It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another "Zombie" attack in Southern Louisiana.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Yup, fun topic...

Not sure why we need a special zombie gun. Then again why special zombie only ammo?

The local university should start offering classes, maybe even a major in zombieology.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

I thought the same thing initially. Any gun will suffice, right?

Well those dudes cover all the bases, right down to bayonette or large spike for CQC brain thrusting
The video shows how they approached it, complete with a simulation of an attack in the end. Def worth a watch. What's that!!!??!

Whew, never mind

What's with ppl huffing these strange drugs nowadays anyway? These poisons lead to face eating for cryin out loud. In my day (maybe later) it was a coouple dime bags, a 12 pack and a radio. We didnt want bath salts or to bite anyone in their face

edit on 6-6-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Started to watch it, looks pretty long. Maybe later.

Friend of mine used to make muzzle loaders. Lots to know about that.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sensi

I often wonder if we ever actually hear from these attackers again? If not, that raises a red flag. But I agree this could be more like The Crazies than undead zombies.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think the definition is being re-written in public right now.

traditionally Zombies have been known as the living dead, who can not be killed by conventional means, other than the removal or destruction of the Zombies head/brain.

Another hallmark of a real Zombie is their craving for human brains and the spread of their disease through fluid transfer, most commonly spread through biting the victim.

The Zombies are dead and reflect their stage of decomposition at the point of reanimation. Newly deads are in better physical condition than long dead Zombies.

I am sure you all know this, but I think the most common visualization we use to identify Zombies are their lack of communication abilities, their grunting, their demented behavior, and obviously their craving to feast on living humans.

Seeing stories of normal people going mad, chasing, assaulting, and eating their victims does push a lot of people to make the comparison to typical Zombie behavior, exluding the undead part.

The definition of a Zombie has remained mostly unchanged throughout the years. It would take quite a lot to rewrite the pop culture definition of Zombies, but what we are witnessing recently seems to be making a strong push at updating the definition.

I believe the Will Smith movie, I am Legend, had a variation on the traditional Zombie. In the movie they contracted a virus I think. I am not at all certain the more I try to remember, but it seems like the virus caused them to develop traits of living Zombies.

The more I think, the more unsure I am. I have something telling me that the victims contracted the virus then died and almost instantly after death they were Zombies. Then again, I don't recall his dog actually dying before it became a Zombie, so maybe they didn't die before becoming Zombies......

Anyway, I am only trying to say that cinema has been unable to successfuly alter the definition of a Zombie, but real life events and third party perspective may be what will ultimately change the traditional definition of Zombies - like an update for the 21st century.

It would make for a decent Zombie movie twist... being exposed to the virus through an alien agenda and having the virus remain dormant until a high percentage of life on Earth is infected. Then activating the virus through some means.

I think it would be another good change if there were no obvious tell tale signs of who is and isn't carrying the virus and no hint of when the infected person could flip into Zombiedom. No way to test a normal person to discover if they are a carrier or not would probably drive every normal person into solitude, as they fight to protect themselves.

With no way to know who is infected or when they will creep out, you wouldn't even know if you were infected. Also, the transformation into a zombie could be instant or near instant... looks like I got a little carried away in fantasy land here, haha

edit on 6-6-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops & grammar jammer

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
I think the definition is being re-written in public right now.

Or at least becoming more broad.

Zombies have changed before. Up until George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead in 1968, zombies were seemingly undead slaves in Haitian folklore. Then they became the most popular variant, flesh-eating undead. When 28 Days Later came out, the attackers weren't the living dead, but infected human beings acting basically the same as zombies. Some were hesitant on calling these people zombies, but they, for the most part, are a different kind.

I think popular culture is becoming more open to define "rabid and mindless" creatures as zombies, albeit a different type.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalamord

I do agree with you. I had forgotten about 28 days later, but had I remembered,I would not have realized they were 'living' Zombies, because I only watched 1 time a few years ago.

I am also not familiar with Zombie culture prior to the 1968 undead classic you mentioned. I believe most pop culture Zombies are defined using the most prominent Zombies films as reference.

"Dawn of the Dead" was able to make some changes to the common perception of Zombies and the way they interact in their environment. Typically, Zombies have been slow, so slow that any horror fan would always find themselves wondering why the still living characters wouldn't simply walk right past them.

"Dawn of the Dead" made Zombies terrifying again when they allowed the Zombies the ability to sprint, jump, and climb with better than average skill.

I am definitely curious to see if future Zombie movies will build on the evolution of how we define modern day Zombies.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I don't think the word zombie is uttered a single time during either ofthe 28 days films.
They're referred to as "infected".

I don't think those films were trying to go for the zombie angle either. Infected do eventually die from starvation or other means, while zombies live and feed until they're put down. They were merely showing infected crazy people. I guess people can use the word zombie to describe the sick peoples behavior, but is that really changing or widening the definition of what a zombie is?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Yeah, the zombies before NOTLD were mainly mindless slaves (supposedly) brought back from the dead, just like Haitian folklore.

