if he were to ever stop me and I became "mouthy" or started questioning his actions or didn't "obey" him he would have no choice but to detain me or tase me in order to secure his safety.

Funny thing is that at that moment his father told him that if he did that to me he would probably end up hurt and I agreed with my uncle. My cousin then said that he could arrest me right then for even saying that since it could be taken as threatening a LEO.

At that time my uncle called his own son a pr!ck.

The point is that many cops nowadays feel that their badge and sovereign immunity give them the right to be exactly what my uncle called my cousin. In reality this totalitarian, abusive mentality of our current police state needs to be brought to an immediate end. I can honestly say that with the exception of the 3 law enforcement officers we have in the small county I live in I have nothing but contempt for LEO's. Granted there are some decent ones out there but they are few and far between. Like the old saying goes, a few bad apples can ruin the whole bunch.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
this should be all over cnn.

how is a state supreme court justice being a victim of police battery not national news.

i guess cnn doesn't want to embarrass mayor bloomberg and the lack of control he has over his city's police force.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The police have been able to run-a-muck because of judges and internal investigations unwilling to prosecute their own, or being very lenient. If it had to happen to someone, I'm glad it was him instead of the average Joe.

I think this quote best describes what he's expecting for punishment.

He added: "I do feel that it's important for this person to be disciplined. I don't know if he should be an officer or not - what he was doing was so violent."

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what I find more disturbing.....The fact that the OIC wouldn't lodge a complaint at the scene....

...or the fact that the Judge is not going to press charges.

What hope has the US justice system if the very people at the top don't enforce the laws when "it" hits the fan?

IMO the officer should be charged to the full extent of the law. As a "Justice of the peace", an LEO should be a role model in the community instead of being another "thug" dragging down the name of the country as a whole.

USA = The greatest nation joke on Earth.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Has the 69 year old JUDGE ,,excuse me SUPREME COURT JUDGE,,

appoligized too the police man , for not odeying him yet?

he may need a deputized TEXAS RANGER,
in case he ,,falls down or something,,he's a judge.

hmmmmmm

edit on 6-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Tough #!!!!
Is this the first time this judge ever heard of the police brutality craze that has swept the nation??
Did he think he was immune?

I wonder how many cases he presided over where the defendant was completely innocent and wouldn't have even come to light if it weren't for the police violence?

Don't expect me to shed a tear for him or anyone else who gets caught up in this mess of police violence.
Unless you are one of the few who have decided that enough is enough and took the matter into your own hands then I don't want to hear it, personally.

This is the country that we live in now, better get used to it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Gee, hasn't the police chief gone on the air yet to say the officer was only following the Dept. guidelines ?
And defend the officers actions because the officer feared for his life .

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When the police are enraged, why out of the crowd, do they always seem to target the elderly?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
When the police are enraged, why out of the crowd, do they always seem to target the elderly?

Cowards usually do target the weak and undefended.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I am trying to get this...The judge sees a nurse loudly expressing her concern that the officers
are going to cause serious harm to the handcuffed man by ramming his back while he is pressed
upon the ground, after he calls for a backup? Maybe he should have backed up the nurse!

If you see a brother in need and turn away....hows that for a lesson?

When they first came upon the crowd, the judge said, he was immediately concerned for the officers and called 911. After he made the call, he said, he saw that one of the officers — the one who he said later attacked him — was repeatedly dropping his knee into the handcuffed man’s back.

His actions, the judge said, were inflaming the crowd, some of whom had been drinking. But among others who loudly expressed their concern, he said, was a woman who identified herself as a registered nurse; she was calling to the officer, warning that he could seriously hurt the unidentified man, who an official later said was not charged. www.nytimes.com...

edit on 6-6-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Well at least now the judge will not doubt people who claim police brutality or wrong doing. I hope he does press charges though.

edit on 7-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Cops think they deserve some kind of respect because they went to Community College, have lived in the same city their whole lives, and can do an obstacle course?

Bring it cops..We will prevail

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lives

Now, don't diss people who went to community college.

What's wrong with this place? What happened to replies that were productive and on the issue?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Two uniformed police officers stood over a shirtless man lying facedown on the pavement. The man's hands were cuffed behind his back and he was screaming. A crowd jeered at the officers.

mobile.nytimes.com...

Is anyone else wondering what the hell this part is all about?

A shirtless man handcuffed, and screaming...and no mention of the story there.

Also whatever they had done had managed to draw an angry mob. Definately not an easy feat to pull off in this apathetic day. I smell something awful here...rotten pork.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You only deserve respect if you can afford to buy it in the form of a very expensive piece of paper called a degree, inexpensive ones won't suffice.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

That is a very telling story. Thanks for sharing that. Of course police have a dangerous job, as do lots of people, but it should be dangerous for someone speeding to work to get pulled over and get shot or tased for the cops safety. Obviously their training massively brainwashes them.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I also found it telling that the article says no charges were filed against the suspect. Sounds like someone just wants it to all go away. Bet that precinct captain had a wonderful phone call the next day. Maybe a few incidences like this one involving someone who matters will bring this problem to the forefront.
There was a time in this country when cops were public servents. They were helpful and would usually rather resolve a minor matter through talk than force. Sad to say I think its a reflection of our times.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver

Well of course I was wrong in everything I said and eventually he told me that if he were to ever stop me and I became "mouthy" or started questioning his actions or didn't "obey" him he would have no choice but to detain me or tase me in order to secure his safety.

You are wrong in everything ... who do you think YOU are to talk about the police. You're a soldier, a hired and payed assassin?

And this about telling him he'd get hurt, if he arrested you? ... that IS a threat, and you are the prick.

The police are not the real problem, it's people of the united that is ... what are the people of the United States demonstrating about? Whome are they demonstrating against ... the police has already had several rulings, that their savety is more important than that of the citizen. Then what ... what are you going to do? Your government payed you for warring in Iraq and Afghanistan, payed you to do the same thing the Soviet Union was doing ... did you complain? did you demonstrate? Did you deny to go to Afghanistan and murder innocent people in their own home? In Afghanistan, you are a terrorist who is murdering people in their home ... the people you meet aren't insurgents. They are peolple defending their home, against forreign invaders and terrorists.

And then you have the audacity to come home, and give your cousin a hard time for obeying his orders?

Who do you think is a bigger prick, you or him? you are.

The people of the US are as ignorant as the people of Iceland. They don't have money to buy booze, women and drugs ... so they go onto wall street and throw eggs at them, for not making enough money for the average joe to spend.

Is anyone demonstrating at the White House, Congress or the Senate for them making laws that allows the average police officer to beat a man to death? Is anyone going to the white house, and throwing Obama out of office, with arms, because he's waging war on poor afghanees, ordering to kill them ... and their donkeys too?

No, people are attacking police officers for being afraid, and demonstrating at wall street ... because there isn't enough money to buy booze.

You still wondering, why the world is turning to China?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join