Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why do most Religions say that sex is bad?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
You're lying. Preachers don't teach that because the Bible teaches the complete opposite. Just admit you're trolling.

ROFL, you'd be surprised what some preachers say. and im not sure it says the complete opposite. i mean i used to be an obsessed Christian. came to the conclusion that calvinism is the only way to truly interpret the bible and be consistent and non contradictory. then i realized that didn't make any sense, thus the bible doesn't make any sense. now back to good ole intuitive knowledge. i mean who needs a book to tell them how to live? apparently only man[. granted i heard the sex thing from a catholic priest and im sure you don't like them much. i mean who really likes their parents? LOL
edit on 7-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by albertabound

Religions use the anti-sex thing as a control mechanism. Almost everybody is doing it, so 99.9% of the population can be sent on a guild trip

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Reasons. The laws were created to contain some things that elites figured it was necessary to control. Rape for one thing. You wouldn't want your wife raped. You also wouldn't want somebody else fathering children with your wife. Children have to be protected from adults and from each other too. The other thing, like anything else is that sex has to to do with stuff connected to pleasure. Some people would be too busy having sex to ever work, they figured. They might be doing it all the time. Laws are a container. Usually created by men ofcourse, and that's why women traditionally received the short end of the stick, and men, most of the rights. That has changed somewhat since women over here have received the right to vote.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Catholic priests do not teach Calvinism. Pastors and teachers from reformed theological backgrounds teach Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism. And yes, the Bible DOES teach the complete opposite. An entire book of the Bible is dedicated to the joy of sex (song of Solomon) and common sense says the same thing about God's creation. If He created sex only for procreation there would be no reason to give women the ability to have an orgasm. Paul in the NT says a husband and wife should only stop having sex for a very short time only for the purpose of fasting and prayer then return to the bed to prevent being tempted by the enemy. Nothing in the Bible teaches sex is only for procreation. Sorry you were once an obsessed Christian, a plain reading of a few verses destroys every point of Calvinism, likewise John Calvin didnt invent Calvinism, 2nd generation Calvinists did in response to Arminianists.
edit on 7-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Sex is magic. Its only the western mindset that tries to make you belive its bad. Without it, we cease to be as a speices. We need it. But there is a deeper mystery to sex that frightens the church. Heres the riddle to the mystery: You don't have to search for the fountain of youth, It is all around you. Where is it? Who thinks they know the answer?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I totally agree. I also agree on the slut thing, I don't abide by the double standard of: looking down on a girl for having sex, yet high-fiving all the bros for getting laid.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It always makes me laugh when I read the hypocrisy that is religious talk about sex, especially the vision re homosexuals, all these religions go on about these poor folk as being blasphemy blah blah blah and then what do you find.

Yes, Priests Imams etc etc who can't keep their hands off young boys and each other..

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Its not necessarily sex is bad but when you have an organism you release a lot of very powerful energy. When you and someone are having sex you are exchanging and combining your energies. This is not bad but if you have sex with multiple people or masturbate frequently you misuse this energy / combine it with people that dont match or benefit you in anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sex is the most serious threat to "organized" religion.

Why?

Because it challenges two of the most fundamental doctrines of organized religion and by doing so challenges the authority of the organizers of religion.

1. Sex challenges the notion that God created man. God may have done it once and then another time with a quick follow up, but after that man took over what really doesn't seem like such a difficult task after all.

Yes Orville and Wilbur Wright invented the first airplane but nobody gives a flying fadoo about them now. Git me?

2. Sex challenges the notion that Heaven is the best thing that can happen to someone. Given a choice between Heaven and any number of cutie pies I can think of, I would opt for the cutie every time.

Props to the Muslims for working sex into the Heavenly equation. They were certainly alert to the issue here.

Edit: There seems to be an issue with the codes, Mods. I can't bold and italicise.
edit on 7-6-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

If everyone thought this way we'd all be having alot more sex

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The answer to your question......... I think because Religeon/churches cant observe it and regulate your ever desire or asperation in life as they try to do with everything else they watch you do. They can't Control it............

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
And as purely a comment..... Sex or the taboos placed on it by religion has screwed up more peoples minds than about anything in the human condition..... a shame really.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
I don't think that religions say that sex is bad, its lust that is bad. Lust takes away from the whole experience. Having sex with someone you love is one of the greatest gifts God has given to us. It was meant to be enjoyed as well as for procreation. apparently, you have never read the Song of Songs in the old testament...

[www.biblegateway.com...
edit on 6-6-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

Someone please explain to me how sex can be enjoyed without lust!?

All of you Christians keep saying basically the same thing. Sex isn't bad, but lust is. But how can sex be enjoyed without lust?

Spare me the whole "it's making love not lust" thing. You can love someone, but you still have to have lust to be turned on physically.

The reality is pretty simple. You can either have lust and enjoy sex or not have lust and not enjoy it. And if you are a man, more than likely, it won't even physically happen without lust.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Originally posted by albertabound
This really confuses me. Sex is not a "desire", it is a necessary biological function.

Don't make the freshman's mistake of confusing your own culture with biology.

There exists a people of the Amazon who employ shamans to protect their communities. They believe that one of the requirements for becoming a shaman is to abstain from orgasm for a year. More progress is made, until the candidate develops what Westerners would call "psychic powers."

Interestingly, the possessors of strange powers in Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism were all known for practicing abstinence. The folks who could miraculously heal others, or know what is taking place at a great distance, or even seem to levitate off the ground while in a state of ecstacy---all of them practiced sexual self-denial.

