It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies in 3-D SUCK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ok, first of all, who the hell wants to wear those stupid 3-D glasses while they're watching a movie? They're uncomfortable, they look ridiculous, and you yourself look like a grade-A moron while your wearing them. Second of all, it's more expensive to watch a movie in 3-D compared to the regular version. I am absolutely dumbfounded by this because I would much much much much much much rather see a movie as it is in the regular version than in 3-D. But the worst part about the whole thing is that when a new movie comes out (an incredibly awesome movie) they have like 20 showings of the movie in 3-D, and only 2 showings for the regular version!!!............. WTF!?!?!? I don't get it!!!!!! It should be the other way around!!! So I have to choose whether I want to see the movie at 12 noon or 3:25pm!? and that's it???? Not even a night showing of the regular version!? What!!???

I hope there are people out there who feel the same way that I do, and I would love to hear how you feel about the whole 3-D movie crap. It is absurdity to it's deepest inner core and I for one can't stand it anymore!!!!!

I just want to see a regular movie!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

I would say give them some time and all movies will be done in 3D and there will be no need for the glasses to boot. Funny how technology changes don't you think?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

it has gotten a little silly.

however, it doesn't matter what you want.

its simply a repsonse to all the piracy.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

very true.

they can do this with animation already.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

I actually saw my first 3D movie (The Avengers) the other week, and I actually thought the experience was pretty neat. A way to make it work without the glasses would be great, but I will probably be going to see Prometheus in 3D this weekend as well since I enjoyed the experience so much.

I was honestly more than a little impressed, myself. I'd say it was worth the extra $3.

edit on 6/6/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Why? Just because something "pops out" every once in a while? Not worth the 3 extra bucks at all in my opinion. Plus you have to wear those stupid glasses...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
first movie i seen in the new 3d was "my bloody valantine"
pretty boring horror but i think 3d at least made me enjoy it a bit more.
i think 3d works for some films.
and who is looking at how stupid people look when you've just paid to see a movie.
prometheus i want to watch in 3d, when its on dvd i'll have the chance to watch it 2d. may as well have a more immersive experience at the cinema.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic

Why? Just because something "pops out" every once in a while? Not worth the 3 extra bucks at all in my opinion. Plus you have to wear those stupid glasses...

I don't even really remember any "popping out" effects like I was expecting from having heard about other movies (like My Bloody Valentine and others). For me, it just helped the immersion and was a novel experience.

And to be frank - I've probably wasted well over $3 on much less-worthwhile things many times throughout my life, so while you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, I was well-pleased with my experience. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed yours quite as much.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
and who is looking at how stupid people look when you've just paid to see a movie.

You mean paid EXTRA to see a movie, AND you have to wear these colored-lens glasses over your eyes........

All I'm saying is, just give me the damn movie without any of this extra garbage...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic

I hope there are people out there who feel the same way that I do, and I would love to hear how you feel about the whole 3-D movie crap. It is absurdity to it's deepest inner core and I for one can't stand it anymore!!!!!

I just want to see a regular movie!

If it makes you feel any better, I feel the SAME WAY. I hate them. Not sure why, but I always get a headache when I go to a 3D movie. In my area, the 2D version of a movie doesn't play until 10 or 11pm. Which is good for many, but I have a young daughter so that doesn't work out very well for me.

The glasses are lame... but I don't really worry much about that since it's dark in the theater and Everyone looks stupid, so that doesn't get to me too much.

I don't want to pay $2 more to see a 3D movie that I can see in 2D for less! Honestly, I like the experience of going to a movie, if I wanted everything to look "real" I would just take a walk in the real world! Besides with DLP the graphics (is that the term?) still look pretty great to me.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

I agree it has gotten out of hand. The worst thing for me, is it seems that most (all) of them have to include some hokey scene to show off the 3D effect. Like in Avatar, the guy hits the golf ball right at the camera. Instead of inspiring oohs and ahhs, it makes me think, "oh brother!" As i roll my eyes.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

coloured lenses are the old 3d, new 3d looks like this
paying extra for 3d is worth it depending on the movie.
or are you being forced to watch 3d.

edit on 6/6/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

It is a shame you were not able to view "Avatar" in 3D. It was the state of the art 3D that the other companies are still trying to recreate. To compare its technology, it was much like what "Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope" was to 1977 and its special effects. The difference is, in "Avatar" yes things did come at you from time to time, but the entire movie was in your lap per se. from sparks from a campfire fire to long grasses, plants, insects, etc. In the explosions it wasn't just a piece of something flying in your direction but also flames, sparks, smoke, etc. You were in the movie.

Once the rest of the special effects catch up you will see a major difference. As for getting rid of the Glasses it will take time for tech and projectors to be made to the number needed to make it the standard. I would say, sense the old Red and Blue glasses went mainstream in the 50s and it wasn't until the mid decade 2000s when the "new" style of grey glasses went mainstream, and the given rate of technological advances, if the world remains as it is(
), it will be about 25 years to get rid of glasses altogether.

The next step is holodecks

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright
reply to post by Nurelic

I agree it has gotten out of hand. The worst thing for me, is it seems that most (all) of them have to include some hokey scene to show off the 3D effect. Like in Avatar, the guy hits the golf ball right at the camera. Instead of inspiring oohs and ahhs, it makes me think, "oh brother!" As i roll my eyes.

Yeah, some movies that have those scenes specifically for those "3-D moments" are hokey as hell. Whoooaaa so we saw the talking Donkey from Shrek kick his legs into the audience for half a second!......... big deal.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
it will be about 25 years to get rid of glasses altogether.

Oh great, then we'll be like this guy..........

uuhh....... yeah no thanks.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Star for the OP. I agree. I've only seen two movies in 3-D and had a negative experience both times. The most recent one I saw was Men In Black 3. And like you pointed out, I had to see it in 3-D since all other showings were done for the day.

Now, I don't mind looking like a moron with the glasses on. But it makes the movie look so fake and cheap that it's really hard to enjoy the movie for what it is. It just adds a gimmick to the movie that totally ruins it. I don't know what it is about it...it just looks so unnatural to me that it's distracting (and hurts my eyes if it's too bombastic).

Oh, and the other movie I saw was Avatar. Again, the gimmicky 3-D ruined it for me (although I'm sure most will say the 3-D made it better).

I prefer pop-up books. Don't ever say anything bad about those.
edit on 7-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

Ah NO. lol thats crazy. Thats definitely a technique I would not be interested in even trying, I hope the tech does not follow that path. I'm with you on that one.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I don't know what it is about it...it just looks so unnatural to me that it's distracting (and hurts my eyes if it's too bombastic).

I know! It is extremely distracting and does indeed ruin the movie.

I almost want to swat at the 3-D images in front of me to get them out of my way........

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sit in the middle near the front of an IMAX theatre and say that.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Sit in the middle near the front of an IMAX theatre and say that.

Say what? That 3-D movies suck? It doesn't matter where I sit in an I-MAX theater, 3-D is 3-D and it will suck no matter what seat I'm in...

And I hate watching movies in the front. You have to look up and constantly turn your head so you can see everything on the screen. I go in the very back row everytime and the screen is still plenty big enough from that view.

top topics

join