It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most Religions say that sex is bad?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by albertabound

I'm sure others have pointed this out by now. I don't have time to read all posts.

It's not sex is bad; it's that sex outside of marriage producing unwanted children is bad. Sex between children producing children is bad. Teen pregnancies produce great suffering, mainly on the part of the children.

Also historically you have to consider venereal diseases and their consequences. There were no cures or treatments and the only way to avoid them was to limit sex to marriage.

Children born outside of marriage suffer the most are the least likely to succeed and have the worst lives in general. That is just a fact.

Nowhere does the Christian religion say sex is bad. For the sake of the children and to avoid disease should be common sense to sensible people. Religious people have very good sex lives, less divorce, less disease and their children have far brighter futures coming from loving homes with ample resources and a good environment.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general it's logical to promote responsible sexual behavior.

edit on 6/7/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Sex between two people can be a wonderful, beautiful, and intimate experience.....

...especially if you get yourself between the right two people

edit on 7-6-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Because sexual energy is the key to true power and divine wisdom. It is what consciousness is formed out of and it is how consciousness forms its reality. A person with large amounts of sexual energy is creative, charismatic, effective, empathetic, and clever. Feelings of guilt, shame, unworthiness, fear block the vital force which is sexual energy and render the individual (and the masses) banal and impotent.

In modern society, we are overwhelmed with sexual images, and many engage in promiscuity, but that does not mean sexual energy is free flowing. The reverse is true. The obsession with sex is caused by the feelings of guilt and sin. People are not in tune with their sexual power, yet instinctively crave to know it, so they objectify things and covet images of genitals.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

"Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with somebody I love!"
~ Woody Allen

As to religious taboos against sex, I think it has to do with harnessing our more animalistic sexual nature, which, unregulated, can be debasing to our humanity, and operate as a stumbling block to our continued spiritual development.

But the reasons that priests of the RCC aren't allowed to marry, well I think there's a rather dark secret lurking there in regards to Jesus' own sexual relationship with Mary Magdelene, who it is my understanding that he ran off with post-resurrection/rresuscitation, and who may have been murdered by those who hated her and/or who feared the idea of their procreation.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Religions don't teach that sex is bad. They teach that sexual immorality is bad. Engaging in sex for pleasure only, instead of for procreation, is a sin (according to religion), because sex was created for one reason: to propagate the species.

/TOA

I'm assuming this post above is NOT referring to Christianity or Judaism. The reason I say this is because the Bible clearly teaches that God created sex not only for procreation but for pleasure between one man and one woman who are married. There is an entire book in the bible on, yep, you guess it, joyful sex as it was intended to be. It is called Song of Solomon. It used to be that Jews had to be 30 before they could read or study it. (It is Old Testament, so it is considered holy scripture by Jews and Christians). It is true that the bible teaches that sexual behavior outside of marriage between one man and one woman is spiritually unhealthy, and while "fun" in the present, subtly destroys people through consequences. Generally people reject that thought until personal hindsight becomes 20/20.

Song of Solomon is online free, just google it. Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Celebacy, Marriage, and Sex represent different paths in approaching the same Tree...a person should enter the vocation that they are called to...if they enter a vocation they are not called to, it can become destructive. Within each of these paths are different ways of balancing refrain and non-refrain (including in celebacy)...when this balance is not properly observed, it begats imbalance and so extremism and one extremism begats another.

I've often thought of St. Paul on this issue as meaning along similar lines.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Kind of makes you want to start a religion purely based on nothing but sex eh?

Can I be a high guru prenist? (yea I know its misspelled, I joined 2 words together)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Perelandra

That's not how I interpreted Solomon's Song. To me, it seemed more like the woman was constantly rejecting poor ole Solomon, and he got to the point of being obsessed with her.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Becouse it gives power to woman!
they even blame hell on woman.
the apple from the tree of knowledge!

I think that Long ago,
woman was the rulers like men are now.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Having not delved beyond the OP yet, I have to say I agree, yet the premise is mostly self-imposed by those with little or no willpower. Christianity is clearly pro-sex, but Christian churches are either severely limiting in what kind of sex they deem appropriate. My Catholic church teaches that sex is a good thing, and not only should it be enjoyed, it doesn't need to be solely for the purpose of procreation. The only real "limiter" is that sex is done with the same intent everything is supposed to be done - with love. Probably a good code to live by, not necessarily for everyone. That and of course, marriage first. We told the priest in precana that yes, we had already had sex. His answer - so has almost everyone, its ok, we're also not getting married by 14 anymore. Promptly followed by his disclaimer - don't tell the Vatican I said that.

