It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeletons treated for vampirism found in Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
story from FoxNews
June 05, 2012
Associated Press

Skeletons treated for vampirism found in Bulgaria

Archaeologists in Bulgaria have found old skeletons with metal stakes through their chests.

Obviously, these were vampire killings.

Apparently this was a common practice for evil people to be buried.

And, they say this was done all the way into the 20th century !!

I wonder if this is still done any where in the world today ?

If not, maybe ..........................?

SOFIA, Bulgaria – Bulgarian archaeologists say they have unearthed centuries-old skeletons pinned down through their chests with iron rods -- a practice believed to stop the dead from becoming vampires.

According to Bozhidar Dimitrov, head of the National History Museum in the Bulgarian capital, Sofia, two skeletons from the Middle Ages were found in such a state last weekend near the Black Sea town of Sozopol.

He said Tuesday that corpses were regularly treated in such a way before being buried in some parts of Bulgaria, even until the beginning of the last century.

Widespread superstition led to iron rods being hammered through the chest bones and hearts of those who did evil during their lifetimes for fear they would return after death to feast on the blood of the living.

According to Dimitrov, over 100 corpses stabbed to prevent them from becoming vampires have been discovered across Bulgaria over the years.

"I do not know why an ordinary discovery like that [has] became so popular. Perhaps because of the mysteriousness of the word "vampire," he said.

Do Zombie Vampires exist ?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well I think it's been proven that driving a wooden stake through Cheney's fake heart would have no effect, who knows what really works on these real life vampires.

Who knows how to really kill these vampires, perhaps making them watch 9/11 videos would spark a bit of humanity in them. As far as these Hollywood vampires go, it's all nonsense.

edit on 6-6-2012 by JibbyJedi because: tyop

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
What with the possible vampires, bells tied to toes ( ya know....to make sure no one was alive down there) and what not, the graveyard shifts just aren't as hard core as the used to be.

It was also common to treat anyone who was bloated, rosy or well preserved (from being underground) as a vampire. Even after the fact that their dead. People checked their own loved ones from time to time, to make sure. It didn't help that when they are staked, sometimes the gasses would release through the vocal cords so they would moan.
edit on 6-6-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: add thought

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Wild, but it just seems like something that was done because they were ignorant and fearful. I do not believe that zombie vampires exist, it's imaginary nonsense.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Obviously it was because they were vampires....

/sarcasm.

People used to think Witches were a real thing...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
In very old times, it was practiced, not because of actual events, but natural events.

When someone died, they often died of a natural cause. Back in the day it was a sickness or disease they had no idea about. And as the body decomposed, should they ever be dug up, people would see that the body had contorted and appeared as if it had still had life.

Gasses in the body would bellow from a corpse... A deathly shape may appear to have been reanimated after burial.

A way to ensure death, would be to nail or stake a body to make sure the devil had no way to control the dead body.

It's a common theme in medieval times.

we did atrocious things to our dead, based on our fears..

... have we really changed?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It wasn't just evil people this was done to, there were many reasons people were treated this way. In some cultures they even went so far as to ram a brick in your mouth so even if you did rise from the grave you couldn't bite anyone cos of this brick in yer mush.

You could even be a risk of vampirism if say you died in childbirth. So no, not all evil people were looked on with potential suspicion.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Now I have to worry about zombie vampire skeletons? BRB, ammo.

I didn't know this was a practice and was under the impression that vampires were never taken seriously. I am probably making a huge ass of myself right now for not reading the links...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I didn't know this was a practice and was under the impression that vampires were never taken seriously. I am probably making a huge ass of myself right now for not reading the links...

A very common practice since the belief of vampires in the balcans was(and in some places still is) strong.

My thread about vampires in Greece:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And another member's thread about vampires in balcans:

reply to post by xuenchen

OP very interesting find.Thanks for sharing

edit on 6-6-2012 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Ummmm....... This. Is. Awesome.....Ancient Eastern Europe is where all the fun was at..... Now we have vampires, zombies, witches, and Kate Upton.. Could life get any better??? I think not.... I cant wait till all the **** hits the fan cause you know Ill be ready to battle the undead...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Witches do exist.
Not Hollywood witches, though.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic
reply to post by MmmPie

Witches do exist.
Not Hollywood witches, though.

They do exist... I found that out like 6 months ago here on ATS when we had a few of our "resident' witches explain some cool stuff about their craft.. Thankfully they were nice witches
...... I remember the one girl mentioning about placement of mirrors and if you place them wrong in a house (i believe facing a door) a witch can look into your home, or something like that... anyways, its pretty interesting stuff...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

Originally posted by Domo1

A very common practice since the belief of vampires in the balcans was(and in some places still is) strong.

My thread about vampires in Greece:

And another member's thread about vampires in balcans:

OP very interesting find.Thanks for sharing

edit on 6-6-2012 by Phantom traveller because: (no reason given)

Hey thanks for the reply! I'm actually rather interested in this. I always think legends have a grain of truth, no matter how small. Never took the vampire thing seriously at all, even as a legend. I need to be prodded to learn it seems. I suppose that's been rather apparent with my posting history though.

ETA what a cool thread you did! Anyone unfamiliar check that thread out. It's great.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The funny thing is that I live in Bulgaria and these skeletons are really interesting, but... real vampires? Hardly. Although in Bulgaria has many legends about vampires (or similar creatures). Most are the usual stories about dead people become alive (usually after they have crossed by a black cat). We have stories of other creatures - like the so called Yavina (Явина) or Сенкя (rough translation - Shadow). This is covered in blood, chained monster that feeds with blood. But the skeletons which are referred to in the thread are not on real vampires.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It looks like it worked pretty well. I am curious though if this is purely a treatment fore vampirism or if it would work on a mother-in-law as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I believe that somewhere people will drink other peoples blood but i just feel they are saddist and wanna be's imitating a cult.

I do not believe for a second that the real mythical vampires exist.

But thats my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join