It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your News source: Spins, Slants or STRAIGHT OUT LIES!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maurice2014

You might like this one... (I truly apologize for throwing all these links in here - don't star or flag them if you think that's what I'm after... I just think this is a great discussion and a lot of groundwork has already been laid to this end...)

So who owns our media sources? - An unanswered ATS LIVE! UK/Euro question

The data may be a bit dated... (maybe not) but it is demonstrative of the point our esteemed Op is making so well.

BY the way... add the media ownership question to this:

Study shows powerful corporations really do control the world's finances

... and we may begin to see that their "circle is unbroken"...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
So who do we trust?

Our own reasoning and hopefully objective cognitive abilities to separate facts from BS

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They have been spinning and slanting for years! Joseph Goebbels and the old Soviet state media would be proud of how propagandized Western media has become. It is really disgusting! Therefore, people need to pick and choose what is fact and what is fiction. I hope many have brushed up on their critical thinking skills?

These large media outlets and networks have been caught red-handed, but continue to engage in propagandist activities? The reporters and editors are whores to their political ideologies, corporate masters, and advertisers. It is not just RT, Al Jazeera, or PressTV engaging in deceptive journalism, but many of the major Western media outlets. They think they are above the criticism and vetting, because they operate in an environment of free press and speech? However, they ought to start being vetted like we do with the fringe media outlets.

I have seen reporters wearing their political beliefs on their sleeves, staging news reports, hard news that reads like columns, holding favor with one politician and annihilating another on the basis of bias, and other filth that would make Edward R. Murrow roll over in his grave. I am glad this thread was made, and I am as upset with modern reporting as everyone else. People deserve the news that is objective, and let the audience decide their views on the topic instead of subliminally deciding for them. In other words, give them the straight-story, and a laundry list of the facts! Here is a classic video of what the OP is implying.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Brilliant, makes me think about things that were on the peripheral of my mind all along. It would be so wonderful to find 'any' outlet that does not spin the truth at least to some extent. You are right imho.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Last one... I promise....

Another example at how what we are told... mostly via media.... is not something we should 'assume' is 'acceptably close to the truth."

Is it always 'debatable' when the medical community says "X" is bad for you?

The article topic is salt consumption (which many focused on) ....

but the OP and thread were intended to be about what we 'take for granted' because the media 'reported' something is "so" and it must be "so" because the establishment says it is "so"..... (except they themselves disagree privately, or in more closed "professional" circles)...

edit on 7-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It's funny to me how often someone needs to display the evidence of on networks wrongdoing to somehow, in a convoluted way, defend another station's lies.

So, yeah, people are dumb.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I think they are all good links and very topic related.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Remember that tired old phrase... "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it?"

John Swinton, the former Chief of Staff at the New York Times, was asked to toast the prestigious New York Press Club in 1880 (Swinton was called "The Dean of His Profession" by his fellows in the press):

" There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, as an
independent press. You know it and I know it. There is not one of you
who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know
beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for
keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with. Others
of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who
would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the
streets looking for another job.

If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper,
before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. The business of
the journalist is to destroy the truth; to lie outright; to pervert; to
vilify; to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell the country for his
daily bread. You know it and I know it and what folly is this toasting
an independent press. We are the tools and vassals of the rich men
behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and
we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the
property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes. "

You have to wonder, if this was true then... what is it now?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This is perhaps the most telling speech I have ever seen showing just how blatant and rampant the skew really is. I can only imagine that now, in the so called "Information Age" that things are a magnitude worse than they were during the 1880's.

And yet, even when the truth is evident, people turn again to the comfort of ignorance.

We really are a broken species.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

They have the "form" down pat!

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
And it's not even that the BBC is always right on, but they are more likely to be reporting news from our own country than we are.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This thread was just referenced elsewhere. It's two years old but after reading the opening post I think it would be great to bump it forward for everyone to see ... especially considering the discussion about Russia Today that is on the front page of this site. This thread has an excellent opening post.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Here's a little thread that makes the point a bit more poignant...

Turns out that it's not only about the lies... it's about the secret memberships, agendas, and proceedings....

Secret society of journalists???

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Great post, SLAYER69!

I sometimes feel like I'm going mad trying to sort out truth from fiction, so your post was a breath of fresh air - some wholesome truth at last! *LOL*

You are so right when you said:

'Meanwhile and tragically, rarely does somebody chime in about the travesty of the loss of human life'

What gets me is that lies and bias are the norm, from the littlest cajoling to politics, religion and beyond - but when these lies, propaganda and biased 'facts' cause fighting, wars, casualties, and death, is when we have to cry 'ENOUGH!'.

The people who propagate these lies are not being held accountable for their actions and this, I believe, is where we have to start! Maybe, initially, by naming and shaming them!

edit on 7/8/2014 by Maigret because: To give credit where due...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join