Outside of NY personal "church" experience, I think most all religions are pro-sex, while many churches and churchgoers have twisted things completely around. Many people are too easily lead astray, whether by "leaders" with bad intentions, popular opinion, or simply ignoring the obviousness of what their God would have intended.

What you're saying, OP, is true, but I feel the "blame" lies more with the individuals who allow the wrong people to interpret the Word of God (whether that be a text, or an interpretation of the divine, etc.) for them. Many people Re also so insecure that to not follow popular opinion would crush them. You have "free spirited" women who enjoy sex and are respected in every way, and then you have the ones who are considered "sluts" by many. I believe, though their actions are the same, their intent and their beliefs in what their sexuality means to them is quite different. The same, there's "man whores" who just want to have sex with whoever will get in their bed that night, as opposed to guys who may have sex with many women, but have a meaningful connection with their partners.

I'm rambling, but I'm spilling ideas. I think my thoughts on it are why bisexuals bother me. I may well be wrong-headed on this, but I feel lime if you're bi, its all about the base desires, with no higher meaning or feeling coming from it. I don't think "The Divine" would have intended humans to just copulate any time a member of the opposite sex could be found. We *are* different than animals, at least I believe so, but that doesn't mean we should be rigid beings who only have sex in the position approved by Reverend McTelevangelism, and only with the intention of making babies. Anyone who believes that has probably not read any major biblical text, nor ever meditated on anything spiritual, at least not with anything approaching understanding.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by Perelandra

That's not how I interpreted Solomon's Song. To me, it seemed more like the woman was constantly rejecting poor ole Solomon, and he got to the point of being obsessed with her.

Yeah. A woman rejecting the richest, wisest king on the face of the Earth. Was she a blind lesbian perhaps?

edit on 7-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

I agree. Sex was meant to bond a husband and wife together in a transcendent experience. To have sex in any other context cheapens it and degrades the people involved.

Why is it not considered that our various "religious" rules are not ignorance or mean-ness but instead the result of millenia of human experience? Surely societies in the distant past experimented with promiscuity or early sexuality- after all, humans are pretty consistent in their desires across all times and cultures. Maybe the prohibitions are wisdom attempting to prevent the pain of illicit sex from future generations.

The dangers of this behavior are real: disease, loss of fertility, emotional pain from feeling used, lack of trust, rejection of women for being promiscuous, children raised by single parents with all the misery that entails. The worst part may be losing that perfect trust and sacredness between two individuals who have been only with each other. I have no doubt our ancestors enjoyed a much deeper and more fulfilling sexual experience than we will ever know.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I think the real reason for this subjugation of the natural is just that. Subjugation. If you can sit a person down and convince them that something as natural and necessary as sex is just flat-out wrong and immoral, then you truly have control over a persons mind. Once you've been convinced that something as detrimental as sex is wrong, you're lost. And your mind will be forever locked behind metaphorical bars. That's my 2 cents.
edit on 7-6-2012 by kaiode1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I can really only speak for Christianity but I am sure that many other religions are the same. There is nothing in Christianity that teaches sex is bad. I don't know where you could have got that idea from.

From a Christian point of view: God wanted people to have lots of sex so they could have lots of babies. God made sex feel so good because God wanted the Earth to be populated. God doesn't want two men having sex with each other because two men can't produce babies, same goes for two women. God doesn't want people having sex before marriage because the woman can get pregnant, the man can ditch her and then she is left to raise a child on her own, back in the old days, that would have been a real struggle.

Basically, God loves people. God wants lots of people to walk along side him. The more the merrier. God gave us a very enjoyable way to create more people, to join God. God wants us to use it.

