It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas gun range to host children’s birthday parties!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
hope this is the correct forum,please move if need bee,thanx.

well leave it to good ole texas to show the kids how to really whoop it up at their birthday party!!!

A new gun range opening this summer in Lewisville, Texas, will have two rooms available for hosting children's birthday parties. Owner David Prince tells WFAA that the Eagle Gun Range will be available for children as young as eight years old.

"The age limit is eight years old. You have to be tall enough to get above the shooting table," Prince said. "They're not gonna be left unattended. Parents are gonna be one-on-one, or if there's not enough parents we'll have range safety officers here to show them how to do it safely."

in canada,my son (13 yers old) just was able to write his safety course for hunting. he is allowede to go hunting,but not allowed to carry a gun,or load a gun,or even own a gun yet! has to be accompanied by at least 2 adults with licenses,has to carry his learners permit,the only time he is allowed to 'shoot' is when an adult sets it all up for him and basically 'helps' him shoot.he has to be 16 to do this on his own,still, with adults present.
he has to be 18 to be man enough to hunt for himself!!!

While it may seem unusual to celebrate pairing young children with guns, it's not an entirely unique practice. Last November, an Arizona gun club hosted a day of Christmas photos, where children could post with a man dressed as Santa Claus—and semiautomatic weapons. That event reportedly drew hundreds of attendees.

hey santa,i want an m-16 with a full clip for christmas!!!

It makes me very nervous," said Dawn McMullan, who has two sons and has also worked on past gun control efforts. "I think eight year olds, developmentally, can't tell the difference between play and reality sometimes."

"And also to put it in a party or game atmosphere just seems to not respect a gun as much as we should respect guns," she said.

However, Prince said education is exactly what he has in mind by offering the range's services to budding marksmen.

at least theres one sane person in texas!!!

However, Prince said education is exactly what he has in mind by offering the range's services to budding marksmen.

"We truly believe it's a right and a privilege to shoot and to bear arms," Prince told WFAA. "But you have a responsibility to know how to do it well. It's your responsibility to know how to take care of your gun and know how to use it."

that quote is the best!!!

we want marksmen,so the gang bangers dont waste all those rounds on drive bys!

this story comes from yahoonews.com

what do you guys think???

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The games at that party would be fun
Musical chairs ,last one standing gets shot

and Murder in the dark with obvious outcomes

In all seriousness though if it gets the kids away from shooting terrorists at home on the playbox ,and trains them for "real life" ,it cant be all that bad

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
It's only an issue when you hide guns and tell kids that they're evil and all this stuff. It's funny that we so much want to teach kids about sex, drugs, and other things, but we want to hide weapons from them and pretend weapons don't exist.

Just like anything else, the safest way to be is to give them a good education as early as possible. And that's the point. Once they see things up close and personal like that, it not only gives them a respect for the power, but it also demystifies the gun so that they don't have the temptation of curiosity.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
sounds like a good way to make some money as once they're at the range the parents might go and buy a gun or 2 or some ammo for what they have at home and its some extra money for the range

and for the little ones i've seen a hello kitty rifle picture so i'm sure a themed set of weapons for the little ones will be on sale as well

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

in canada,my son (13 yers old) just was able to write his safety course for hunting.

Wow..what? When I was 13 I was reading Vonnegut and Salinger and don't think I would have any problems being able to write anything. I am not intending to pick on you, but a 13 year old should have absolutely not problem understanding or writing in a gun safety course.

has to be accompanied by at least 2 adults with licenses

That just seems silly.. 2 adults?

Anyway, this really isn't a big deal, some families use guns regularly as tools and teach their kids from an early age. People aren't forced to take their children it is just an option. I see nothing wrong with this. The outrage over things like this is more indicative of the times we live in then the actual topic at hand. Just a few decades ago children were a lot more mature and had real responisibilities. When my grandparents were kids they would baby sit their siblings beginning around 8 or 10. Adults today treat their kids like they are stupid and incapable so they become stupid and incapable. If the adults are responsible and teach their kids respect for the tool as well as keeping the weapons locked up there will never be a problem.

I do understand a lot of people will have trouble understanding because in their mind they put their kids in the situation rather than consider that there may be children that are mature enough to handle it. Basically it's like saying "woah, my kids way too stupid to handle that situation responsibly" in reality it's just how people raise their kids today.

I plan on having some sometime in the future and though I probably wouldn't take them to a place like that for their party it won't be because I have raised them as incompetant twits, but because that place sounds hella boring for kids. I do plan to raise any kids I might have completely different than what I have seen in the US lately. It's really sad.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I might regret this, but here we go.

Originally posted by reficul

in canada,my son (13 yers old) just was able to write his safety course for hunting. he is allowede to go hunting,but not allowed to carry a gun,or load a gun,or even own a gun yet! has to be accompanied by at least 2 adults with licenses,has to carry his learners permit,the only time he is allowed to 'shoot' is when an adult sets it all up for him and basically 'helps' him shoot.he has to be 16 to do this on his own,still, with adults present.

While I have no problems with Canada's laws...I do find the highlighted portions a bit extreme. I personally was shooting at about the age of 8 here in the US(started with a.22).

Also you must remember that the 2nd amendment here in the US is not based in the idea of hunting; rather it is based in the idea of self defense. Hence the importance of good understanding, and accuracy. It's very difficult to effectively, safely defend yourself if you do not understand the weapon.

he has to be 18 to be man enough to hunt for himself!!!

Legally this may be the case, but I know several under the age of 18 that are capable and responsible hunters.

that quote is the best!!!

we want marksmen,so the gang bangers dont waste all those rounds on drive bys!

