It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Sparrow vs Exoset - exlusive footage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Footage that you wont see around the net, well its really not supposed to be uploaded but its a world first ...

Since everyone is so freaked out about the impending global financial collapse some us are well aware of whats around the corner and are prepared for what is more likely to happen, so enjoy this first exclusive of very very recent naval training night mission.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

What was I looking at? First thing I thought was that I was watching a boat, and it got blown up. But then it started moving again...

Now I think the first thing I saw was some sort of small launch boat coming off a bigger one? OR what was it?

And then Boom...

Or was that Missile on Missile action?

Google solved that for me...

Whoa! That's one nice missile defense. What happens if there are 30 missile locks all at once? I think we would still be in trouble right?
edit on 6/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't understand what is so special about this? Don't be so vague OP.

So the Greek used and old surface to air to shoot down an old sea skimmer?
What are the implications you allude to? It is just an old missile blowing up another old missile. I guess it means they have a good crew working the old tech?

Sea Sparrow is from the 80's, that particular exocet is from the 70's.
edit on 6-6-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You do realize the Exoset is older than dirt? My son could probably bring one down with his slingshot.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter
You do realize the Exoset is older than dirt? My son could probably bring one down with his slingshot.

There are newer, more modern ones.
edit on 6-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

i have attended multiple incoming missile from sea and air during a military excessive in the past and its similar to what your watching here. What makes this vid different is the height of the exoset, it was configured for a lower (sea level) flight path. The difficulty was also in altering the sparrow to track and lock on such a low level flight path. As i pre mentioned, on multiple incoming alerts there is always a +- factor that is considered, ie. how may targets have been hit and what percentage of the defense has been hit. I guess this is were four and five star generals come into action considering such factors.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

Originally posted by jcarpenter

There are newer, more modern ones.
edit on 6-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

you bet there are..!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I do wish people would learn how to spell want they're posting about. It's an exoCET, not an exoset.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacific_waters
I do wish people would learn how to spell want they're posting about. It's an exoCET, not an exoset.

exocert or exosert ..whats that difference.... hehe..sure i understand what your point is... me bad and soz...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Footage that you wont see around the net, well its really not supposed to be uploaded but its a world first ...

Since everyone is so freaked out about the impending global financial collapse some us are well aware of whats around the corner and are prepared for what is more likely to happen, so enjoy this first exclusive of very very recent naval training night mission.

So what are you trying to prove or say?
Missiles can be effective, even 40 year old ones?
We all know that, nothing here that is relevant.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Sailor Sam because: spelling

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Sea Sparrow is the new defense for US Navy ships. It's a huge improvement over the CIWS as it gives a much longer range, and you're not going to get hit by debris after you shoot down the missile. The RIM-7R Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile is a modified Sparrow AIM-7P. They used the AIM-7P guidance section, with a completely different aft section. It's two inches wider, which means that it's got a more powerful motor, removes the mid-body fins, and replaces them with the long fins of the Standard Missile that is carried by the Aegis system. Because of the changes, it was redesignated the RIM-162 ESSM.

The RIM-162 is capable of being carried in a VLS system, like on the Aegis, or from a box launcher like used on an aircraft carrier. The VLS uses a quad pack to carry four missiles in a single cell. That means that they can hold four ESSMs in the place of one SM-2.

The RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) is used to protect ships from attacking missiles and aircraft, and is designed to counter supersonic maneuvering anti-ship missiles. Compared to the RIM-7 Sea Sparrow, ESSM is effectively a new missile with a larger, more powerful rocket motor for increased range, a different aerodynamic layout for improved agility, and the latest missile guidance technology. Testing has even shown the ESSM to be effective against fast surface craft, an option that greatly expands the missile’s utility. As a further bonus, the RIM-162 ESSM has the ability to be “quad-packed” in the Mk 41 vertical launching system, allowing 4 missiles to be carried per launch cell instead of loading one larger SM-2 Standard missile or similar equipment.

RIM-162 ESSM

Sea Sparrow being launched from USS George H. W. Bush (CVN-77)

ESSM from USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)

The original Sparrow is 1960s technology, but this is a vastly upgraded system as compared to that. The flexibility in this system is incredible. It has the capability to hit sea skimming targets, or high altitude targets, similar to the SM-2, but can carry more ammunition, and can be mounted on ships that normally can't carry the SM-2, to give them a much better defense capability than CIWS.

top topics

join