It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

2,000 year-old Roman gold and silver hoard uncovered in Israel

page: 1
16
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
2,000 year-old gold and silver hoard uncovered


A spectacular 2,000 year-old gold and silver hoard was uncovered in an archaeological excavation conducted by the Israel Antiquities Authority in the Qiryat Gat region.


The treasures had been wrapped in a cloth and buried in a courtyard. Most of the coins date to the reign of the Roman emperor Trajan, and were probably hidden during the Bar Kokhba Revolt, which occurred between 132 and 135 A.D.

Archeologists surmise the trove was hidden away by a wealthy woman 'at a time of impending danger' due to the revolt between Jews and Romans.





One can only assume she did not survive the revolt to return and reclaim her treasure. The engraved symbol in the ring is of Jupiter grasping a lightening bolt.




posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
better not let the missus see that or she'll go ooh and probably demand that i'll copy the designs and the credit card will go into hiding for a month or two



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Impressive collection.

the cult depiction of roman gods is kind of fascinating, i'd love to have something like that. the handmade look of beaten gold just makes it more beautiful, i might take a pic of this ring to a jeweler friend and ask him to make a modern version of it!



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What a nice find!

The jewelry is beautiful!

Makes you wonder how many other "treasures" are buried out across the world.



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath
 



According to the source, "The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was funded by Y. S. Gat Ltd., the Economic Development Corporation for the Management of the Qiryat Gat Industrial Park." There's no mention whatsoever of 'Eastern European' anywhere and I presume Qiryat Gat Industrial Park is under the ownership of the "Economic Development Corporation for the Management of the Qiryat Gat Industrial Park", making any claims by Palestinians rather remote. The jewelry obviously belonged to a Roman noble, who either fled during the uprising to never return or was killed.



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
well considering that emperor trajen used the jews as slaves to build the colosseum and plundered their treasure to fund it. I say let isreal keep it.



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath
 



According to the source, "The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was funded by Y. S. Gat Ltd., the Economic Development Corporation for the Management of the Qiryat Gat Industrial Park." There's no mention whatsoever of 'Eastern European' anywhere and I presume Qiryat Gat Industrial Park is under the ownership of the "Economic Development Corporation for the Management of the Qiryat Gat Industrial Park", making any claims by Palestinians rather remote. The jewelry obviously belonged to a Roman noble, who either fled during the uprising to never return or was killed.



Considering that 99% of Israelis are decedents of immigrants that arrived in the last century, that all Askenazis Jews are decedents of converts, that the state of Israel was imposed on the peoples of the Middle East by the post colonial Western powers, I would say the hoard belongs to the Palestinian people.

The Romans recognised Palestine and you could be a Palestinian who was a Roman citizen and be the person who buried the hoard. Do note that the ring had an engraving of Jupiter no ancient Hebrew would have worn.

What is this insignificant "uprising" are you referring to and what is this made up "Qiryat Gat"? It sounds Hungarian or Ukrainian.



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
MI5edtodeath has a pretty good point there.

is this my second line...yup I think it is!



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath
 


I see your point, and I'm not arguing with you on that. The find is clearly of Roman origin, so the question would be who has the right to claim it, the Palestinian authority, or the Israeli authority? The Romans recognized the land in question as Palestine, but that was more a geographical designation than a racial designation of a people.

Unfortunately we know that land that may have once been owned by a Palestinian Arab is now likely owned by an Israeli, so the legal question of who owns the relics beneath the soil is a real 'sticky wicket'. The courts will say this find belongs to the Israeli Authority. As the age-old adage goes: "finder's keepers".
edit on 6-6-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer
 


That ring is Incredible!!

One can only imagine what its worth... Look at the detail!!


Nice find! S&F



edit on 6-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

The Romans recognised Palestine and you could be a Palestinian who was a Roman citizen and be the person who buried the hoard. Do note that the ring had an engraving of Jupiter no ancient Hebrew would have worn.



Correct, I believe that is a European God (Roman). So I guess give it to Europe. Glad we agree there is no argument at all for this belonging to Palestinians. Please stop derailing this thread your bigotgry.

Amazing find, wonder what I would do if I came across such a wonder in my back yard.



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This is proof that the entire area belongs to Rome and the Jews stole it!

The so-called ''Israel'' should be given over to the Pope so he can create a mass detention center immediately.



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
It's been in the ground for 2,000 years, the geopolitical entity it once belonged to ceased to exist ages ago. If anyone did have a legal claim to it, it would be the property owner where it was found. But as it was a sanctioned archeological dig it belongs to the team/university/antiquities authority that undertook the dig. Yeah the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis sucks but it really has no bearing here.

The more I look at that ring the more I dig it. Love the bold color, and look of that solid hunk of gold, etc. That thing is gorgeous.



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer
 


I love finds like this, thanks for sharing. Aside from the wonders of the actual hoard itself, i kind of get lost with this sort of find wondering what eventually happened to the owner - presumably nothing good as they never made it back for their hoard!

Is there any indication what the mineral is in the ring? Or is it simply coloured glass?



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
that ring has amazing quality
ive never seen a ring so just "GOLD"
its perfect

also does it have a look of nephilim?
SnF
edit on 7-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer
 


The stone in the ear ring / brooch looks slightly like Peridot - if so, this would indicate the owner was extremely wealthy. Peridot was mined at St John's Island in the Red Sea and was available to the super rich.



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon
 


Wow!! Thanks for the larger more detailed picture!

What a beautiful ring!! I would love a replica of it



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
It's been in the ground for 2,000 years, the geopolitical entity it once belonged to ceased to exist ages ago. If anyone did have a legal claim to it, it would be the property owner where it was found. But as it was a sanctioned archeological dig it belongs to the team/university/antiquities authority that undertook the dig. Yeah the situation between the Palestinians and Israelis sucks but it really has no bearing here.

The more I look at that ring the more I dig it. Love the bold color, and look of that solid hunk of gold, etc. That thing is gorgeous.


Why that even needed to be said is rediculous. Can we focus on the last part now hopefuly. Indeed gorgeous.



posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
i was just thinking about the coins...

doesn't the "shroud of Turin" image have Roman coins placed over the eyes?
(there's just a bundle of things that can be addressed if the coins could be positively identified)



new topics

top topics



 
16
<<   2 >>

log in

join