Criminals, thugs, and gangbangers don't bother with proper marksmanship training...hell here in the US they can't even hold the weapon properly.

Markmanship is for people who do not want to needlessly hurt others...notice how much emphasis the police, and military put on marksmanship scores.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

edit on 6-6-2012 by cartographer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I think it's a fantastic idea. Firearm ownership in this country is part of the national heritage and it's a Constitutional right. Children raised with proper knowledge of firearms are less at risk of both accidental and deliberate discharges. Respawn points in the real world are hard to come by.

That being said ... this comes to mind

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
those of us who have been handling guns since childhood can testify, the earlier you learn the better. Its not like teaching kids the extreme importance of gun safety is wrong. It is a really inspiring sight to see a 10 year old handle a rifle like a soldier and respect and handle it's power like a mini-man, instead of throwing tantrums over toys and video games and stuck in a 24/7 lala land. Not saying kids who don't shoot have that mentality, just saying kids need something to concentrate on because we can see the results all over the web of what happens when little ones are allowed to be the all whiny brat, daily!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by usmconslaught

well after that my reply seems a bit ironic.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I got my very first gun when I was 8, it was a .22. Before that I got a pump pelletgun, I think it was the pumpmaster 760. I got my red rider when I was 5. Pretty typical of the area I was raised in. Schools were closed in opening days for hunting seasons, because they knew less then half the school would not be out hunting with their parents.

Both my girls, 12 and 13 have .22 of their own now.
edit on Wed, 06 Jun 2012 04:18:14 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Absolutely nothing wrong with this.

The only thing I would worry about on children and guns is putting children who's parents do nothing to show them anything about gun safety in front of guns. Children and parents WITH gun safty, awareness... Perfectly fine.

I was raised around guns... No I'm not a redneck. I'm a Cajun. We lived off the land, we farmed, hunted, fished... and I did these things on MY OWN when I was still a kid, not even in my teens yet. I knew how because I was raised with them, not to be afraid, what they could do, and what they could do if you were not careful. None of my cousins, siblings, parents, uncles or aunts, grandfather or other, ever had an "accedental" shooting.

Now there was that one time with the pellet gun, the BB gun, and the 4/10 loaded with salt rock... but that's none of your concern... they had it commin

No one in my HUGE family (7 aunts and uncles on both sides, litteraly over a hundred grandkids on each side) and not one has ever been in a shooting accident. Now, I would not want my kids around other kids who are around guns that have not been raised around them. That, to me, is just silly and asking for danger.

When I was able to hold a gun and wander off on my own, I knew what that gun was capable of if I didnt use it right. I could kill, hurt or serious wound someone and my father made it very plain to us what the reactions would be if such a thing happened. So even away from our father, we were carful and very adimant about doing it right because we knew pain from getting out butts busted when we did wrong.... But we also know that all hell would break loose if we screwed this up. Pain would have nothing over he hell that our father would bring down upon us. Sides... We were good kids.. The kind of kids that didnt like upsetting our father because we loved him more than life itself.

Guns dont kill people. Stupid people kill people. Guns just do what you make it do. You can do the same damage with a knife or a sharp stick. I dont see many laws against owning a tree limb.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89
those of us who have been handling guns since childhood can testify, the earlier you learn the better. Its not like teaching kids the extreme importance of gun safety is wrong. It is a really inspiring sight to see a 10 year old handle a rifle like a soldier and respect and handle it's power like a mini-man, instead of throwing tantrums over toys and video games and stuck in a 24/7 lala land. Not saying kids who don't shoot have that mentality, just saying kids need something to concentrate on because we can see the results all over the web of what happens when little ones are allowed to be the all whiny brat, daily!

could not have said that last part better.. just LOL

Love it bro. Bet many wont even get that!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Me too. A red rider with the big metal medallion in the stock. I never shot an eye out, not mine or anyone elses.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmconslaught
I think it's a fantastic idea. Firearm ownership in this country is part of the national heritage and it's a Constitutional right. Children raised with proper knowledge of firearms are less at risk of both accidental and deliberate discharges. Respawn points in the real world are hard to come by.

That being said ... this comes to mind

You sir have put into words what i can only rattle around in my head save a better pairing. God Bless you

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I see no problem with this because I started shooting at that age. It's also a good way for the kids to learn just how dangerous a real weapon can be. It's the stupid people who have weapons that doesn't bother to teach kids about weapons are the people that end up having kids shoot themselves because they think it is a toy.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Well, I went to the Marksman Indoor Firing Range here a few months ago, and one of the instructors was telling us how one guy's 9mm pistol jammed. He called the instructor over for assistance and while demonstrating how it was jammed, literally pointed it towards him while pulling the trigger. Instructor crapped himself!

If an adult can have a mental blank and do something like that a young kid could surely too.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

That is ridiculous and scary whoever that guy was, he was an idiot it wasn't just a dull mental moment. I rip anyone that swipes a barrel across me and don't point a gun at anyone even when it's obviously empty. Just good habit.

I however don't see how it relates to a firing range where they have parties for kids. No one said they just let the kids go off and play with the guns on their own.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Way back when,,, When I went to HS in Texas, In the 9th grade you were taught Gun safety, Shooting, Archery and repelling from a 40 ft rock wall. When the teacher shows you what its like to look down the barrel of an empty .44 double barrel shotgun YOU LEARN & RESPECT.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I think it really depends on the kid and it's up to the parent to determine if they are responsible and attentive enough to be allowed to shoot. I've been around some guys that needed to be reported to the range master, and seem some kids that could shame almost everyone there. I would have loved to go to a shooting party.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join