It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google’s new warning tool flags ‘state-sponsored’ attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've been using GMail for ages and I visit YT on occasion. I notified Google about suspicious emails in my inbox inviting me to view certain YT videos I've already seen. The invite comes in some Asian script. I don't open them and used to trash them I have not heard back from them, and if my hunch is correct, they must have received oodles of complaints like mine. How are they getting through their mail security? Or better yet, why?

Here's the RT news item.

Google has a new trick up its sleeve. The internet company introduced a new warning system to let users know about “suspected state-sponsored” attacks.

“We are constantly on the lookout for malicious activity on our systems, in particular attempts by third parties to log into users’ accounts unauthorized” said Eric Grosse, Google VP of security engineering in a blog post on Wednesday.

“Today, we’re taking that a step further for a subset of our users, who we believe may be the target of state-sponsored attacks.”

If Google suspects your account is being targeted by a government attack, a banner will appear at the top of your screen warning the user and suggesting courses of action, such as increasing password and account security.

Google says the suspicious activity it flags may be nothing more than a phishing or malware attack, but Grosse does add an ominous note.

“You might ask how we know this activity is state-sponsored. We can’t go into the details without giving away information that would be helpful to these bad actors, but our detailed analysis—as well as victim reports—strongly suggest the involvement of states or groups that are state-sponsored.”

Google, whose unofficial slogan is “Don’t be evil”, has recently had several large confrontations with the Chinese government.

Source

All well and good, but there is no warning at the top or above my inbox even though I am receiving this stuff, Google. I am miffed because my email trashcan has disappeared too.

ATS members: I expect that some of you will beat up on me because I have a Google account. Be gentle though. I would prefer to laugh than to fight.
edit on 6-6-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Man, I just cannot figure out where I stand with google.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Exactamundo. I use other search engines and receive very little email, but what about the tracking and directed ads? I'm honestly uncomfortable with them all.

join