It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactivity Counter App for mobiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I thought this was a pretty interesting application. I didn't know this was even possible with cmos sensors, of course I don't think it is very accurate, but would be better than nothing for those that can't afford more expensive counters. I did a search and didn't find anything on this, so if it's been posted before I apologize in advance.

Based on the CMOS camera sensors we succeeded in developing an App for android mobiles, working as a real Geiger Counter. This is not a fun app as many other ! We already did several measurements on different devices with several calibrated radiation sources (CO60, CS137 from 10 µS/h to 1 Sv/h) The App is available now on Android 2.2 and newer devices with a list of devices we have already calibrated. Part of the work is done at the Helmholtz research facility at munich. For example 1µSv/h produces 170 counts per minute on a Nexus One phone or Samsung Mini with excellent senseitivy

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Is this the one that requires black tape over the lens? (Can't watch the vid right now)
edit on 6-6-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Upon reading about this on various sites, It is my understanding that the method is based on particles that go through tape or aluminum foil covering the lens of the camera thus causing the detector to detect non-light energy. However, alpha radiation can be blocked by paper yet is still radioactive and harmful, so it is of certain though limited capabilities. The app counts the particle strikes and tries to tell you how much radiation there is getting through the light blocking material.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freezer
I thought this was a pretty interesting application.

Yes, very.

And this appears to be the man's homepage, and he even has a forum for users of his radioactivity app.

But it does have limitations...

The RC can measure only gamma-emissions. No alpha and no beta-emissions.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Is this the one that requires black tape over the lens? (Can't watch the vid right now)
edit on 6-6-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Yup.

reply to post by alfa1

Thanks for the links. I believe you are correct, only gamma, but not bad considering no extra parts are needed.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Lol..... a real geiger counter is cheaper than your iphone :p

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Lol..... a real geiger counter is cheaper than your iphone :p

But an iphone can do many more things.

(Also, Sumsung Galaxy SII/III Android > iPhone)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Sure enough,I've just seen a few such apps.being offered
ranging from free to like$5 in Android market.I wonder if the idea for these are about Fukishima?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Sure enough,I've just seen a few such apps.being offered
ranging from free to like$5 in Android market.I wonder if the idea for these are about Fukishima?

free ones are usually fake ones made to fool people.

top topics

join