It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your News source: Spins, Slants or STRAIGHT OUT LIES!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No media source will ever be impartial, they will ALWAYS have an agenda...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

If I've left out your favorite News outlet don't feel bad chances are they suck too

Priceless, Simply Priceless.

One of the reasons I pay less and less attention to the news.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Who said Presstv is a credible news source.?

The news lies!
edit on 6-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

My favourite is when people give The Daily Mail as a source. : )

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
reply to post by neo96

My favourite is when people give The Daily Mail as a source. : )

Its almost getting to the point where if you're not an eye-witness, it cant be trusted....

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This image is quite relevant, it nicely illustrates US media ownership. It's well worth a look - click the link! : )

US Media Consolidation

Mods (or anyone that knows! I've hunted around for an answer)...

The guy that produced it is happy for it be shared and embedded on other sites... link. I'm not sure how to force vertical scroll bars on the it tho so I've just posted a link to ATS media - it's really big image. Any ideas?

edit on 6/6/12 by eightfold because: Added question for mods...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold

Originally posted by satron
A lot of news outlets put a slant on news stories, but what I think is worse is that a lot of important stories don't get aired at all.

That's institutional bias at work! I spent a very brief period (two weeks!) working for a local BBC radio station and I saw it happen - I presented stories aplenty for us to cover but there's a chain of command and 'no' means 'no.' My dreams of newsnight and pre-formed (biased as a result of films and media?) fantasy view of being a hard hitting journalist were quickly squashed.

News slants are inevitable, stories won't be covered as much as they should be because of time constraints.

A lot of stories get covered online before they make it to television. Actually, a lot of stories that you hear about on the internet don't make it to TV, and so the story is basically contained.

A lot of politicians don't get their news from the internet; a lot don't even know how to do it or even how to use a computer, they have interns do it for them!

Remember Anthony Weiner?

This is just the tip of the iceberg!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So who do we trust? Our own video cameras and photos that we members upload..? Works for me i guess...gotta put that Press Flak Jacket on...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Excellent thread. I'm often boggled at the confusing slants and reports which only really serve to make it impossible to know the truth - seriously - digging through all the sides of each story from each outlet, trying to make sense of it. It makes Democracy a heck of a lot harder. We can only cast a real vote, or even take a considered side in an issue, when we have "the objective truth" to base our choices on in any argument or political contest. But so often, imo, we simply don't. Ah, the scent of smoke and the reflective light of mirrors pours out from the evening "news."

I am also a macro-to-micro thinker - things have to add up for me in the big picture and in the details with the resources and experience that I have. Doesn't mean I always get it right - just means I work hard at it. I gave up helplessly in High School (a looonnnngggg time ago) trying to make "the truth" spring forth from obfuscation and posturing. (Then it got into "well that's MY truth and its just as valid as YOUR truth..." Discernment anyone? Help!) My attempts since then have not really been too much more successful, with some exceptions. It doesn't help that I'm actually trying to listen to all sides of an issue either - my head is spinning most of the time!! (quite a trick, but its not very attractive - it tends to scare people away...lol!)

So now I get most of my news from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. *sigh* I guess my "news flavor" is "comedy."

peace,
AB

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
What do you guys think when you hear Hillary Clinton say America is in an "information war and we are losing the war,"? Personally, I get angry. The truth speaks for itself, but that isn't what it takes to win this war. Of course, it takes money to run a winning propaganda machine. To me she should have just said propaganda war because that is what they want to win.

Don't expect me to have any sympathy that our lies aren't being believed, Madame Secretary. In fact, I think you reap what you sow, and we deserve what we get

Our values are so out of whack. How can you feel anything but shame when our SOS talks this way? If the government had a clean nose they wouldn't need to make excuses for their failings. Whether she realized or not, she told the world that we are a power hungry country that needs to control world opinion. You can't get anymore control freak than that.

Talk like that speaks volumes about our credibility. If any foreigners had any faith in our leaders, they have no reason to now. Ours own SOS shot us in the heart. Why worry about information wars now, you just told everybody we are in the propaganda business?

www.dailypaul.com...

edit on 6/6/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add something

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I stopped watching the News as of today! I think they are all full of Crap!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Media lies are the most important thing to guard against. Media slant is taken for granted. No media outlet of any significance is going to, day in and day out, slag the government of the country in which it is headquartered.

