It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet Society proclaims today as IPV6 day. What this launch is all about

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
IPV6 = Internet Protocol version 6

6 June 2012 – Thousands of companies and millions of websites around the world are permanently deploying the next generation Internet Protocol, IPv6, ensuring the Internet remains open and accessible for the future. World IPv6 Launch, organized by the Internet Society, begins today and is supported by the Number Resource Organization (NRO) and the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) who have long played a vital role in raising awareness about supporting the global deployment of IPv6.

Many parts of the world are increasing broadband penetration, more smart phones and network-ready devices are entering the market, and the sheer number of Internet users is steadily increasing – all of which raises IP address consumption. With IPv4 becoming scarce, the need for IPv6 deployment grows daily.

“World IPv6 Launch is a permanent step forward to ensure the Internet can connect all the people in the world, for many years to come,” said Leslie Daigle, Chief Internet Technology Officer for the Internet Society. “The Internet Society, NRO, and RIRs are strong advocates for the importance of IPv6 and its impact on the Internet's future growth.”

Read the rest of the Press Release here

It's all well and good to say they want the Internet to be available to everone, but how realistic is this in view of the creeping poverty among the populations of the world's countries? Is there more at play in this great scheme, such as tacking us more and more and more?

IPv4 is the current version of the Internet Protocol, the identification system the Internet uses to send information between devices. This system assigns a series of four numbers (each ranging from 0 to 255) to each device. IPv4 only allows for about 4 billion addresses and the Internet needs more room than that. IPv6 is the new version of the Internet Protocol and expands the number of available addresses to a virtually limitless amount–340 trillion trillion trillion addresses.

Charts and graphs explanation here

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
IPV6 is a necessity.
This will explain the "why" part.

The how part is a bit more complicated. Most people will just live in a dynamic world and not worry about how the addressing happens. Some of us have to worry about it and will have no choice but to adapt to the new technology. I am afraid there is no conspiracy here, just a networking nightmare of learning advance digital language all over again.
edit on 6-6-2012 by network dude because: bad spelr

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Agreed.

I just started last week learning about the changes in IPv6 and it is not easy.
Mind you I recently.. finally... got my head wrapped around IPv4, so.... as you can imagine, I feel rather stupid when it comes to the new addressing schema.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
No conspiracy here

This is all just about us running out of IP numbers with V4...

With our cell phones, PC's, Tablets, TVs and even washing machines and cars having IPs, 4billion was simply not enough

This increases the number of available IPs to something like 3 trillion trillion trillion available numbers..

Long over due in my opinion

Semper

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Now we have enough IPs for all of us to have individually addressable chips implanted. Great work guys.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I understand about more communication gadgets, but I also see much less use of them in the unemployed. Why does my washing machine need to be connected to the Internet?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
LMAO Conspiracy ? Give your head a shake, I worked for verizon in the IT dept for 3 years a few years back, the fact that normal ip address are running out is very real, there is many businesses across the world that strive on blocks of static ip's and without them they can't use alot of their equipment or remote connections. The new ipv6 is based on hex and will provide alot more wan connections then ipv4.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It's compelling to see the microcosm in the internet; a universe within itself of infinite knowledge. My network is currently running IPv6 secured only in local, and so far there is nothing out of the ordinary.

The only "conspiracy" that can come out of this infrastructure update are the types of root security certificates used to confirm authenticity of IPv6; basically, a new IP protocol must abide by only the current certificates and regulations presented by sovereign state communication agencies.

With these new internet acts and legislation meant to perverse on our privacy, the IPv6 would have to comply with new regulations such as SOPA.....

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PartyBROS

I am not saying that the "story" is untrue, I am just pointing out the consequences whether intended or unintended.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

It send my wife a text when the clothes are done

So does my dryer..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by aboutface

It send my wife a text when the clothes are done

So does my dryer..

I remember when.......

I guess I am just getting old.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Well, Semper, if you needed a straight man, I think I just passed my audition.

I knew that yesterday was was dull brain day for me but boy did I set you up for that one! You seriously owe me.

Back on topic, I understand about all the communication gadgets, but the appliances will be linked for what purpose? Energy consumption monitoring?

top topics

join