It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio runner stops in state final to aid fallen opponent

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

What good did it do anyone?

Hard to say or know. Possibly a life-long friendship?
edit on 6-6-2012 by Kovenov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Now does the girl she helped "owe her one?"

Does she have to lose next year?

It's only fair right?

How is she going to justify beating her next year?

This is exactly what happened to the US when they supplied weapons to the Taliban.

They came back and killed us.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
I know its easy to feel good about this story and prattle on about "sportsmanship", but the truth is she lost. they both lost.What good did it do anyone?

NO they did not lose.

YOU lost, you have been for a while.

Please, no insult is intended. You are lost, that is all.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by getreadyalready

Ya know what.. life is not always fair...

Situations like this make those unfair moments tolerable.

I disagree. Life is not always fair, and situations like this infuriate me and point out the unfairness, and inconsistencies in all regulatory bodies, and point out the foo-foo nanny PC BS that is so popular and is ruining our next generations, and if I were a spectator at that event, I would have been raising hell.

If seeing someone so indoctrinated into PC crap that they let their own team down and go help a competitor, or if seeing someone cheat to get a finish, or if seeing a regulatory body ignore their own rules, is what helps make life tolerable then I must be from a different planet or time era or moral fiber.

This has exactly the opposite effect on me than it seems to have on you.

If everyone just does their own dam job, and follows the rules agreed upon before hand, and stays out of everyone else's way, then life COULD BE FAIR. Instead, we have what we have, and you're right, life isn't fair.

Of course there is an alternative view.

One that says winning is not all that important, how you win is.
Every rule must allow for the exception.
Our society must have real compassion and not this PC driven dribble.
I would take compassion over rules.
Could I suggest that your priorities are vastly different than this competitor's priorities and diverse views are healthy for a society. Why should she be forced to live by your creed.

I salute this great runner.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
...zZz...
edit on 6-6-2012 by unknOWNmirAGE because: Denying Ignorance.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

reply to post by ripcontrol

I'm not sure I agree this is such a good thing.

3200 meter race, 20 meters from the finish line. How hard would it have been to finish the race, and then jog back to help? It isn't like they were out on the Sahara desert, there were coaches, trainers, and emergency personnel on hand. Was the girl in life-threatening distress?

There are rules for a reason. Helping her cross the finish line doesn't do anything for the injured girl, and it only hurts the other girl's finish. What if she made an injury worse?

Seeing Kerri Strug nail her landing on 1 foot was amazing.

Seeing the people crawling across the Iron Man finish line literally delirious and puking, but finishing on their own is special.

But seeing someone give up their own finish, just to help an injured runner go a few extra meters seems stupid in my opinion.

Obviously, you have no idea what it takes to compete at a high level in distance running.

Kerri Strug? It's okay to compete with a major injury, but not to have a blackout because of lack of oxygen, because the young lady had pushed her body to hard out of pure determination?

Please sir, try to make sense of your own statements. Or just refrain from posting.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Are they both not athletes? i don't know but there's compassion and then in certain situations helping someone can be disrespectful towards their effort. The helper might feel good about helping and those watching from afar and those reading about it might too but that's just selfish back patting of the self righteous who never consider how their "help" hurts and shames others.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
OMG! she broke the rules!!!!!! by helping another runner. Oh the horror....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Obviously, you have no idea what it takes to compete at a high level in distance running.

Kerri Strug? It's okay to compete with a major injury, but not to have a blackout because of lack of oxygen, because the young lady had pushed her body to hard out of pure determination?

Please sir, try to make sense of your own statements. Or just refrain from posting.

Did you miss all the Ironman stuff I posted? I know what it is like to pass out from exhaustion. I've run marathons and triathalons. I've passed out at a squat rack before too!

If someone is hurt on a deserted road 2 miles from the next aid station, by all means help them. If they are passed out 20 meters from the finish line with race personnel all around, then mind your own business and finish your own race.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I know its easy to feel good about this story and prattle on about "sportsmanship", but the truth is she lost. they both lost.What good did it do anyone?

I think your opinion is heartless and i suppose you'd be one of many who would leave their wife/husband behind if they twist an ankle during a quick exit from a house fire.

This comment reminded me of a scene in a movie The Guardian where the husband nearly drowns the wife climbing over her to get in the basket.

Even though this is a sport i feel this is how you and many others would behave in any situation.

love and harmony (because you obviously need it)
Whateva

Edit: I finished reading the thread, and im sorry I singled you out, your not the only here that needs to learn compassion and mateship.

edit on 7/6/12 by Whateva69 because: added a big sigh for the human race

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Not impressed with this story.

The runner was not in any danger.

Looks like someone wanted a YouTube moment, 15 minutes of fame, or a resume enhancer.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It's that attitude that keeps the world spiralling into a cesspool.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

reply to post by freedom12

Did you miss all the Ironman stuff I posted? I know what it is like to pass out from exhaustion. I've run marathons and triathalons. I've passed out at a squat rack before too!

