It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BATTLE ISLAND

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Early in 2003, as the buildup for a war with Iraq shifted into high gear, American diplomats began calling on their counterparts in the Middle East and southern Europe. They asked a simple favor: permission to use local bases for attacks on Iraqi weapons factories and military installations. As the classified cables reporting on the lack of progress in working out agreements flowed back to the State Department, it slowly became evident that America had fewer friends than once thought. It became equally apparent that if the United States wanted sure footing for future battles against terrorism, it would have to look beyond diplomatic arrangements. And so, almost overnight, an idea that had hovered in the shadows since the mid-1990s began to make sense. If American forces could not count on friends, they would have to rely upon technology in the form of a new type of naval vessel, a mobile offshore base.

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST

AF1

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I think that's one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. Is it just one giant supership or does it move in pieces?

I'm looking forward to when we see Airbases like that.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hey great find there

Here are more links I found about this program.
What an awesome project!

www.bwxt.com...
www.globalsecurity.org...
www.fas.org...

Indications are that a single module would cost on the order of $1.5B, with a full MOB platform (2-kilometer length) costing between $5B and $8B.

Pretty expensive...

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I never read this article but I thought about it a lot. First off I wonder if it really floats or if it is just anchored. If it floats then how does it maintain the waves??? Those are technical questions that can be answered by the 'technos'. I am not a 'techno', I am an 'ehtno' I enjoy the ethical frame of mind.

It isn't really neccasary to have this over-whelming mobilizational force. We need better operational methods not military counter-strategies. This base for Military personnel is nothing other than a way at striking at the enemy. Yet the enemy of today is not a centralized enemy like it supposedly was in the Cold War.

Their is no Red Scare anymore, even though some here thinks there should. Yet we do have a Radical Scare going on in today's world, but radicals are among all people. Radicals are people in the family, and the radical knows no border or boundries. So the radical is in every home and in everyway. The radical is everything from you propagandist, to your preacher, to your sexual deviant, to your drug addict. Radicals are just un-balenced people. Yet not many these days can be considered balenced, or what is often called normal. For what is normal??????? Is normal conformity??? Or rebellion??? Well it is neither. For what is normal is opinion, and opinion cannot say what is normal. Normal cannot be distinquished because normal is only a matter of perception.

So we are chasing radicals in this 'war on terrorism' that live in every home. Radicals will be born and continue to birth. For opinion is, and always will be. So the 'war on terrorism' is really another name for the war on ideas. In the long run the mind of men will be no longer free due to freedom of expression. This is the purpose of the 'war on terror' it is meant to slowly take away the freedoms we enjoy. The war on terrorism was started by the very people who fight the war. For all war is the work of NWO Plotters. All NWO Plotters want to split the nations so they can be tightly controlled. The 'war on terrorism' is the vulger and overt attempt among the Plotters to take away those freedoms. The Agents of the New World Order have many plans for us. Many plans are too vast to understand by people who don't think eternally. It is those who think eternal who can see.

You See???????

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
i think this is really cool. a bunch of large peices capable of small scale combat moving together to form a huge fortress.

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Seems to me that it would prove to be a very large, impossible to conceal, impossible to miss target that would just be begging for the enemy to take a crack at it.

I realize that there would be an enormous amount of military hardware associated with this that would serve to defend it, however, consider that an average supercarrier is staffed with upwards of 7000 crew, this thing would take hundreds of thousands, and potentially millions of crew and troops. A very tempting target indeed for a tactical nuke... and I can think of ways to get one past whatever defences it might have.

So, even in the unlikely possibility that a weapon would get past the defences of this thing, if one did penetrate, the losses and casualties could be horrific...

There is much to be said for not putting all your eggs in one basket...

posted on May, 5 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Very good point dragonrider

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 01:26 AM
link   
You do make a good point, But sooner or later somebody is going to make a city that is at sea. I don't know if it can move, but it should be interesting

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Seems to me that it would prove to be a very large, impossible to conceal, impossible to miss target that would just be begging for the enemy to take a crack at it.

I realize that there would be an enormous amount of military hardware associated with this that would serve to defend it, however, consider that an average supercarrier is staffed with upwards of 7000 crew, this thing would take hundreds of thousands, and potentially millions of crew and troops. A very tempting target indeed for a tactical nuke... and I can think of ways to get one past whatever defences it might have.

So, even in the unlikely possibility that a weapon would get past the defences of this thing, if one did penetrate, the losses and casualties could be horrific...

There is much to be said for not putting all your eggs in one basket...

All valid poinst dragon.

However, if this went ahead it would take years of research and development. In that time surely a leakproof missile defence would have been perfected. Just look at the research today.

If and when they have a missile defence ( missile or laser or even particle beam based) it would be feasable.
But then again it would divert a massive amount of resources to construct it.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   
good points mad scientist and dragonrider. The cost would be enourmous. and It could very well take millions of crew members. Thats a lot to lose if something did get past the defence.

and mad scientist, for every defence there is a way around it.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
seems to me that it would be rather easy to get past that thing's defenses while it's moving, the same way you could get past a carriers

a diesel submarine figures out the course of the thing, puts itself in the middle of it, shuts down, when it's close enough fires some tactical nukes (either missile or torpedo) and it's gone

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
seems to me that it would be rather easy to get past that thing's defenses while it's moving, the same way you could get past a carriers

a diesel submarine figures out the course of the thing, puts itself in the middle of it, shuts down, when it's close enough fires some tactical nukes (either missile or torpedo) and it's gone

Well if that happens it's nuclear war and losing the Battle Island would be the least of their problems.

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Especially as it doesn't solve one simple, but everpresent problem...

What if the target is land-locked? You'd still be limited to artillery and armor airlifted, so what's the point?

It's mission profile could just as easily be filled by carriers and battle groups, as well as airdrops...(especially once the Raptors are in full production) and as DR said, you wouldn't have all your eggs in one basket. Nice idea on paper...but will likely stay a concept...

[Edited on 6-5-2003 by Gazrok]

[Edited on 6-5-2003 by Gazrok]

new topics

top topics

join