Sex is a gift from God and it is a powerful gift, it just needs to be used wisely. Sex isn't bad at all, it is a wonderful thing. Lust is considered bad though. Lust takes a beautiful, meaningful gift from God and turns it into something meaningless.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Though I am a celibate I agree with you. 100%.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Religion uses human sexual desire as a tool for social control. By raising children up with a guilt about their natural desire, allows a perfect tool for social manipulation. As long as you desire sex you are a sinner, and as a sinner you need gods, or more accurately the churches forgiveness. This puts each individual in a position of submission to the religious institution. Almost all of us will desire sex of some kind throughout our lives, it is a part of who we are as a species.

By convincing us that sex is bad, the church sets it's self up as the only salvation from our natural instinct, thus making the institution as nessicary for survival as sex it's self.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

celibacy is not in christianity... true christianity not that roman catholic bs that is pawned off as it does not approve.

The church since it was hijacked by Rome has used fear and damnation to hell to manipulate people but too many people are too dense to see this so they just say "RELIGION BAD RELIGION CONTROL RELIGION EVIL NOT MISUSED IT BAD RAWR"

Bible never says not to have sex, it actually says to fill the earth... so to fill earth you need to have sex... hmm

It does however preach about promiscious sex and other things.. which in reality it makes sense since there are stds and unplanned pregnancies... also when you just have sex to have sex many times one person ends up wanting more than sex and having to go through the whole emotional deal that comes along with it.. you usually end up having a hard time focusing on other aspects of your life because of the emotional drain. if you do not have an emotional drain then you must have problems if causing pain on another person at such a deep level does not affect you at all. .

I have verified all of this and finally understand. sex with friends eventually ruins friendships even if it is never said out loud I used to think as you but i grew up. i found a woman I devote myself too completely and love and enjoy sex. After it was all said and done I would much rather had kept myself till i found the right one instead of being a butterfly.

so yeah bro not sure wtf you are talking about.

Not too sure what you are talking about either, except maybe the last paragraph. That has nothing to do with the earlier statements. I grant though, that the first statement is partially correct, but is not unique to Roman Catholic, nor is it unique in the human psyche, and since you just said celibacy which is more to being unmarried, makes me think you are attacking from the wrong angle, (if you pardon the expression)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
sex is bad cause we are not allowed to enjoy anything. yay religion

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Any time you have sexual intercourse you have the chance of producing a baby.

I was the product of a affair.

End result, I never got to know my father, nor given his last name (my family heritage) or his family, my paternal - 50% of my DNA.

My mother like wise was adopted because evidently in 1910 my maternal grandmother did not marry and then had a child (my mother) who was adopted out to a wealthy family.

Heritage.............most of you know your grandmothers and grandfathers, aunts, uncles, etc.....I envy you, truly envy you.

My family evidently has never done anything the acceptable, "normal" way.

All sexual intercourse could result in the bringing forth of a human who is deserving of being wanted, loved, cherished and allowed to know their heritage.

Casual sex can result in STD and pregnancy.

Why don't people get to know each other first?

What ever happened to courting?

To talking to each other and finding out about each other?

Aren't humans suppose to be smarter than other animals, more deeper??????

Sex for fun - I personally never just gave myself to someone I didn't know and love.

No, I did not go to my wedding bed a virgin.

Religions say sex is bad outside of marriage because they possibly try to drive home the fact that getting to know someone, their feelings on important issues, their morality, their inner workings as it were are important.

My husband of 38 years is my very best friend. We know each other inside and out and to tell you the truth - I couldn't go back to casual sex for the thrill of a ten second orgasm ever again.

On our first date my husband of 38 almost 39 years talked for 6 hours about our dreams, hopes, wants, needs, what we wanted out of life.

There is nothing like having sex with someone you really know, you really trust, your most best friend.

I pray each night I go before him because without him - I would be 1/2 a person. He is my everything. Stuck with me through thick and thin.

Religion does not paint sex outside of marriage bad in so much as I think getting to know the person first.

Sex is not a sport or a pleasure to be taken lightly.................it leaves a mark upon your soul.

Two merge as one.

The only other experience more holy is that of carrying a baby for 9+ months.

This is my own experience, my own view point such as it is from a old lady.

Family is family.............it is your DNA, Your bloodline and TPTB know that to break the ties that bind, particularly family ties is the final conquering of a people.
edit on 7-6-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

She was his concubine. She was required to have sex with him. But the problem was she got tired of being a sex slave.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join