What could that possibly mean?
I cannot tell you how happy i am after reading your post.
We are easily manipulated by our mana and that's why you read opinions like of OP.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by albertabound
Sex is not a "desire", it is a necessary biological function.

I stopped reading there. I won't even bother reading the rest of your post as your logic is fundamentally flawed.

P.s. I'm an atheist, so if you want to insult me, you had better come up with something better than "religious nutjob" or "redneck bible thumper".

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

I'm not sure where you're getting any of what you said. I never argued in favor of teens being promiscuous, merely that it makes no sense for a sexless genderless God to impose arbitrary sexual rules on his creations.

In actuality it's the far-right Christian fundamentalists who seem content to let teens contract all sorts of diseases, since instead of teaching safe sex they prefer abstinence only, which does a whole lot of nothing other than promote higher teen pregnancy and STD rates. Obviously we should be teaching children to be responsible, but telling them the wrong acts will get them burnt for eternity (I was taught that even sexual thoughts put me in danger of Hell or being "left behind" in the rapture, needless to say that made for a very conflicted adolescence) is pretty damn monstrous.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

First off, not judging others is in no way a fundamental aspect of any religion. The bible says many times "judge others, but not yourself", or something along those lines (old and new testament). Even when Jesus said "judge not, lest ye be judged" he went on to explain that it's okay to judge others, but beware HOW you judge them, because you will be judged in the same manner before the LORD. So if you judge harshly, you in turn will be judged harshly.

Enough of that. The bible was written by mortal men. I have no doubt in my mind that it was not divinely inspired, not even a little. I think that some of the books were written by men who THOUGHT they were being divinely inspired (Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel are three examples of books written by very sincere men), but the majority of the bible is just tales of old with a little mythology thrown in, or just pages and pages of commandments and punishments for breaking said commandments (looking at you, Leviticus). The bible comes from a time and culture where the oppression of women was a common part of daily life. Women are scarcely mentioned in the bible, but when they are it's usually judgmental toward them. The bible says a lot about not screwing another man's wife, but in the old testament, little is written about screwing a single lady (put yo hands up).

Even in the New Testament, Paul acknowledges the sexual desires of man. He says, "If you cannot restrain yourself, marry. It is better to marry than to burn," or something like that. However, he suggests if you are not married, do not seek a wife. I think he was a bit touched in the head and made up a lot of his own rules on the whim. The book of Acts says many, many times how Paul went to and fro debating with other disciples. Their constant debates were just them interpreting whatever Jesus said + old testament writings however they wanted. Kinda like religious people today.

Bottom line, the bible does not say sex is bad. It says sexual immorality is bad, which includes adultery, homosexuality and fornication. I, however, think all sex is good as long as all parties involved consent. The steamy energy and emotion at an orgy is unmatched in any other activity.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I dont believe the majority of religions teach that ALL sex is "bad"........ mainly women's sexuality.

Lot can impregnate both of his daughters, and all is well -- but if a woman be a "whore"/"harlot" (which she could be labeled if she even glanced at another man), then she can rightfully be cast out..

The "virgin" Mary is held highest of all women, yet Jezebel and Mary Magdeline are considered very shameful companions.

That isnt such a fair stance, is it?
edit on 7-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
I'm not "religious" in the mainstream sense but I think there are good reasons to hold oneself to certain limitations. For one, there's a bond created in a sexual relationship that if broken will hurt a lot more. Two, there are health risks associated with being promiscuous. Three, sex is something special to share with a partner and knowing they've slutted themselves out to dozens of people before cheapens the experience. I'm not saying people shouldn't have the right to do as they please, but I also have the right to reject someone on the grounds that I please. It's a girl's right to be as promiscuous as she wants, and it's my right to reject someone as a potential romantic partner on those grounds.
edit on 6-6-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

I agree with you. The problem in this case is that people want everybody else to think their choices are the right ones and cannot allow people to have different views. The best thing is if the promiscuous ones have their fun with the promiscuous and the ones who value sex higher have their fun with themselves. The problem is that the promiscuous ones often try to get in the pants of the that value sex higher and lie about their behaviour because they have no self control. Make your choice and stick with it. Why should always the nonpromiscuous ones be ok with having a partner that have been very promiscuous and be judged because they do not think that is ok?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

celibacy is not in christianity... true christianity not that roman catholic bs that is pawned off as it does not approve.

The church since it was hijacked by Rome has used fear and damnation to hell to manipulate people but too many people are too dense to see this so they just say "RELIGION BAD RELIGION CONTROL RELIGION EVIL NOT MISUSED IT BAD RAWR"

Bible never says not to have sex, it actually says to fill the earth... so to fill earth you need to have sex... hmm

It does however preach about promiscious sex and other things.. which in reality it makes sense since there are stds and unplanned pregnancies... also when you just have sex to have sex many times one person ends up wanting more than sex and having to go through the whole emotional deal that comes along with it.. you usually end up having a hard time focusing on other aspects of your life because of the emotional drain. if you do not have an emotional drain then you must have problems if causing pain on another person at such a deep level does not affect you at all. .

I have verified all of this and finally understand. sex with friends eventually ruins friendships even if it is never said out loud I used to think as you but i grew up. i found a woman I devote myself too completely and love and enjoy sex. After it was all said and done I would much rather had kept myself till i found the right one instead of being a butterfly.

so yeah bro not sure wtf you are talking about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join