It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,000 year-old Roman gold and silver hoard uncovered in Israel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Could you explain that a bit please? Thought from the article it said many of the coins date from the time of Trajan? Are you saying there is a link between these and the Shroud of Turin?

I'm rather confused now! (rather than argumentative).

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Let the eye ties have it back they need the cash badly...Isreal has its own sugar daddys anyways......

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

i was just thinking about the coins...

doesn't the "shroud of Turin" image have Roman coins placed over the eyes?
(there's just a bundle of things that can be addressed if the coins could be positively identified)

All I know is there is a lot of controversy over the topic of possible coins placed over the eyes of the figure in the shroud. This site tracks the debate that ensued over the issue: Doubts Concerning the Coins Over the Eyes

That said, the coin hoard here is beyond a doubt Roman.

2,000 year-old gold and silver hoard uncovered

The coins that were discovered date to the reigns of the Roman emperors Nero, Nerva and Trajan who ruled the Roman Empire from 54-117 CE. The coins are adorned with the images of the emperors and on their reverse are cultic portrayals of the emperor, symbols of the brotherhood of warriors and mythological gods such as Jupiter seated on a throne or Jupiter grasping a lightning bolt in his hand."

Israeli archaeologists find ancient Roman treasure

The coins in the cache make its dating quite accurate. The coins were minted in the reigns of Roman emperors Nero, Nerva, and Trajan. The oldest of the coins is dated to 54 CE; the newest was minted in 117 CE.

"The coins feature the portraits of the emperors, with their flipside embossed with scenes from the imperial cult, symbols of comradeship, and gods of the Roman pantheon such as Jupiter on his throne or holding lightning in his hand," Amil Eljam, who headed the dig, said.

As they state, if the coins had been discovered by the Jews at that time, they would have re-struck them. Clearly then this hoard had never fallen into Jewish hands prior to being hidden. The Bar Kokhba rebellion had failed and in the aftermath they were largely driven from their homeland in Palestine.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

The Romans recognised Palestine and you could be a Palestinian who was a Roman citizen and be the person who buried the hoard. Do note that the ring had an engraving of Jupiter no ancient Hebrew would have worn.

Correct, I believe that is a European God (Roman). So I guess give it to Europe. Glad we agree there is no argument at all for this belonging to Palestinians. Please stop derailing this thread your bigotgry.

Amazing find, wonder what I would do if I came across such a wonder in my back yard.

Bigotry against whom?

You will have explain who you think I am being bigoted against? Would it be the ancient Romans.
edit on 8-6-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join