It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 TSA workers fired, 38 more disciplined after investigation at Fort Myers airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

5 TSA workers fired, 38 more disciplined after investigation at Fort Myers airport

www.washingtonpost.com

Five Transportation Security Administration workers at a southwest Florida airport have been fired and another 38 suspended after an investigation found they failed to perform random screenings last year.

The 43 disciplined workers, a combination of front-line screeners and supervisors, represent about 15 percent of the roughly 280 TSA employees at Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

edit on 6/6/2012 by draco49 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think it's pretty outrageous that they would fire and suspend their employees en mass because they didn't perform enough 4th Amendment-trampling "random" searches. This is going to send a clear message to TSA screeners that, "if you want to keep your job, you better "randomly" search as many people as possible." It almost sounds like they have some sort of quota in place dictating how many people they need to violate per shift.

The TSA has gotten completely out of control with all of this over-the-top "security theater". It's costing the taxpayers millions of dollars each year, and there is no evidence to support that the TSA has effectively prevented anything from happening. I'm sorry, but I would prefer to keep my civil liberties and accept the risk that "something bad" might happen if I take a flight (or get out of bed, drive a car, go out for dinner, etc).

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/6/2012 by draco49 because: spell-fix

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
You will still find retards that will tell you: if you dont like it, dont fly-dont come to the US.

Guess you really cant cure stupid.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I've worked security a good part of my life, and I'll tell you right now; One of the biggest problems is the monothony of the work. Nothing happens, ever, which leads the security personnel to relax, get lax and lazy, and cut corners. It's not their fault. In my opinion, it's inevitable - that includes for security personnel at airports, it seems. Security is an uphill battle against your own laziness. That doesn't mean that the security guards are full-out compromizing security, though.

Just thought I'd puit my 2 cents in there. These TSA employees deserve somebody to defend them.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

I understand what you're saying. The monotonous nature of the work leads can lead to complacency; that's not exclusive to security work. The major problem with this, that I see, is the message it sends to other screeners. Nobody wants to get fired or suspended, so now instances of these random thorough searches are going to increase. That'll lead to more instances of TSA misconduct allegations by the few who speak up against the process. But more troubling is that the majority of the sheeple who travel are just going to accept it as "the way it is" and become further acclimated to a pervasive police state.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss

Just thought I'd puit my 2 cents in there. These TSA employees deserve somebody to defend them.
No they don't. Did the SS need defending in Germany? How about the KGB? Be serious dude. These people are doing their master's bidding and screwing the rest of us over.

edit on 6-6-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The real story is they probably refused to harass passengers that politicians have on their shet list.

"The airport directed me to randomly rub you down"....wait a minute.....who directed you?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss
I've worked security a good part of my life, and I'll tell you right now; One of the biggest problems is the monothony of the work. Nothing happens, ever, which leads the security personnel to relax, get lax and lazy, and cut corners. It's not their fault. In my opinion, it's inevitable - that includes for security personnel at airports, it seems. Security is an uphill battle against your own laziness. That doesn't mean that the security guards are full-out compromizing security, though.

Were you working with these folks?

Delta Air Lines and TSA workers involved in drug ring - Hawaii ...
www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17291447/delta-air-lines-and-tsa-workers-involved-in-drug-ring-hawaii

Mar 29, 2012 ... The TSA says it is still looking into the allegations but says no TSA workers ... Not much considering they all face federal drug dealing charges.

edit on 6/6/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

"roughly 280 TSA employees" that number is absurdly high for SWFI airport..i live in ft myers and have used this airport several times..place isn't big enough for that many people.. i'm factoring in multiple shifts too..what a waste of money to have all these people on the government pay role...they should of fired alot more seeing how the nation is broke and all..
edit on 6-6-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alkesh

This is from last August, but since the TSA has only gotten worse, I think it's still relevant.

Guy Who Created The TSA Says It's Failed, And It's Time To Dismantle It

“It mushroomed into an army,” Mica said. “It’s gone from a couple-billion-dollar enterprise to close to $9 billion.”

As for keeping the American public safe, Mica says, “They’ve failed to actually detect any threat in 10 years.”

“Everything they have done has been reactive. They take shoes off because of [shoe-bomber] Richard Reid, passengers are patted down because of the diaper bomber, and you can’t pack liquids because the British uncovered a plot using liquids,” Mica said.

It cost $1 billion just to train workers, which now number more than 62,000, and “they actually trained more workers than they have on the job,” Mica said.

“It’s an agency that is always one step out of step. The whole thing is a complete fiasco.” Mica said.

You could spend hours combing through news archives using the search phrase "TSA failure". It's one excruciating failure after another. This latest business involving the dismissal of 5 employees and reprimand for 38 more is just another in a long series of mistakes and blunders by this behemoth of an agency. A week or so ago some guy who just got out of prison completely bypassed the TSA, walked out onto the tarmac, and boarded a plane! It was only a procedural headcount by the stewardess that led to the discovery of the guy. Stewardesses have been doing headcounts before takeoff for about as long as there has been commercial flights. Meanwhile, $10billion+ has been sunk into the TSA, and they haven't done one single thing that's contributed to the safety of flight, not to mention the fact that they violate the Constitution numerous times everyday, just trampling on civil liberties and not having sh|t to show for it at the end of the day. Seriously, when the guy who created the TSA talks about what a failure it has been, recommending that it be dismantled, that should tell you something.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by draco49

reading about it only makes me more angry..but you are right, the more you dig the more ridiculous stuff you find. what a waste of time and money.. good find man,good find
edit on 8-6-2012 by alkesh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join