It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS EURO 2012 Fantasy Football Tournament.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Well yeah I know... but I was like 30 points behind

And I will rue those missed games, I could have earned another 20 points or so.

Still, the standard of football is keeping me occupied anyway and the dream team is a bit of fun.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
well what a tournament we've had so far. it has to be the one of the most exciting ive ever seen. the standard and quality on show is proof of european football being the best in the world.
no match is predictable (apart from our results) and no team is guaranteed a win.
who would have thought greece would go through after their first match defeat?
or holland losing all 3 games?
the last world cup in africa was very predictable and boring. there was'nt many exciting matches. most matches in this tournament have been very good to watch. there has'nt been a 0-0 draw yet. i dont think there will be either.
a lot of the players are playing in the champions league, or europa league, so they have experience of top flight football already. and it shows.
our fantasy football league gives it a bit more of an interest in the matches.
when my captain scored the other day i thought "great double points" !!!

its my first time doing a fantasy football competition. i must enter one for next season.
ive finally been knocked off top spot. by one point.
with only seven matches left after the group stages, picking a strong team at the start is a must....
good luck to everyone

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Really disappointed that Croatia didn't beat Spain, it was definitely Croatia's for the taking. Spains performance didn't warrant a place in the next round, their attacking was abysmal except the passing that was excellent but got them nowhere.

D-Day for England tomorrow...

Prediction: Ukraine 1 - 3 England

(Schevchenko. Rooney x 2, Gerrard)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Spain are passed their best - and their defence is definately not that good at all.
If England do progress and play Spain then whilst I still think Spain would be justified favourites we'll have a chance of beating them - as long as we are aggressive and positive.

Got to qualify first though and that's not going to be any easy task.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well... We're through, no losses and topped the group.

Italy next

We'll see what happens.

Come on England

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Anyone else having issues changing players and stuff?

I keep getting error messages?

It says no transfers remaining this round...and it's being weird?

Can we not make changes or what?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Made my changes earlier today as I didn't know if I was going to be home in time......everything was ok then, I think.
Supposed to be unlimited changes until first quarter final kicks off - hope you get your team changed in time mate.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Well no.... wouldn't let me make changes.

Kept saying "error 01"

Oh well.

I have a couple of each spread over my teams.

Hopefully can change it tomorrow for the game... we'll see I guess

Good luck mate

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

sounds like you forgot to log in,
or forgot to click on the 'make changes' icon
good luck anyway

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge

sounds like you forgot to log in,
or forgot to click on the 'make changes' icon
good luck anyway

Uh huh.... 'cos for 2 weeks I've logged in and made changes and then I just forgot

Man... that's funny.

No.. that's not what happened.... my team was up, I clicked make changes and I kept getting error messages

I'm not sure what it was but it f**ked me up man.

It's just not meant to be man.

I had two days of being unable to make changes and now this at the start of the Quarter Finals.

It's all good though.

The tournament has been awesome.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
well now we're down to the semi finals.
absolutely no surprises, except maybe portugal instead of holland
last night's match (england-italy) had to be the worst of the tournament. the only goalless draw.
but the best team won. what is it with england and penalties?
young and cole looked nervous before their kicks. they looked like they were going to miss.

portugal need ronaldo to play out of his skin if they are to get a result
and i cant see the italians beating the germans

so im predicting a spain/germany final-with the spanish triumphant again

so im looking good for a 1st/2nd in our fantasy football league.
ive found that a 3-5-2 formation is the way to go. with only 3 defenders you've less chance of points deducted for conceding goals. and with a 5 man midfield, more chance of a midfielder scoring which gives nice points ( i cant remember how many). or maybe its just beginners luck

anyways its given an extra interest in the tournament overall and a bit of fun as well
good luck trying to catch me up!!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

last night's match (england-italy) had to be the worst of the tournament. the only goalless draw.
but the best team won.

England were truly appalling and as much as it pains me to say but it would have been a travesty if Italy hadn't gone through.

what is it with england and penalties?
young and cole looked nervous before their kicks. they looked like they were going to miss.

Yeah, you're right - but at least they had the balls to step up to the plate.

We didn't lose it on penalties, that's a lottery really, but by our negative approach and the midfield sitting far too deep.

portugal need ronaldo to play out of his skin if they are to get a result

Spain aren't that good defensively and whilst Portugal are a bit of a one man side that one man could quite easily exploit Spains defensive weaknesses - but I suspect it'll be a Spanish victory all the same.

and i cant see the italians beating the germans

Neither can I.

so im predicting a spain/germany final-with the spanish triumphant again

Germany for me.

so im looking good for a 1st/2nd in our fantasy football league.

Yes, you've got to be commended, you've done it quite convincingly - just the minor places to fight for now.

anyways its given an extra interest in the tournament overall and a bit of fun as well

It certainly helps generate an interest in the whole tournament.

good luck trying to catch me up!!

I think Mama Cass is about to burst into song.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Congrats SK on a quite convincing victory - you led more or less from start to finish and both your teams were some way ahead of the rest of us - quite emphatic.

I'd hoped to catch blup up but it wasn't to be.

I thought the tournament itself was a sucess - the games in the Group stages were most enjoyable, the quarters and the semi's were a bit disappointing but the final made up for them.
I thought Spain were pretty boring but I must admit the first half performance against Italy was simply fantastic.

