It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation Tips

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This is a set of tips for people newer to meditation, but it might also have one or more useful reminders for more experienced meditators too. I'm not making out like these tips are all 100% right, include everything you need, and are the best way to meditate, just ones that I've found have worked consistently. So this is just an effort to try and help.

- Sit in the lotus or half lotus posture.

- Check that your back is straight.

- Let go of any tension that you can sense in your body, feelings and mind.

- Tilt your head down slightly, so that vision is in line with the tip of the nose and looking about 3 feet in front of where you're sitting.

- Let go of any clinging and/or craving, and/or stress related to the outside world. You don't need none of this to have a good meditation, and if you don't let go of it, it will only obstruct you, often in several ways. You might not find it easy at first, but it does become easier to do.

- Allow thoughts to come and go. Don't try to hold them out of your mind or fight them! Just don't get attached to them. When thoughts come in to your head, try not to think further on them and just let them eventually pass by. You'll often lose your concentration, but don't get wound up, it's natural. Just calmly guide your mind back to your meditation focus each time you realise this has happened.

- Focus on your breath, and if fairly new to meditation, count the breaths to help with concentration. Either keep doing this for the whole meditation, or stop counting breaths after a while, then just sit with the awareness. Or focus on your body, your feelings, or your mind. Don't think of your mind as your "brain" though if you use this for focus. Think of it more like the mind is what comes from your brain and your heart combined, plus more. Don't allow your perception of mind to be one of just your brain and thoughts. Think of it more like the foundation of who you really are, or who you can be.

- Try to find the middle way with everything. Don't pay too much or too little attention to sight, sensations, sounds, the mind, and so on. Don't think of yourself or reality as real or not real, try to find a balance, a middle way with anything you think you know about yourself or the reality you're in. Don't deny anything, but don't fully accept anything as "real" either. By doing this, eventually something more natural is free to emerge, without any false perceptions hindering it.

- When you feel you're done with meditation, bring effort and persistence to mind and sit for a bit longer, even if it's just a few more breaths. Sit for that extra bit, and sometimes you might even end up sitting for a lot longer and having a meditation a lot better than you would've done if you'd not tried this. It seems like a small thing, but it can really turn an average, or below average meditation, into a great one.

- When you're done, don't just shift back to your normal everyday self, but try instead to keep the meditational awareness for as long as you can as you go about what you're doing.

- Even if it's just for 5-10 minutes, try to meditate every day. After even a short amount of time, if you're doing it properly enough, it can enhance everything you do. Maybe relate it to exercise : if you do it often, the changes become obvious.

- If you really get into meditation, research it! There's articles and guides for loads of different types of meditations written on various websites, videos on youtube and other video sites, in books, from real life teachers, and so on. Try to find what works for you best, don't just settle with what's written here. Think of this as just a starting point if you're new to it.

- Any doubts about meditation are fine and natural. But don't let them hinder your efforts to learn it. Don't doubt while meditating. After a while, if you're doing it properly, the doubts should pass.
edit on 6-6-2012 by robhines because: typo + added

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
what do you think about lying down to meditate? i've found that lying down works a lot better for me. sitting up can cause pressure on my back (and i'm sure anyone else with a "bad" or sensitive back).

the allowing thoughts to come and go was a tricky one fur me. i used to try and repress thoughts to "clear my head" but found that that only made it worse.

the breathing is a very important part to me, too! i try to let my head run it's course with thoughts and then once the carnival dies down, i start DEEP breathing and can feel my energy grow larger with every deep breath and the exhales usually make me tingle!

one other little trick i was taught was that before i really "get into" the meditation, is to envision grounding myself. i was told to do this by envisioning roots growing from my feet into the ground. now, it's kinda morphed. instead of envisioning roots growing from my feet, i envision leaves and vines growing from the earth and wrapping around body parts. leaves kinda shoot up out of the ground and envelope my feet and hands whilst vines grow out of the ground and loosely twist around my limbs and a little over my body. feels like Mom holding me in her arms!

one other little thing i would suggest: crystals! i seldom meditate without crystals now. they seem to be quite the catalyst fur me!

great tips you put together here my friend. whether fur physical or spiritual purposes, meditation is a wonderful experience. really helps me keep a handle on my head and life. very grounding and centering.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well done service to others
meditation does help to rebalance the ills delt with in everyday life. Only thing I can add is when in meditation and your NORMAL 3D eyes are closed look thru the darkness and manifest positive energy. Manifest it in a LIGHT ray showering EA*RTH in PEACE and HOPE or manifest a ring of protection around EA*RTH ect. basically when in deep mode try to LOOK with your 3rd eyes, never know what you may see or learn about yourself you may even find out how to better tune into your higher self and actually begin to see it w/ 3rd eye but normal eyes closed.

