It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long can you hold your breath???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Because German free diver Tom Sietas just set a world record for holding his, get this, 22:22. Yep, over 20 minutes. It's not as though I follow this sort of thing, but I literally didn't even know that was possible. Here's the link:

Free Diver

Oh, by the way, I think I could probably make it about 90 seconds (hey, I did ask the question)...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

I've timed myself up to 2 minutes before. Not sure how much more beyond that I COULD go, but not much without a lot of training. Those divers are just nuts, though. In addition to the pure oxygen, lung capacity, and not eating mentioned in the article, don't they also basically hyperventilate first to super-saturate their blood with oxygen?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I think last time I tried was when I was 10 at that was probably like 40s. I will have to try this out again now that it is 12 years later.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

well not to brag,, but i pride myself about my over 3 mins,, holding breath, under water.
.i'm a professional singer..
and also A SMOKER!!

22.22 mins is unbelievable as a free diver.....
edit on 6/6/12 by darrman because: spellenglish

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I have held my breath for 3:47. I was also in the caribbean at the time and I would free dive on my days off. One of the keys to freediving is hyperventilating before you descend. It loads your bloodstream with oxygen and lets you use that last breath for a little longer. My 3:47 was also doing a deadmans float, so my muscles weren't using any o2. With fins and a mask and kicking like hell for the surface, probably two mins

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

Over 20 minutes, is well, almost unbelievable and amazing.

I haven't ever timed myself but I can go a lap, or 2 lengths, of an olympic size pool--so over/back, over/back.

Yet, I kind of cheated by staying close to the pool ground and pushing my feet off of the ground every now and then.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Pretty amazing stuff. I had recently just saw when David Blaine did it

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
wow 22 minutes is pretty crazy. i can do 3 minutes easy but only because i know the hyperventilation trick.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I Im relaxed on the floor and prepare, close to two minutes,,but if Im surfing, about 15 seconds tops...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
Pretty amazing stuff. I had recently just saw when David Blaine did it

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed watching.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I used to be able to hold my breath for one length of a full size college swimming pool swimming under water. I haven't got a clue how long that took to do. That took years of training for me, forty years later I probably could hold my breath for about ten seconds

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

The blood and cells can store oxygen and release it when needed. It takes a certain chemical availability and training to utilize this ability. A structured Diet would also be critical in achieving those results. I'm sure that genetics has something to do with it also to achieve that long a time.

top topics

join