It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exceptional Rise in Ancient Sea Levels Revealed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I thought I'd post this for those here who are interested in the debate about whether or not there were periods of rapid sea levels rise during the last of the Ice age melt off.

Some of us believe that the sea level rose rapidly at times possibly forcing ancient man from his then coastal cities or villages to move inland up fresh water river valleys to start again possibly founding some of our oldest cultures/civilization while those possible ancient cities/villages lie submerged to this day.

Your thoughts?

Exceptional Rise in Ancient Sea Levels Revealed

ScienceDaily (June 5, 2012) — Since the end of the last ice age 21,000 years ago, our planet has seen ocean levels rise by 120 meters to reach their current levels. This increase has not been constant, rather punctuated by rapid accelerations, linked to massive outburst floods from the ice caps.

The largest increase, known by paleoclimatologists as 'Melt-Water Pulse 1A', proved to be enigmatic in many respects. A study recently published in Nature by a team from the CEREGE laboratory in collaboration with the universities of Tokyo and Oxford has revealed the mysteries of this event, without doubt one of the most important in the last deglaciation.....

edit on 6-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

interesting..

thanks for pointing this out..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well since early man would have depended massively on suitable terrain such as coastal & rivers for food production i think its absolutely obvious most of our history is now under many feet of water

How often is an ice age?

How long has modern man existed?

How old is our oldest cultures & civilizations?

= Just how much history we have lost, perhaps over & over again

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's good to see you posting threads again, Slayer

I read that article a little earlier today. Researching it lead me to this

As far as the impact on current and future warming on sea level rise, the researchers say that their study "demonstrates the complex reaction of the ice caps to a major climatic disturbance, particularly for the potential instability of the Antarctic ice cap."

Furthermore, because climate models prior to 2007 "did not provide realistic simulations of the dynamic response of the polar ice caps to global warming used by the present study," we're more likely look at sea level rise double that predicted in 2007, or 600-180cm by 2100.

source

It may very well be time to begin moving inland.

J

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

If you are interested in some of my theories on that subject please feel free to click on the Ancient series linked down below in my signature

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I think its quite possible this "ice cap melting" was caused by a "polar shift"...

The poles got closer to the sun and melted...

I mean... what else could cause it?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I honestly don't know. I have some theories but I haven't properly formulated them yet. Suffice it to say I think the Earth goes through certain cycles that we fully don't understand and appreciate the magnitude of yet.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I mean... what else could cause it?

I would suggest that Graham Hancock has been vindicated. In his book, Underworld, Hancock postulates the following:

As the earth came out of its last Ice Age the ice began to melt and glaciers recded. The sea level began to slowly rise. In Canada the vast impact crater known as Hudson Bay began to turn from a frozen state into a liquid one. The water in the bay was actually a heat sink, so it melted faster than the ice on the surrounding land, which acted as a dam.

When the ice dam broke, an incredible amount of water was unleashed from the Hudon Bay prison into the world's oceans with a resulting rise in sea level, quite suddenly, by as much as 60 feet. Any coastal civilizations would have been wiped out. Not that a lot of people did not survive, but the basis of their civilizations were gone. Thus we have the universal flood stories such as Noah's Ark, which have survived to the present day.

Science has, at least until now, had a hard time with this, but it is not unprecedented. Even in scientific circles it is pretty well acknowledged that the same sort of thing happened with aopther ice dam, again in Canada, that burst and sent a torrent of water down the east side of the Cascade Range in Washington State, creating the badlands that still exist, and exiting via the Columbia River into the Pacific Ocean.

Hancock's book has many examples of sunken formations around India and Japan as well as detailed accounts of the rise in sea level.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I have some of his books on the subject. I disagree with his notion of an ancient "Global Civilization" I do feel however that there were a few slightly advanced early coastal cultures/possible civilizations which had to uproot and head inland to higher ground and reestablish themselves.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
8.2 kiloyear event

The 8.2 Ka cooling event may have been caused by a large meltwater pulse from the final collapse of the Laurentide ice sheet of northeastern North America—most likely when the glacial lakes Ojibway and Agassiz suddenly drained into the North Atlantic Ocean.

The initial meltwater pulse has caused between 0.5 and 4 meters of sea-level rise. Based on estimates of lake volume and decaying ice cap size, values of 0.4–1.2 meters (1–4 ft) circulate. Based on sea-level data from below modern deltas 2–4 meters (6–12 ft) of near-instantaneous rise is estimated, recorded superimposed on background 'normal' post-glacial sea-level rise. Meltwater pulse sea level rise was experienced fully at great distance from the release area. Gravity and rebound effects associated to the shifting of watermasses mean that the sea-level fingerprint is smaller in areas closer to the Hudson Bay. The Mississippi delta records ~20%, NW Europe records ~70% and Asia records ~105% of the global averaged amount. The cooling of the 8200 event was a temporary feature, the sea-level rise of the meltwater pulse was permanent.

I would hypothesize that the draining of Glacial Lake Ojibway along with the drain of Lake Agassiz was the cause for most of the catastrophic sea level changes during the end of the last ice age. And I would think it is safe to say that the story of the great flood in the bible is just a distant memory of this event handed down through generations.

Could this also be the cause of the disappearance of some of the great lost cities of the world i.e. Atlantis, Bet Dwarka and whoever built the Yonaguni Monument.

I also think there was a great civilization that existed in the fertile crescent before the Sumerians, but now is under the Persian Gulf. The Sumerians carried on their traditions from their ancestors after finally rebounding from the great flood.

edit on 6-6-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

I'm putting the finishing touches on a thread on something very similar.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by olliemc84

I'm putting the finishing touches on a thread on something very similar.

