It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid or glitch? Google Sky user spots strange, undiscovered glowing rock in our solar system

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

A user has found a 'huge asteroid' while scanning the virtual heavens using Googly Sky.
Youtube user planetkrejci, who has investigated other anomalies on NASA pictures, claims the object - found using the Google website which transports the heavens to desktop computers and smartphones - is an asteroid which is heading towards Earth.
He says the asteroid - which, if real, has not been spotted by other scientists or astronomers - has only appeared recently on Google Sky, which receives updated images every few months.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... x3JUJZeO

Look pretty intense. Any ideas what it could be? Aside from kryptonite? lol..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Most likely a glitch, like many others:

And so on....

Dozens of others to see here:
Google Sky Anomalies
My Collection of Google Sky anomalies
edit on 6-6-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

Wow.

Search does not seem to work on Google Sky, but it's definitely there.
Try this link

Added screen shot from Google Sky

edit on 6/6/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: added screenshot

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I don't feel like those glitches are similiar. These seem to fit perfectly in their own little craters on the asteroid. It seems very in sync with the texture of the asteroid.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Is there a chance that while making this program Google added a few Easter eggs for people to find. Looks like kryptonite.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Thanks for embedding the picture! Much appreciated.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

I was able to enhance the guys image, I don't think it's an asteroid...

Good find!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ok, that's interesting. Yesterday I made a thread about this :

Probably nothing, but will share it just in case. I checked if I was missing an update for this app but no pending update found. So....what do you think?

I have the Asteroid Alert App on my Iphone. I check it almost every day and it always worked without failure and info displayed normally.

About 30 mins ago (plus the time to make this thread), I checked and it is not giving information of any upcoming asteroids. I captured the images from the phone.

I included some pics there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
reply to post by elevenaugust

I don't feel like those glitches are similiar. These seem to fit perfectly in their own little craters on the asteroid. It seems very in sync with the texture of the asteroid.

Same colour, same hue...

More...

Other 'asteroids" or glitch?
edit on 6-6-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Found another one nearby

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Very interesting find!

I know others will say that you cannot use google sky to validate what is actually out in space, but I still think it is an interesting discovery.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
They are not asteroids. Asteroids look like stars when photographed from a long distance. The closer/larger they are, the brighter they look.

The only way to tell them apart from stars is by taking a series of images some time apart, so the motion of the asteroid can be observed in relation to the background stars, like this example of near-Earth asteroid 2004 FH.

Source: wikipedia

I'd agree with elevenaugust that these are probably glitches.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hmm, after looking at those last 2 examples I think it may be a glitch.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Wow, the author of that article didn't even bother to ask an actual astronomer what the thing could be before writing the article, nor did the editors make that suggestion to him. They just instantly accepted one side of the story from one random guy who posts something on the internet. That's some truly terrible journalism for you.

What a terrible news source.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Wow, the author of that article didn't even bother to ask an actual astronomer what the thing could be before writing the article, nor did the editors make that suggestion to him. They just instantly accepted one side of the story from one random guy who posts something on the internet. That's some truly terrible journalism for you.

What a terrible news source.

Sadly I have to agree. It didn't take much effort to find the true source of the problem as a single film plate defect, which doesn't actually look much like what you see on google sky. Google sky is not a primary source of sky survey data. It's been stitched, compressed, and composited. The originals are much higher quality. In this case it looks like there was a piece of debris of some sort on the film plate when it was scanned (these plates are huge and this is just a small part of one plate).
i319.photobucket.com...
The "object" is not present in other plates with the same emulsion from the same telescope of the same coordinates.
i319.photobucket.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

It IS 'The Daily Mail' after all. Lets face it, you can't trust 98% of what they say.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
looks like a giant brain

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Maybe its cybertron and the transformers are coming to save all of us..or a glitch, who knows

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Where is the source where you found this plates?
THX

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lamentiraestaahifuera

Plates? is that a typo, did you places?

2nd
edit on 7-6-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join