But generally speaking, no government deserves to be slagged day in and day out. If it does, it is likely the sort of tyrannical regime that would make short work of the slagging media owner anyway.

The more media of all sorts, the better. Media lies can be countered by other media.

For some time now the major Canadian media outlets have been pushing the American agenda in the Middle East, the anti-Assad agenda with uncritical reporting of government "massacres" of civilians etc. During the Libyan intervention by NATO they did the same thing, slamming the Gaddafi forces. Fortunately there are other sources of info. Unfortunately, not everyone is exposed to them.

For most voters in the West, for better or worse, the mainstream media rules. Maybe we here on ATS can change that by helping to spread a more balanced appreciation of world events.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
The more media of all sorts, the better. Media lies can be countered by other media.

So true ipsedixit! Awesome comment!
That is what makes the members so valuable.

Originally posted by burntheships

Every mainstream news outlet runs irrelevant crap all day and night.
They smear, fear monger and outright lie.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-6-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Wow I step away from the keyboard and the thread takes off. Great information and perspective everyone. I'm glad many feel as I do

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Oh god why would anyone watch the news anymore? people should just boycott the news so that all the major outlets die out and we can start some non-corrupt ones to put in their place.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Swamper

Well luckily they can lie to us all they want, here at ATS we can all discuss the truth to our hearts content.

That's all well and good except that I think people either fail to realize or forget that the majority of content posted here is from the dreaded MSM. That's where most of the info is coming from. Sure we slant it differently, but I am growing weary of people acting as if ATS is some perfectly unbiased and balanced place (not intended at you).

I really couldn't agree more with your response on this. ATS is like any other forum, it allows people to debate their idea of 'the truth' with people who may have a different opinion of 'the truth' even though both parties are dealing with the same facts. What I do find ironic is that many on this site will blast what we term the MSM but will then take infowars at face value.....

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Probably too late to the thread for anyone to notice this.... but here is a solid example of how media uses it's politically expedient, or commercially savvy mentality to spew something at you that most will call "news"... (of course helped along by majestic music, and cool video sequences that make it appear official and "professional" and "trustworthy:")

Because the purpose of "News" media is to convince you....

And here's a little piece about the mentality that spawns this 'commercially' useful approach to "news'

News narratives can heighten compassion, increase willingness to act

I think they compliment the OP nicely.

edit on 7-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

There is no independent Press, and there is no objective Mass Media. The Mainstream (Corporate) Media are controlled by the same Elite of people that are exposed on this web site. They are the ones who decide what will be printed in the press, and what will be announced in the News. This means that our reality is severely distorted by lies, half truths and propaganda that these people feed us with on a daily basis. What is written in the papers and announced on CNN will be the norm, but is not what is really happening. When the heads of the media also attend the same meetings as the Elite businessmen (Bilderberg, Trilateral Commission and Council of Foreign Relations) and nothing that is discussed on these meetings can be revealed outside those doors, we understand that the media is not there for us, but for them. The British author David Icke explains it perfectly:

"... And the Illuminati control the newspapers through subordinates like the "owner" of the "Washington Post", Katherine Graham (Bil, TC, CFR) and the Canadian, Conrad Black, an inner-core member of the Bilderberg Group, who heads the Hollinger media empire. This includes the London "Daily Telegraph", the "Jerusalem Post", and has owned some 70% of newspapers in Canada. Members of these organisations control all three television networks in the United States, NBC, ABC, and CBS. They also control the "Los Angeles Times", "New York Times", "Wall Street Journal", and the empires of Rupert Murdoch, "Time Warner", including "CNN", and the major media operations throughout the world. Even four out of five local newspapers in the UK are now owned by the big media cartels."
So, if the heads of the World Newspapers are sitting in together with the Elite businessmen of this world, discussing and agreeing upon future events and plans, it is absolutely obvious, and not a trace of a doubt that there is no free press for the mainstream population.

Who Owns the U.S. Media? - The control of the opinion-molding media is nearly monolithic. All of the controlled media — television, radio, newspapers, magazines, books, motion pictures speak with a single voice, each reinforcing the other. Despite the appearance of variety, there is no real dissent, no alternative source of facts or ideas accessible to the great mass of people which might allow them to form opinions at odds with those of the media masters. -

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Spot on MAX. Thanks for the links and contribution.
Now we're cooking with fire...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not
Even
Worth
Stating
edit on 7-6-2012 by ConspiracyBuff because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join