Whilst England went out at the stage most of us expected them to and I recognise that Hodgson had only a very short time to prepare etc but I was very disappointed with the nature of England's performance's.
We know we aren't as technically adept as the rest of the world so why do we try to be?
Let's play to our strength's; attacking, aggressive and positive along with that 'never say die' attitude we are famed for - the tactics used against Italy were so negative and it was possibly the worst performance I've ever seen from an England team.
Personally I fear for the future - as much as I respect Hodgson for what he's achieved I really don't think he's the right man for the job and he's very much a negative and regressive appointment and a 'Yes' man.
I sincerely hope time proves me wrong.

Once again, well done SecretKnowledge, but be warned - we'll be ready for you in Brazil in two years time!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Yeah man, I second that.

Well done Secret Knowledge

I agree, the tournament was definitely a success and honestly one of the best I've seen for a while.
As you say, a couple of quarters and the semi's didn't live up to the hype but overall I thought the tourney was just so much better than the last world cup and on the whole fantastic.

Just goes to show that the standard of European football is much higher than anywhere else in the world right now and for a while too.

As for the Dream Team Thingy...
I had so many issues it's not even funny.

Even in the latter stages, after I couldn't make changes before that first quarter final (kept getting error messages), I was able to make for the second quarter finals... and I thought before each round (quarters, semis and then final) we would have more changes to use..... that was NOT the case.

So I used up all my changes bar two, in the quarters.

I was unable to make ANY changes by the second Semi final and obviously none for the final either :shk: :shk: My fault for not reading the format/rules of how transfers would work and how many before/after each stage.

But still, did OK I guess.

Was a great tourney and the dream team thing was fun too.... always is, rooting for your players to score and cheering on random people in random games

And yes.... England are just **** mate, I think if we were more honest about that we could probably start making some changes.

Rooney and Young were awful.... truly dreadful at the tournament and I'm not even sure why we took Rooney?

We were playing well and as soon as he came back into the squad (I'm sure it's just coincidence) we started playing worse.

The household names and "superstars" need to realise that there are others who can and WILL play in their place if they're either not performing or they get banned or whatever.
We should not have used the Euro 2012 tournament as a means to get Wayne Rooney Match Fit.

I agree with your points on Hodgson too and it's the same reason I didn't want him as our manager too.

Negative football with a view to sneaking a goal if we can.

WTF??

Oh well..... there's always 2 years time.

I think Jamie Carragher was spot on in his criticisms of the England team and our abilities... whether Gerrard or anyone else likes it or not.

This is what English football has become. Our limitations laid bare to the point where so long as the “bulldog spirit” is on show the players have done all that has been asked.

It is never going to be enough to win a major tournament. At the next World Cup we will be having the same post-exit discussion about our inability to retain the ball and do anything more than try to stop the opponent rather than impose ourselves on them – and it will be doubly difficult in Rio.

The 38 per cent possession statistic against Italy as England exited Euro 2012 was damning and embarrassing. We will never beat a top nation in a tournament playing like this.
- Jamie Carragher

LINK

edit on 2/7/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Yeah, European football certainly seems to be on the up at present, even the Italians are looking to be positive - pretty ironic really considering England are trying to be even more boring and defensive than any Italian team I've ever seen.

I think blaming Rooney may be a bit unfair - he was obviously short of match fitness and with the midfield playing so deep within our own half he and Welbeck were pretty much isolated up front and received very little support.

But you are bang on with your assessment of Young - he was truly awful and that surprised me as he's had a good season and impressed previously with England.
I was also very disappointed in Milner and Parker who can only be described as mediocre at best.

I think the only players who possibly enhanced their reputations were Gerard who had a pretty good tournament, Glen Johnson was solid, got some vital tackles and blocks in and tried to get forward whenever possible and probably most surprisingly of all was John Terry who I thought played better than I've ever see him play before and was solid as the proverbial rock, (that's me eating humble pie - I've never really rated him as a person or a player).

But singling out individuals is probably a bit unfair as they were very much restricted due to the tactics employed.

As for the Fantasy League - I simply made too many wrong choices - I thought Holland would have done much better and then gambled on Germany getting to the final.

But none of that can detract from SK's fantastic achievement - finishing first and second takes some doing.

Having a Fantasy team compete in a league certainly makes tournaments more interesting - shame we can't organise something for The Premier League.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
so what was it? a tenner each?

thanks for the plaudits lads, at least d irish won something

surely that website does one for the premiership? lets hope they do
it most definitely gives an added interest in the tournament, i thoroughly enjoyed it.
transfers are the key, and formation.

as for the tournament, viva espana. ole.
like i said in the thread i started last night, that was a master class in passing and execution on goal.
clinical. it was the best display of passing football ive ever seen. what a performance.
the level of football throughout was excellent. apart from the england/italy game.
as for ireland? sheeeeeesh. where do i begin. i wont bother.
i will say that you cant teach an old dog new tricks, and crapattoni is 73.
he's stubborn and stuck in his own way. no changing for him. and he's got another 2 years left

so its not looking good for us.
we've got germany and sweden in our qualifying group, so its a minor miracle we need
think i'll take up conspiracy theories.... oh wait....

i actually found the fantasy football fairly easy.
so pull your socks up next time lads, a bit more competition would be nice

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Don't know if there's enough interest etc for a season long league - I'd certainly be up for it.

Oh....and be warned, I won't relinquish my World title easily,
but that is a long way off.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And I will never give up my 2nd place!!

That's two tournaments in a row I have finished second

Do not mess with me!!

:shk:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Congrats, a double whammy.