It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seventy-foot dock from Japan washes up in Oregon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This thing is huge..

The dock was from an area north of Fukushima, and radiation tests were negative, the article says that the brunt of debris from the tsunami won't hit for a few months, but whew!, just happy that nothing struck this mass as it made it's way eastward across the Pacific..

www.cbsnews.com

A nearly 70-foot-long dock that floated ashore on an Oregon beach was torn loose from a fishing port in northern Japan by last year's tsunami and drifted across thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean, a Japanese Consulate official said Wednesday.

A commemorative plaque on the dock showed it was one of four owned by Aomori Prefecture that broke loose from the port of Misawa on the northern tip of the main island, Deputy Consul Hirofumi Murabayashi said from Portland, Ore.

"We were able to confirm from Aomori Prefecture that they don't wish to have it returned," he said. "About the other three, of course, we have no idea where they are floating, or if they are sunk somewhere."

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
66 foot

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
We were able to confirm from Aomori Prefecture that they don't wish to have it returned,

don't wish to have it,,,check,,

radiation tests were negative,,,check,,

OK CAN I HAVE IT FOR THE SCRAP??????????????

Maritime Law says i can claim it first,,
i will make a deall with the Boat Captain,,prefurably

TUG CAPATAIN IN OREOGON WANTED IMMEDIATELY

Contact ATS

edit on 6-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
That is an impressive bit of sea junk. Wonder if anyones been keeping a close eye on that thing as it floats ? Also wonder what the new owners will do with it?
Litter fines for Japan

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

craigslist!

When I was a youngun, I lived in Misawa for three years while my father was stationed at the AFB there..

If you do secure the salvage rights, PM me, I may want a chunk of that bad boy

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thats quite a large piece of debris and I echo whats been said-
Glad it did not strike any vessels!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

go for it,,i pass on any and all rights

its called,, pass it on,,,

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Tow it up river, tie off to river bank, build awesome house on it!

To all fishing captains and larger boat owners. Salvage rights are quite simple, go get it. Three more out there plus whatever else. Tow it home. Stake your claim.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

When I read the title I was imagining wood. Like a dock you would see for small boats...

Whoa...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It is pretty amazing that it traveled all the way over. Alot of stuff is washing up. I can not remember if it was a bike or motorcycle that washed up and they returned it to its owner in japan.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Wow. That's a well-traveled dock.

Seriously though, how much is supposed to wash up in the next few months? I'm hoping that isn't the smallest piece of debris.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I’m surprised that hundreds if not thousands of salvagers are not out trolling for debris.

Lots of interesting stuff I’m sure....

I think I read somewhere - didn’t the US Blubberment pass some law to stop people taking it?

Better to gather at sea than let it wash up and cause more damage.

Mickierocksman

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

In keeping with the craigs list tradition... I will trade you an used ipod for it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I will trade a 20 broken ipods for it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Tow it up river, tie off to river bank, build awesome house on it!

That's a good idea... looks like a great base, and we know how well it stays afloat, it's been tsunami tested.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Wow..... that could have been a titanic-size disaster in the middle of the ocean for an unlucky crew. Unbelievable that something that large could float all the way across the Pacific.

I wonder what other kinds of debris have floated across since the 2011 Japan earthquake?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
wow if I were that town I'd would keep it ,make it the centerpiece of a local park

also I tend to wonder how Noahs Ark could float for a year, not anymore

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thats pretty impressive.

I say put that dock to work. it will be the new trend in trade between the US and japan. The boat doesn't leave port the dock comes to the boat. makes the pickup and carries it across the sea to the other boat. boat doesn't go to the dock, dock comes to boat.

Seriously though. How much would it have sucked if you were a boat captain and rammed that in the middle of the night. Doubt it would pick up much on radar. There'd be next to no warning. would be hard to spot bobbing in the ocean too.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
update

www.japantoday.com...

Oregon removes seaweed from wrecked dock to guard against 'invasive species'

PORTLAND, Ore —

Environmental protection workers stripped seaweed and barnacles Thursday from a tsunami-wrecked dock washed up on a U.S. beach, to guard against “invasive species” from Japan.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife ordered the action after the 20-meter long concrete and metal structure, the biggest piece of tsunami debris to reach the US West Coast so far, landed on a beach in Oregon.

top topics

join