It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China tells US Embassy to stop reporting Beijing pollution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

China tells US Embassy to stop reporting Beijing pollution

worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

BEIJING - A senior Chinese official demanded on Tuesday that foreign embassies stop issuing air pollution readings, saying it was against the law and diplomatic conventions, in pointed criticism of a closely watched U.S. Embassy index.

The level of air pollution in China's heaving capital varies, depending on the wind, but a cocktail of smokestack emissions, vehicle exhaust, dust and aerosols often blankets the city in a pungent, beige shroud for days on end.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 6/6/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Although the U.S. Embassy acknowledges on its website that its equipment cannot be relied upon for general monitoring, saying "citywide analysis cannot be done ... on data from a lone machine". It interesting to note how the Chinese government is reacting to this. They need to get thicker skin if you ask me.
If the Chinese government wants to be in the top dog status of the world they had better start getting use to others criticizing them on a regular bases. The US is criticized every second of every day for everything it does. So I say they need to stop whining about it every time a country criticizes them for something.

Sorry but China has a dismal pollution record and human rights record.

[url=http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/05/12061702-china-tells-us-embassy-to-stop-reporting-beijing-pollution?lite]worldnews.msnbc.msn.com[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Well said, it reminds me of all the hoopla we went through about emissions when I was a young girl and how we did make a difference but it was not without the world dramatizing our vulnerabilities. I guess china has no intention of doing things right?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

The US is criticized every second of every day for everything it does

...and still they don't give a f***

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

This is ridiculous.. Are they trying to suppress information from more than just their own people? Remember the bs before the beijing olympics with all the cleaning and how China is improving its environment?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
China has been way too "China" lately. Going after a blind dissident, blocking its citizens from looking up information on their stock market after a numerical coincidence that alluded to the date of the Tienneman Square ordeal. And now they want the US to stop talking about their contribution to global pollution. Just ridiculous. I do give China credit tho... at least they have the decency to be up-front about their fascist policies. Unlike in the US where we pretend to enjoy a life full of civil liberties and freedom, while at the same time progressing a completely Orwellian police state.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
We've been tracking this here for a while now.... this is just another resurrected topic by the MSM - why? Nothing malicious. It's just their average "news" consumers seem not to realize that the MSM hardly even tries to 'find' news anymore:

Pollution Weighs Heavily On China

Don't get me wrong... this is newsworthy... just ATS seems to be perpetually ahead of the curve.... (either that or they're getting some of their news from our aggregation....

The thread I linked above includes some alarming photographs relevant to the pollution problem there.. .but even back then the Chinese establishment seemed intent on categorizing the discussion as if they were 'threatening' to talk about it.

I hope it never comes to pass; but I wouldn't be surprised if embassy personnel stationed in China more frequently suffer respiratory maladies... if not worse.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The bottom line is that America needs to take a step back and realize that they are not some Messiah that was granted dominion over the earth. They are a country who has problems; more internal problems than many of the countries they police.

The American Government, not it's people, of coarse, need to worry less about making everyone else believe in a standardized ideology, and worry more about cleaning up the domestic mess that they created, and only they can fix. That is, if they even intend on fixing it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If it has an effect on Americans in Bejing. I would say screw you china. Dont allow American Visa's if you dont like us looking out for American's abroad.

link   

China has every right to demand that the US Embassy stop passing highly classified sensitive State secrets like that.

link   

They are pissed because it bypasses their censors and gets directly to the people. China recently condemned the US for allowing private ownership of guns, a reaction to our critique of their human rights record.

China, for the last few years now, seems to be in the mindset that they can dictate to countries how they will conduct themselves towards China while refusing the same.

If China wants to pollute their cities its their internal issue... If we want to report it thats our right.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
China is disgustingly polluted.
We've read the stories and seen the pictures. They care about industry and money first, than themselves after.
Not that any of us differentiate, it is just that we are ahead of them in those fields.
They realize what they are doing environmentally. But is it worth stop the vast industry and expansion of themselves on a worldwide scale? To them, hell no.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
China really needs to get of the US asses in regards to human rights, pollution, etc... the military issues I do understand though.

I've been to china. the pollution is horrible. there is no escape from the pollution. even in small inland cities there is heavy smog. Plus the sanitation there is non existent in most places. A single outhouse in the town square for the entire population in one village I went to. Oh yeah and the pig livestock for eating are kept in pens underneath the outhouse. And the toilet in there is a strait hole in the floor. Guess what they are feeding the pigs in that village. yup you guessed it.

In another town that's actually more prosperous I saw school kids making fun of another boy because his family was so poor that they were forced to live off of the local rats they could catch. In the same town I saw a good looking girl taking a crap in the street. right in the "entertainment" district where all the eateries were. this was normal.

What I don't get is that in regards to food. china has vast resources. a plain the size of texas perfect for cattle and grain. why is anybody starving there, billion people or not?

Thant being said. China is trying to make major headway in the research of green technology and it's applications. I suspect not so much cases they care about the environment. but because they know that for long term success and power they will want in a few decades to not be dependent on the oil and can have their own monopoly. And unique power to leverage. That's their strategy in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I know that every country has some form of pollution or another, but with China it seems it is the standard Communist way. Environmental issues and their peoples health and safety are not high on their priority list. Now to play devils advocate here, I will say that the US for example had it's share of pollution and health risks to it's people at the start of the industrial revolution. We had serious issues, but rather than ignore it we chose to tackle it and we started the EPA. China it seems chooses to ignore the problem. I suppose it is due to the for the State, by the State mentality.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

China has every right to demand that the US Embassy stop passing highly classified sensitive State secrets like that.

A US embassy is sovereign territory and have every right to protect the citizens of the United States on that US soil. If the air is potentially dangerous to those US citizens on that soil, they have every right to know.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

Originally posted by SLAYER69

A US embassy is sovereign territory and have every right to protect the citizens of the United States on that US soil. If the air is potentially dangerous to those US citizens on that soil, they have every right to know.

He was being facetious.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is how they can dump there cheap products on the rest of the world and undercut the markets putting companies in the rest of the world out of business

Plus china has too many people and this is a way to kill off the older workers and elderly.

If china had and enforced all the US pollution rules companies in the US could compete.

And this pollution not only effects china it can be measured on the US west coast and has caused the state of Calif to spend time track it because they at first believed it was coming from Calif companies until they found baned in the US chemicals and traced the pollution out to sea and across the pacific.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hell if you read my post you'd see that china doesn't just drop their cheap products on the human citizens of the world.

What about the poor pigs I discussed. I say they're getting the worst product china makes. We're lucky if all our food comes with is lead. Still feel real sorry for the pigs in that one village I visited. It's practices like that that made influenza into a disease effecting humans. before it only hurt birds. but the chinese decided to keep the duck pens next to the pig pens, because ever resourceful they are they figured why pay for food twice. feed the birds. when the birds poop give it to the pigs to eat. The virus mutated into something that effects pigs and got passed to us humans (we're susceptible to most pig viruses)
edit on 6-6-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Someone had mentioned that China is investing a lot of money into developing green technologies. That is true, however they have not seemed to use any of it. My guess is they are investing so much in it for monetary reasons as opposed to helping eliminate their current pollution problem. I wonder what the rate of birth defects are in China currently.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I wonder what the rate of birth defects are in China currently.

Before or after they murder unborn babies because the parents already have 1?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join