If someone is hurt on a deserted road 2 miles from the next aid station, by all means help them. If they are passed out 20 meters from the finish line with race personnel all around, then mind your own business and finish your own race.

I am seeing a pattern here. I too have run at a very high level and have done halfs and a full and am currently training for a Ultra (50K). It seems the people on here that have been in these girls shoes before understand and do not condone what was done. The ones who have not think it is great. Again. Not saying we should condemn her for it. Just saying they should have been disqualified. And think of it this way too. What if the girl she helped is laughed at the next day at school and made fun of for being carried. Kids are cruel and now she has to live with that and could be the brunt of jokes from now on. There are a lot more reasons why she should not have done this than there are reasons she should have. Again, Dont hate me just because I think this way. Stop and understand that I was these girls some years back. Well.. I am a guy, so not exactly them but I was in their shoes, I have run my self to exhaustion but I have also finished EVERY race I have run, Its called training and pacing yourself. The girl that collapsed obviously pushed too hard and didnt know her limits and you have to know your bodies limits. I admire her for being able to push to that point. It takes a special person to do that unless it was dehydration in which case its back on her for not drinking enough water. But either way, yes its a feel good story but it should not have happened this way. And yes I speak from a position of experience in this arena.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Think about your question, what good???

So, winning is more important than aiding a fellow human? This the world we live in...

I love news like this why can't we see beauty like this everyday instead of all the crap we see everyday?

Again think about what's messed up with your reasoning...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

So, winning is more important than aiding a fellow human? This the world we live in...

They were both in last positions, neither of them were going to win. For all intents and purposes the race was over anyway. The issue isn't "winning" the issue is "finishing" and following the rules.

It means a lot to finish a race under your own power. People crawl across finish lines sometimes, because they want the satisfaction of winning, instead of quitting.

This was not "aiding a fellow human," if she needed aid, there were professionals on site to administer aid, this was just cheating to finish a race.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

I think your opinion is heartless and i suppose you'd be one of many who would leave their wife/husband behind if they twist an ankle during a quick exit from a house fire.

So adhering to the rules, during a sporting event, surrounded by emergency personnel and race officials, is the same as abandoning a loved one in a house fire?

You know that analogy is ridiculous and out of line.

If I am in a race, and another competitor falls down, that's the breaks. I've fallen down myself, it happens. If I'm in a house fire, I will burn alive next to my children or wife before I will consider leaving the house. I am appalled every time I hear of a parent or sibling standing outside the fire waiting for Firemen to go in and save their loved ones. I might not be able to save them myself, but I can sure has hell die next to them so they are not alone.

Ridiculous comparison.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kovenov

What good did it do anyone?

Hard to say or know. Possibly a life-long friendship?
edit on 6-6-2012 by Kovenov because: (no reason given)

Or a lifelong looking for handouts and someone else to push you across the finish line every time things get hard?

Perhaps a life of forgetting where your loyalties lie and helping total strangers that may or may not appreciate or desire your help, and in the process ignoring your own family or team?

Yep, it is hard to say what the final effect will be, but what we can say for sure is that the rules forebade it, and most high-level competitors would not have appreciated it, and it didn't help her own teammates in the slightest bit.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

If you can't see past the idea of winning, this story is lost on you. This is a story about one person helpling another. Not because it would benefit them in some way, gain them some sort of advantage. Just to help another when she could have kept running and maybe improved her chances of placing higher. Bravo, young lady. Bravo.

That is just PC bullcrap we have been programmed to feel in this goody-goody age.

There is nothing sportsman of helping to disqualify another competitor? What she did was break the rules. What she did was dangerous and could have worsened an injury. What she did was not "helping" another person, it was disrupting a race and ignoring the rules.

Are you people reading the same story as me? She didn't stop to help a stranded motorist, and she didn't stop to pick up a hitchhiker in the rain, and she didn't stop and help some orphan study for their finals, what she did was get in the way of emergency personnel, break a rule, take unnecessary risks, give up her own race position, and all for nothing, because the person still finished last and was lucky to not get disqualified.

What purpose did it serve?

Does it have to serve a purpose? Do you have to get something out of it? A person felt the need to help another person, and that's that. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by reflexlm

Does it have to serve a purpose? Do you have to get something out of it? A person felt the need to help another person, and that's that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, helping another person is serving a purpose. Personally, I try to make sure every action I take serves some purpose, otherwise it is wasted effort.

Still, I don't believe this particular action did help another person. I think at best it was wasted effort, and at worst it was breaking the rules, risking aggravating an injury, and letting down her own teammates. So, best case scenario, it was still a stupid thing to do, worst case scenario, it was a really stupid thing to do, LOL!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah i know shame on me.
I was just a little bit annoyed thinking if it was me i'd want some compassion

love and harmony
Whateva

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join