Awesome can't wait to read it! I have always been interested in this topic after going to sunday school and having the Noah story bashed into my brain. I always knew it was all a memory and not to be taken literally.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

If you are interested in some of my theories on that subject please feel free to click on the Ancient series linked down below in my signature

I have been reading & S&F literally everything you have posted on the subject, such a fascinating topic, to me it is absolutely obvious we have lost much of our history due to long whether patterns such as ice ages and also cataclysmal events triggering other civilizations to collapse, were missing so much of the puzzle, our history beyond 10BC just kind of disappears and i think that is likely the time period something big happened to mankind, personally i believe Atlantis was the survivors of an even more advanced civilization, closer to that of our own today,

I think it is likely that almost all of the evidence for these civilization have been totally lost after 10-20.000 years of decay, and its possible that they have had even longer, 200.000yrs ? we struggle to find any sign of civilization after 10 - 20.000yrs

If we look at the fall of Rome it took almost.. or rather "just" 800yrs to regain a civilization that was on par technology wise?, after the fall of rome the dark ages set in, i mean religion... i think that just goes to show how quick a recovery rate is for us once a civilization falls, we can definitely us that to get a rough idea anyway, since we have been here a long time and our brain power has always been the same, its obviously not the fall of empires and advanced civilization that has been keeping us back, its absolutely obvious tho that "Extinction Level Events" that we have survived have been the cause of it all along with long range whether cycles

How long would it have taken to recover had Europe of gone under water in a ice age melt off? instead of the fall of an empire? alot/everything would have been lost, alot of collective knowledge and "smart people" would have been lost, we advance through collective knowledge and progressive knowledge over time and advance on the advancements, when that goes were back to square one, same brain power, but we then need to build up the archives with knowledge and "keep" that knowledge to further progress, we also need to wait for the Einstein's to come along

Lets just say it take 10.000yrs to get to the level of technology we are at today after all the above^, were still missing 90% of our history, its almost certain if we today was to see such a catastrophic event, within the time-line of 200k years there would not be much left for anybody to find in 190.000yrs, just as we also cannot find many impact craters, they have been eaten up or decayed over time

Personally, i believe we was engineered, or bought here individually as races from worlds that was destroyed, because how we just popped up makes no sense to me either, i think earth is simply an orphanage of survivors, just as the same way we create sanctuary's for endanger spices, there is a very very good chance that there are ET civilization out there up to a MILLION years more advanced, who knows what they have achieved in that time, whether they're a type 2, or 3, civilization, i would like to think someone is out there watching over and checking up on the kids,

Were not quite old enough for our first beer yet, were not even old enough to talk back,

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I'm headed out the door but will give our reply the time needed for a decent reply later this evening

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

I have some of his books on the subject. I disagree with his notion of an ancient "Global Civilization" I do feel however that there were a few slightly advanced early coastal cultures/possible civilizations which had to uproot and head inland to higher ground and reestablish themselves.

I agree. I'll have to revisit, but I don't think Hancock made the case for a "global civilization" in the sense we know it now, but a global effect on all nascent civilizations then extant. Leaving aside for a moment the idea there were advanced technologies, I'm thinking maybe these civilizations were very close to Renaissance technology, but I don't think there is credible evidence of, say moon landings and the like.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

So you don't think it was because ancient man drove too many cars or burned too much coal? ;-)

Edit to add:

I know the topic of this thread wasn't intended to be a debate on global warming--but I had to chime in because I'm interested in earth changes over time and often wonder exactly how much of what is going on now is man-made vs. naturally cyclical. Sorry to hijack the topic a bit.
edit on 6-6-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

No problem I know it creeps into threads. I don't wanna debate possible Mankind caused environmental issues but having said that, I'm all for leaving clean drinking water, air, rivers and having forests and jungles for our great grand kids to explore and enjoy.

Does his best Forrest Gump
That's all I'm going to say about that....
edit on 6-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the link Slayer

The key point of the paper is this part:

The research has primarily confirmed the existence of this exceptional event, which had been controversial in some regards. Its chronology, amplitude and duration have now been defined. It began precisely 14,650 years ago and coincides with the start of the warm period known as the 'Bølling oscillation', which marked the end of the ice age. The rise in sea levels at that time was an average of 14m worldwide, over less than 350 years. This corresponds to a rate of 40mm per year -- compared to the 3mm per year we are currently experiencing.

40mm is impressive for seawater rise per year - and for you non-metric Americans that a bit over 1 1/2 inches per year.

Now the question is were there greater surges during that rise? A man during a life time of 40 years would have seen the sea come up a little over 5 feet, sufficient to cause a move farther back up the river valley.

One note, there is no evidence that the first 'civilzations' started by the sea, the big ones started on rivers and a number of small ones well inland. (AKAWKN)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is kind of on topic and kind of off topic slightly.....

I know this discussion by Slayer focusses on sudden sea level rise attributed to melting.

Let me throw a spanner in the works...

Antartica has undergorund/sea volcanoes that are active. We all know about Lake Vostok. What if there was a layer of water under a portion of Antarctica that begun to act as a lubricant and caused a major portion of the ice sheet to simply slide into the sea?

That massive amount of water displacement (not to mention the subsequent tsunami produced) would raise the sea level dramatically in a very short amount of time.

How do we know this hasnt happened/been the cause in the past and cant again in the future?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

An interesting idea but glaciers tend to move very slowly, due to their weight and friction. The ice sea sheet in Antarctic is also on uneven land and incorporates mountains, making it somewhat difficult to 'slide' off, imho

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join