NAMASTE
LOVE LIGHT ETENRIA*******

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

I would recommend doing it away from the city, and somewhere in nature or at least where nature is present.

ETA: Thanks
edit on 6-6-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

What do you know about meditation? From discusions we,ve had your strictly ruled by your senses are,nt you?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I recommend lying down for meditation so you don't feel your body or any aches, at least I cannot sit and do that. And if you can, to deepen it to at least an hour or even 2, nearly every day if possible. Its very good for your health, if you can carve that time away, and the first 40 minutes is only deepening anyway. And binaurals help as well, theta, and if brave delta. It can be zenmind/thoughtless, or it can start with intentions, prayers, concerns that your are bringing to Family and Higher Self, or it can have a purpose even, but once the purpose is dispensed with, its best then to go zenmind, being. Seeking HS contact, or basically your own Soul.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That is a good list of meditation tips. As a meditator I approve of that list

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with those interested in learning about meditation. As you already know your karma will be rewarded for your positive efforts.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EncompassAll

What do you know about meditation? From discusions we,ve had your strictly ruled by your senses are,nt you?

I've been meditating my whole life.

No one can be strictly ruled by the senses without huge leaps of faith. Copernicus taught us how deceiving the senses can be. I am equally critical of science, materialism and sensuality as I am of New Age beliefs.

What do you know about me?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses and kind words! When it comes to lying down meditation I left it out because personally I had huge problems with drowsiness when starting out, and thought some people might just doze off each time too easily if they tried that. Even to the point that it could put them off.

But yeah I do have slight back problems, but have found that the more time I spend trying to get into a decent comfortable position with really slight movements, the easier I can actually settle. And I just think there's something about being sat in half or full lotus that's amazing when you get a good meditation going. It's like you wouldn't think you could relax properly like that sometimes, but when you do it's great, especially when you get a decent rush of energy as a meditation deepens.

My personal main problem is full lotus actually, not because I can't do it, but because I might have one or two knee problems that I could aggravate quite badly by sitting that way, and have felt the strain several times before. Will maybe try doing it again in the future, but half is fine for now.

And Ophiuchus : some of that sounds awesome and I think I've had similar experiences at times before, but was just trying to keep these tips simple for beginners. That's also why I made sure to add the part about researching, then maybe some people might go and find that stuff themselves. You've reminded me to try some of that type of meditation again though, so thanks! Maybe if I get a lot better at what I'm doing will expand with that more in some future tips/writing.

And thanks Ice and Unity for explaining a bit about your own methods too, will probably come back to them in the near future after experimenting more, because some of them seem like great things to try out.
edit on 6-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Well done service to others
meditation does help to rebalance the ills delt with in everyday life. Only thing I can add is when in meditation and your NORMAL 3D eyes are closed look thru the darkness and manifest positive energy. Manifest it in a LIGHT ray showering EA*RTH in PEACE and HOPE or manifest a ring of protection around EA*RTH ect. basically when in deep mode try to LOOK with your 3rd eyes, never know what you may see or learn about yourself you may even find out how to better tune into your higher self and actually begin to see it w/ 3rd eye but normal eyes closed.

NAMASTE
LOVE LIGHT ETENRIA*******

I missed this. Yes, see it, inside, but with that FEEL IT. FEEL UPLIFTED, a lightness, a joy, sense encouragement all around you. When thinking this meditation isn't working or I'm jut wandering, which can be good too, but, picture the light, ie. the glow and contemplate the lightest highest expression of this. All around you is just a painting, or picture, but those paints are wipeable's so, wipe the slate clean. And see a light filled, hopeful, awakening new reality around. See healing, see wakeups, see happy positive solutions coming left right and center. Always FEEL it! Sense and feel that positive upliftedness and then give thanks, so much thanks, not the groveling kind, but the joyful happy kind a small child says to family when given a gift, he is so happy and just "thank you so much" beaming delight and feeling loved.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
nice post OP

S&F
edit on 6-6-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

No one can be strictly ruled by the senses without huge leaps of faith. Copernicus taught us how deceiving the senses can be. I am equally critical of science, materialism and sensuality as I am of New Age beliefs.

Wow it would seem that you know everything about everything yet you believe non of it.

