It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeon: Remove Kidneys for Transplant Before Donor's Death

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Surgeon: Remove Kidneys for Transplant Before Donor's Death

gma.yahoo.com

The severe shortage of viable organs for transplantation in the U.S. has led a transplant surgeon to propose harvesting kidneys from people who are not dead yet.
Dr. Paul Morrissey, an associate professor of surgery at Brown University's Alpert Medical School, wrote in The American Journal of Bioethics that the protocol known as donation after cardiac death -- meaning death as a result of irreversible damage to the cardiovascular system -- has increased the number of organs available for trans
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Here is the part that worries me most.

Though not dead yet, they are 'as good as dead' from an ethical perspective," wrote Franklin Miller, a bioethicist at the National Institutes of Health, along with Dr. Robert Truog, a professor of medical ethics, anesthesiology and pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. "No harm or wrong is committed by procuring vital organs prior to stopping life support

To me this is the first step down a slippery slope. "As good as dead" means still alive. So now they want to start harvesting based on "quality of life" in that you will soon be dead so why not get those organs now? When does it become "The recipient will contribute much more to society than the donor ever could"? Thank God I never signed up to become a donor. I plan to revise my will specifically stating my intentions to never donate. Eventually, we may not get the choice. We may all just become "organ farms" for the rich and powerful and to me this is the first step on that path.

gma.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I remember watching a film where rich people would have a clone made and they would harvest the organs from the clone all pretty gruesome. Hope thats not the way we are going, seems abit unethicall to me.

The film was called THE ISLAND (1995)

In 2019, Lincoln Six Echo and Jordan Two Delta are best friends in a repressive and intriguing society, where everybody expects to win the lottery. The prize is to move to a paradisaical island outside the domes that protect the dwellers against the contaminated environment. Jordan wins the lottery, and Lincoln accidentally finds the scary truth behind the Utopian award: they are clones, generated to provide replacement organs and parts to the owners of insurance policy.
edit on 6-6-2012 by BuggingWicked because: remembered film

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Did you know, the value of a humans body parts is around £400,000. True, saw it on QI.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
For a donated organ, there sure is a lot of money made off of it. Even the anti-rejection drugs cost a lot of money. This brings up a point about how valuable an individuals life really is. I suppose if I were on the receiving end of the extended life it would seem that it would be worth the costs. Trouble is someone always pays for these procedures somehow, presently the cost is shared between many who have insurance.

It would be cheaper to remove the chemistry that causes organ failure from our environment. Many of the medications we take effect the liver which puts more strain on the kidneys. Many foods contain an overabundance of oxalates which can be neutralized by cooking/companion eating practices or antidotes. When raw broccoli is eaten it should be eaten with a dip containing a milk product because the calcium forms the stones in the guts instead of in the kidneys. Either that or boil the broccoli for a while so it is tender and discard the water. There are many things contained in the practices of our ancestors that cover these things. Trying to eat healthier sometimes is worse.

A good educational program on real food preparation would lower our health care costs but would devastate the medical industry. I study companion foods, my education is far from complete. I do recognize motive by the medical and insurance industries to cloud this information. I also know many people that would lose their jobs if there was less need for medical services. I am at odds about releasing all that I have learned. I'm sure the medical and Pharmaceutical industries would target me for destruction if I released all I know. They have nothing to worry about, I have no self destructive tendencies, I know the rules of society very well.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
if they have a donor card and are in a vegetative state with no realistic chance to return, i'd say that letting them die and using their organs for others is the best solution.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuggingWicked

I remember watching a film where rich people would have a clone made and they would harvest the organs from the clone all pretty gruesome. Hope thats not the way we are going, seems abit unethicall to me.
That is also my concern. I have to wonder if that isn't part of the end game here. TPTB will need some spare parts and I think that is all we are to them.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
if they have a donor card and are in a vegetative state with no realistic chance to return, i'd say that letting them die and using their organs for others is the best solution.

I would prefer that God decide when I die not a man who may or may not need some of my parts.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

That movie is called "The Island"

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Thanks i just edited me post then saw yours well done for getting it from that descript though

edit on 6-6-2012 by BuggingWicked because: idiot

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

That is also my concern. I have to wonder if that isn't part of the end game here. TPTB will need some spare parts and I think that is all we are to them.

tbh i think there is alot of organ harvesting going on that we are not told about
especially in the poorer countries around the world, this just seems to be taking it to the next level.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

That movie is called "The Island"
Thanks, I will check that out. I wonder how long until they farm us until we hit 30. Take the organs they want and turn the rest into protein paste to feed the other cattle?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BuggingWicked

I think you are right, but third world nations have third world diseases. I think that this is an attempt to get more "first world" organs.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I don't like admitting this out loud, but this and related matters are one reason I'm no longer an organ donor.

You mentioned that slippery slope? Yeah - I don't see what's much more slippery than not bothering to try resuscitating or otherwise preventing death in those who could be saved, since you can instead get yourself a new batch of fresh organs available for transplant instead.

I don't know how often that actually happens, but I've seen more than one report on it, and that's at least two more than enough for me. I'll update my will for organs to be donated or my body to go to science, perhaps, but I'm not letting some responders make that call if there's a chance they'll not fight as hard to save me as they would if I wasn't a donor.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by PeterWiggin

I'm no longer an organ donor either, and if someone were to use them it would only be my immediate family.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I would prefer that God decide when I die not a man who may or may not need some of my parts.

Then you would already be dead, you wouldn't be on life support keeping you artificially "alive".
edit on 6-6-2012 by StupidShouldHurt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by StupidShouldHurt

Then you would already be dead, you wouldn't be on life support keeping you artificially "alive".
Great, then my organs and I would be on the way home.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Every few months there is a story in the news about someone who was "as good as dead", in a coma or whatever, and yet they wake up and pull through. For instance, the baby who woke up in the morgue...

This is really just barbarism disguised as science.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by StupidShouldHurt

Great, then my organs and I would be on the way home.

Such a selfish waste. I hope for your sake you're never on a donor list in need of a transplant.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

one could argue linking someone up to life support when they're in a vegetative state IS denying someone their time to die, but neither position is correct because everything happens according to god's plan.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join