It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death for singing? Pakistan search for condemned wedding women [Updated]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Death for singing? Pakistan search for condemned wedding women

www.bbc.co.uk

Pakistan's Supreme Court has sent a fact-finding mission to a remote northern area to establish if four women have been killed, following reports that they had been sentenced to death by a local tribal council or Jirga.

It has been reported that the women, along with two men, were condemned when video footage showed them singing and dancing at a wedding.

Local officials told the court they had been unable to contact the women, despite several attempts, as the BBC's Orla Guerin reports. (video)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Read Update Here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Thu Jun 7 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Vile. Outrageous. Despicable.

Is there no limit to how twisted human beings can be? Gentle, subdued singing to rejoice at a wedding leads others to judge the participants worthy of death.

The men escaped. The women, who were presumably just more vulnerable to attack, had their throats slit.

Let's see what the Pakistani legal system says the perpetrators deserve...

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yeah, if they start letting them sing and dance...
the next thing you know, they will want to take their burkas off,
there will be cats and dogs living together.
IOW, the downfall of Muslim sharia law could occur.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The fact is, most people from the Western world have and always will be disgusted by the ways of the people of the Middle-East. We're just too far apart, both ideologically and theologically. We need to focus on the issues of the US homeland, and quit trying to save everyone from themselves. The US was not founded on the principals of global interventionism and hegemony. In fact, you you take a few minutes to read what the Founding Fathers actually say about foreign policy and the perils of militaristic interventionism, you'll find that they specifically warn against it and espouse the philosophy, "trade with all, alliance with none".

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

This behavior is despicable and has nothing to do with America. Thanks anyway.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Wow, this Religious/Political system is sooo very Peaceful. /sarcasm.

The Western countries will never live up to these standards.

I hope justice will come for those who were the victims, though too late for them.
edit on 6-6-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm still trying to come to terms with what I've just seen. I have to say one thing that struck me was the dignity of the girls' brother at the press conference. Clearly coming from that remote village background does not mean people necessarily think and act in barbaric ways.

It will be very revealing to see how both the Pakistani courts, people and government react. It will say a lot about the whole society.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just another completely sickening example of the collective insanity that is the Muslim "faith", and its draconian Sharia Law.

Four fully clothed young women sitting down, clapping their hands and softly singing a song...while a young man does a little dance by himself - is fornication? And the penalty for this is death?

It is completely beyond me why any woman would ever want to subscribe to this religion. In places like Pakistan they may not have much option...but any American or Canadian (or any other nation where there is freedom of worship) woman who remains in - let alone joins - this wing nut religion must herself have rocks in the head.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It gets worse:

The Supreme Court of Pakistan has taken suo motu notice of a death decree in Kohistan, allegedly issued by a tribal Jirga (committee) of elders ordering the execution of four women on charge of "singing and dancing with men" at a wedding party recently.

The severe punishment came even as the heavily clothed four women, with only their faces showing, were merely seen in footage clapping and singing. However, the upset villagers allegedly killed them at the behest of the Jirga.

According to the brother of an "accused" -- Mohammad Afzal, who filmed the video and than uploaded it on the net -- the incident took place on May 30 following a wedding party.

The commissioner of the area, Hazara Khalid Umarzai, and provincial minister for social welfare Sitara Ayaz, however, denied the killings. They claimed that the women were alive and safe in their homes.

According to Afzal, the women were kept in captivity and tortured by pouring boiling water on their bodies before being executed. The Jirga had also ordered the killing of Afzal and his brother along with the four, but the duo reportedly fled the village.

Source (India Today)

This is how they treat their own people, from their own village.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Don't let the story fool you.
The guy may have escaped, but even if caught, he would have gotten a slap on the wrist.

Guys can rape teenaged girls, the guys get a slap on the wrist, the girls get executed for fornicating.

It is a effed up system, that Sharia law. Separation of church and state is not a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

if true add that to the growing list of sufi musicians taken out at the orders of various leaders of interpretation.
fubar imo
f.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
reply to post by draco49

I agree, this type of behavior is despicable. However, it is not the job of the United States to be the global police and enforcer of behavior by citizens of another country within that country. The attitude that we're somehow "better" than everyone else and have the obligation of showing the rest of the nations of this world that "we know best" is in direct conflict with the tenets of our government. So yes, it DOES have to do with American foreign policy. Again, all you have to do is read the Constitution and writings of the Founders of our great nation; it's spelled out in black & white. Trade will all; Alliance with none.
edit on 6/6/2012 by draco49 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I really don`t understand why the video was taken and posted on the internet to begin with if this singing and dancing is so bad with such punishment.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by jjkenobi
reply to post by draco49

I agree, this type of behavior is despicable. However, it is not the job of the United States to be the global police and enforcer of behavior by citizens of another country within that country. The attitude that we're somehow "better" than everyone else and have the obligation of showing the rest of the nations of this world that "we know best" is in direct conflict with the tenets of our government. So yes, it DOES have to do with American foreign policy. Again, all you have to do is read the Constitution and writings of the Founders of our great nation; it's spelled out in black & white. Trade will all; Alliance with none.
edit on 6/6/2012 by draco49 because: (no reason given)

What exactly does U.S. Foreign Policy have to do with this story, or this thread?

Commentary is being made on something that happened in Pakistan. Are you suggesting we, as people, should just turn a blind eye to something like this...that we shouldn't observe or comment on anything that happens outside of our own home Countries?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
Let's see what the Pakistani legal system says ......

The pakistani legal system is a joke...

The doctor who ratted out bin laden was not tried in a normal court, but by the local tribal court. The debate has been revolving around the authoirty of the actual pakistani court system and if they can over rule tribal rulings.

All the more reason to cut funding to that backwards country until they decide to join the 21st century instead of embracing the 9th.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
And women complain about American men. How about all these feminist go to Pakistan and actually do something for their "sisters".

Its easy to complain and complain , gimme gimme gimme , and then ... you have Islam. That simply kills you. So ... does America need more help .. or Islamic nations? .

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
What exactly does U.S. Foreign Policy have to do with this story, or this thread?

Commentary is being made on something that happened in Pakistan. Are you suggesting we, as people, should just turn a blind eye to something like this...that we shouldn't observe or comment on anything that happens outside of our own home Countries?

There's nothing wrong with people expressing outrage and disgust with this. But the ensuing commentary is indicative of a disturbing increase in the idea that, as Americans, we're somehow obligated to swoop in and save these people. That's the point I was making and if you don't like it, just ignore me and move on. We're all entitled to our opinions.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well, had the singing been Rap and the dancing been Break Dancing, I could Almost see it being justified.

Almost.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I've got a brilliant idea.
Lets invite all the people from these cultures to our country, to "enhance diversity".
And anyone who disagrees, we'll just label them as "racist" and have them sacked from their jobs.
Surely that will make our country better.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You might have something there. Pretty much the same thing's happened to me--except I didn't even have to leave my own country! My region became overloaded with foreigners (Koreans) and I was the odd man out. Don't speak Korean? Don't eat rice and raw fish? OUT!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join