So how do you meditate. close your eyes and repeat in your head. im meditatating.

Your also contradicting things you were saying just yesturday.
edit on 6-6-2012 by EncompassAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
All the feedback so far is really good, lots of good advise. I have been practicing TM for 35yrs and have changed some things along the way. The one thing that was mentioned here but rarely else where is that it is best to perform a deep relaxation exercise before meditation. Once you are in deep relaxtion start your mantra or breath meditation or what ever type of meditation you pactice. You will get alot more out of your meditation by taking the time to do this. I use the relaxtion exercise used by some Clinical hypnotherapists. Just do a search and find one that fits you. Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Wow it would seem that you know everything about everything yet you believe non of it.

So how do you meditate. close your eyes and repeat in your head. im meditatating.

Your also contradicting things you were saying just yesturday.
edit on 6-6-2012 by EncompassAll because: (no reason given)

Like what? Tell me what I'm contradicting please, I'm curious. I've never mentioned anything on this board about meditation.

When have I ever said I know anything? Who has the confidence to say they know anything?

Don't let the words on your screen hurt your dogmas. They're harmless. Maybe you should honestly ask yourself why you're offended by my opinions.

EncompassAll

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

No offence taken dont worry! My memory last more than 24 hours. Im not talking about this thread im talking about previouse ones.

The question im asking is. Why would you meditate when you believe that reality as defined by your senses is all there is? The object of meditation is to remove yourself from your senses and expand your conciousness. Maybe search for answers when your free from external influence. So you both dont believe that theres anything beyond your senses, yet you apparently attempt to reach such a state.

Confused?

LesMisanthrope

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

No offence taken dont worry! My memory last more than 24 hours. Im not talking about this thread im talking about previouse ones.

The question im asking is. Why would you meditate when you believe that reality as defined by your senses is all there is? The object of meditation is to remove yourself from your senses and expand your conciousness. Maybe search for answers when your free from external influence. So you both dont believe that theres anything beyond your senses, yet you apparently attempt to reach such a state.

Confused?

Should of asked sooner...

Because it's healthy. Not because I hope to leave my body or attain some reward. I'm not going outward when meditating.. but inward.

I used to be buddhist believe it or not.

EncompassAll

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Confused?

Because it's healthy. Not because I hope to leave my body or attain some reward. I'm not going outward when meditating.. but inward.

You cant leave your body thats impossible, but the fact that you can leave your senses behind yet not lose conciousness should tell you something. You can still exist beyond your senses so where are you?

LesMisanthrope

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Confused?

You cant leave your body thats impossible, but the fact that you can leave your senses behind yet not lose conciousness should tell you something. You can still exist beyond your senses so where are you?

Explain to me how I'm losing my senses if I'm still breathing and in my body. Where do they go?

EncompassAll

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Your breathing is done automaticaly from your brain. Your brain recieves your conciousness. While you are in a state of deep meditation you are your conciousness not your senses. Your body continues to function yet you are no longer there. There are monks who,s body has died while meditating because they are so far out within their conciousness that never return.

The point im trying to make is, if you are your conciousness can still exist independant of your body and senses. Then what does that say about reality. It is what your conciousness allows it to be. Not what your body or senses defines it as. So reality is nothing more than a dream within your conciousness. Created by the divine conciousness for want of a better description, but using the very same conciousness that your using to experience it. So without conciousness there is no reality. Yet conciousness can still exist independant of any sense defined reality. So without conciousness there is no reality.

LesMisanthrope

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Your breathing is done automaticaly from your brain. Your brain recieves your conciousness. While you are in a state of deep meditation you are your conciousness not your senses. Your body continues to function yet you are no longer there. There are monks who,s body has died while meditating because they are so far out within their conciousness that never return.

The point im trying to make is, if you are your conciousness can still exist independant of your body and senses. Then what does that say about reality. It is what your conciousness allows it to be. Not what your body or senses defines it as. So reality is nothing more than a dream within your conciousness. Created by the divine conciousness for want of a better description, but using the very same conciousness that your using to experience it. So without conciousness there is no reality. Yet conciousness can still exist independant of any sense defined reality. So without consciousness there is no reality.

Well, this where we disagree. I don't believe the consciousness can exist separate from the body. I also don't believe in one consciousness to rule them all, but many beings with many different consciousness.

When you are in a deep state of meditation, you are still your body, because consciousness is still a product of the body. So, believing that meditation takes your conscious somewhere, when it is still where it always was, is called dreaming or imagination or whatever you want to call it.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join