The Dawn of the Dead remake made it more acceptable to have faster zombies, as well as a need for infection via bites. Previous movies, as well as the original DOTD had everyone who died come back as a zombie, as long as their brains were intact.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

I don't think the word zombie is uttered a single time during either ofthe 28 days films.
They're referred to as "infected".

I don't think those films were trying to go for the zombie angle either. Infected do eventually die from starvation or other means, while zombies live and feed until they're put down. They were merely showing infected crazy people. I guess people can use the word zombie to describe the sick peoples behavior, but is that really changing or widening the definition of what a zombie is?

You're right, there was no mention of "zombies" during the 28 Days/Weeks Later films. However, even if they weren't going for a zombie film, the similarities are there.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is directly changing how Zombies are defined. I do think it opens the door to new ideas of what defines a Zombie. They are no longer strictly undead, slow moving, bumbling, brain eaters with no abstract thought or learning ability.

I can't remember the movie, but a recent film explored the defining characteristics of Zombies and tried to expand upon them a bit, when one of the Zombies was shown to be learning how to use weapons or remember specific locations.

Pretty soon they will evolve far enough along that they will look and act just like you and I, with the only difference being they want to eat us and we want to pop their brains.

They'll have their own high schools and colleges, their own proms and job interviews. They develop their own tech advanced military and industrial complex. Eventually the war will be between the living and the undead... atleast until the Zombies realize they won't exist in any form without us being born to begin with.

Later on we'll sign a ceasefire with them and an agreement will be drafted that puts everyone in the lower middle class and below on a list to become a new type of organ donor, organ donors who are turned into Zombies after death.

That will eventually lead to the colonization of alien planets, where Zombies will grow their own humans to perpetuate their race and we will search for non-infected planets to live peacefully on.

Edit to add...

Wait a minute, did I just describe Vampires?
edit on 6-6-2012 by esteay812 because: ETA LAT

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I didn't realize that part, where everyone becomes undead if their brains are top notch after death.

I think that represents a more supernatural aspect of the Zombie idealogy, where some unknown, possibly spiritual force calls the dead to life..

'When hell is full and not another soul can fit, the dead will walk the Earth'

Seems a lot of the newer scripts call for a more plausible creation of the problem, through viruses or man made bio weaponry tests gone wrong.

Do you know what caused the Zombie Apocalypse in 'Shaun of the Dead'?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Has the definition of Zombie been reduced to anyone who bites another human???

If so...I think all of my children were zombies at one point in their lives.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It seems more like rabies. News reports says the drugs make them feverish so they strip down.
I've been thinking about all these cases, rumors of airborne rabies, hollow point bullets, FEMA camps and coffins...wouldnt it be a kick in the pants if I was preparing for and economic collapse but it was really zombies the Feds were gearing up for?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Do you know what caused the Zombie Apocalypse in 'Shaun of the Dead'?

I'm not sure, but if I'm wrong someone please fill me in!

SPOILERS

But I think near the end of the film when Shaun if flipping through TV channels,

Reports that the infection was spread by rage-infected monkeys have now been dismissed as bull... Television Newscaster

So I don't think there was a definite answer, but it is likely different from 28 Days Later.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hqokc
It seems more like rabies. News reports says the drugs make them feverish so they strip down.
I've been thinking about all these cases, rumors of airborne rabies, hollow point bullets, FEMA camps and coffins...wouldnt it be a kick in the pants if I was preparing for and economic collapse but it was really zombies the Feds were gearing up for?

Exactly what I was considering. All of these things seems to be connected, and if not, I have never seen such a huge coincidence before. The airborne rabies stories seem plausible.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Kalamord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Has the definition of Zombie been reduced to anyone who bites another human???

If so...I think all of my children were zombies at one point in their lives.

Exactly! Some chick who thought she was a vampire zombied me about 10 years ago too. Zombies are everywhere if that's the case. Four legged ones too! I walk my zombie twice a day. He would probably eat brains too.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Zombies eat brains mmmmmnnnnnn ill be just fine

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
just as i thought, from the Op link

Police say they suspect Jacquneaux was under the influence of drugs but can't say with certainty because a blood test was not performed when he was booked into jail.
now how many think that it will turn out to be "Bath Salts"... and no not the bath salts you get at the drug store but at a Head shop. I would post a link to the type of "bath salts" but then i do not want to give any one ideas. "blue snow" is one brand

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Funny how Marijuana gives you the munchies and the Synthetic Drugs make you want to Munch someones face off.

I live about 5 minutes from where this attack happened.

Carencro, La Man Bites Victims Face

This is your brain on Synthetic Drugs

Peace
edit on 7-6-2012 by KyleR because: typo

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join