It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author Ray Bradbury dies, aged 91

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Author Ray Bradbury dies, aged 91

www.bbc.co.uk

Author Ray Bradbury has died in Los Angeles at the age of 91.

Bradbury wrote hundreds of novels, short stories, plays and television and film scripts in a career dating back to the 1940s.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Very sad news on a great writer who influenced a lot of people, and who also wrote some great episodes of The Twilight Zone

Bradbury wrote hundreds of novels, short stories, plays and television and film scripts in a career dating back to the 1940s.

He will be missed, however his works such as Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes will live on.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I tried earlier to post this, but it didn't take. Odd.

Either way, farewell Mr. Bradbury. I will never forget the feelings of wonder, dread, and satisfaction works of yours such as "Something Wicked This Way Comes" or "Fahrenheit 451" gave me when reading them as a boy.

The world is a much more dull place with you gone.

Deepest Regards,
Dreine

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

One of the best short story writers. He was my main influence in writing.
RIP

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow. Another great writer dead.

More of a fantasy writer than an SF one. I was never all that crazy over him, but he obviously left his mark.

(P.S. "I Sing The Body Electric" was NOT a good episode of The Twilight Zone! Always hated that one, even when it was remade outside of TTZ).

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Along with Aldous Huxley and Phillip K. Dick, Ray Bradbury was a prolific and visionary author whose work influenced generations of readers in ways that went way beyond his storytelling. RIP Mr. Bradbury.
edit on 6/6/2012 by draco49 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
His collection of short stories, "S Is For Space" was the first book of science fiction I ever read, back in probably the third or fourth grade (it's not a children's book, despite the way the title sounds, the stories are for adults). This began my life-long interest in sci-fi, by far the genre I most favor reading.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Wow, he was one of my favorite authors ever. I read The Martian Chronicles on my own, and Fahrenheit 451 in my middle-school English class. Fahrenheit 451 has always had a place next to 1984 in my heart. I guess that's how you can tell I'm a genuine member of ATS, right?
edit on 6-6-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
His collection of short stories, "S Is For Space" was the first book of science fiction I ever read, back in probably the third or fourth grade (it's not a children's book, despite the way the title sounds, the stories are for adults). This began my life-long interest in sci-fi, by far the genre I most favor reading.

Science-fiction, as a genre, was never my favorite. What drew me to Bradbury was his ability to seamlessly weave a greater social commentary into his fantastic stories. Fahrenheit 451 was required reading when I was in HS, and was probably the first piece of required reading I really connected with and got into.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Mr. Bradbury was kind enough to host a writer's symposium every year when I was in high school advanced english class in Los Angeles County back in the 70s, encouraging those of us who had dreams of writing to put our doubts aside and go for it. A real gentleman and a wonderful, sometimes whimsical influence on the sci-fi genre.

Farenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper burns. The ideas which are set on paper are immortal. Thanks for helping point out the difference, Mr. Bradbury.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Mr. Bradbury was kind enough to host a writer's symposium every year when I was in high school advanced english class in Los Angeles County back in the 70s, encouraging those of us who had dreams of writing to put our doubts aside and go for it. A real gentleman and a wonderful, sometimes whimsical influence on the sci-fi genre.

Farenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper burns. The ideas which are set on paper are immortal. Thanks for helping point out the difference, Mr. Bradbury.

That must have been a great experience
My best author experience was a week I spent with Robert Anton Wilson in Amsterdam back in 1998. I would have loved to meet Bradbury and Huxley.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
damn, RIP Ray. I loved his books when I was in school in the 70's. He was one of the great Science Fiction writers.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Great writer, definitely one of my all time favorite short story writers. Lifelong friend of special effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen. If you ever have a chance to pick up the short story collection "The October Country", snag it. You can read a lot of Bradbury's influence in the works of Stephen King, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What a seminal and inventive mind we have lost. The man was an amazingly gifted seer and writer. Science fiction authors often miss the mark entirely, but only the best seem to have a talent for knowing what is to come.
Bradbury possessed that kind of talent.

With any luck he will still be mandatory reading in high school, as he was when I was a student in the eighties.

God bless ya Ray. Rest well Sir.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Within genre, I place F451 right up there with 1984.

Bradbury lived a life with much purpose.

My dedication to you, RIP, special gentleman:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Creepy. I couldnt sleep last night so I reached up and grabbed a Bradbury off my shelf and started reading.

Not something I usually do.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I got into Ray Bradbury when I was a teenager and thought, boy this guy was a visionary.

Our planet was enriched for him having been here.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There were books and then there were books. Certain books grabbed your attention as an impressionable young person and some of his were books. Fahrenheit 451 was a gripping masterpiece but my favourite is The Illustrated Man. As another poster stated, Fahrenheit 451 is right up there with 1984 and indeed a sign of ATS membership.

RIP Mr Bradbury, thank you for being you and doing what you did.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I also cut my teeth on Ray Bradbury during my youth. Add in Heinlein and Clarke as well. Anything Sci-fi, I had to read.

The earth will mourn his passing, yet I know he's stepped "aside" to let others take his place.

Rest In Peace.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

My favorite author!

So sad to see him go (dreaming of summer & dandelion wine).

edit on 6/6/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join