It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could go anywhere in search of any cryptid...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Which ones would you be seeking out, where would you look, and/or who would you talk to?

I'll go first...
I think that I would go talk with locals around Loch Ness
I would go to Australia's outback and speak with ranchers about thylacine sightings
I would go speak with people in Nepal about the yeti
and I would maybe also go to China to discuss the role of dragons in terms of their cultural identity

This is a brainstorming thread, for all cryptozoologists to refer to when on the lookout for potential research projects. Ideas must be somewhat plausible--use discretion as to whatever this means.

(When I say in search, I mean in search of information. No bringing back pelts or anything in jars, please and thank you, kids).
**(Non-destructive DNA sampling is okay as long as you are very careful with your samples and where you send them to).
edit on 6/6/2012 by ravenshadow13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Personally, I would start with anything South of the Northern Hemisphere. I truly hate the cold lol. Crypto is a fun and exciting field and really to me it does not matter what case I start with as long as it follows the guidelines set above.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'd search for the Almas, in Mongolia and Russia.

They seem to be more human-like than the other species of hominids.

They appear to be the only kind that has been captured and trained, and inter-bred with humans in historical times.

(This thread may also be interesting for some posters: www.abovetopsecret.com...)
edit on 6-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I would go to Australia's outback and speak with ranchers about thylacine sightings

Great choice. This one you could actually find and make a name for yourself too. Not to mention hot Aussie women and the beach.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I would love to go to Antarctica, melt all the ice and see what there is to see.

Though I'm sure that many Countries would have a problem with all that pesky flooding and stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Bottom of the ocean if I could. There's soooo much down there we barely understand even in the 21st century, and scientists are discovering new species every day. Kinda makes the whole sea serpent/giant squid non-existence thing seem a bit redundant when you consider how little we understand.

Even better I would love to be able to just strip away the oceans and have a wander around in the deepest parts of the world under the seas.

And for those you wondering, the thylacine (Tassie Tiger) could easily live in large numbers in S/W Tasmania. The forests are so dense down there, you could be standing next to one and not even realise. And that's coming from someone who has trekked all over Tasmania, and seen the forests for myself

edit on 6-6-2012 by 74Templar because: typos

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Hiya Raven, I haven't seen you around for ages.

In my imagination, I'd like to go looking for Orang Pendek in Sumatra. Strongest candidate for non-cryptid. Who knows what else might be found too? Exploring places that are still ruled by nature appeals to me - escapism!

In reality, it does sound pretty tough out there. Whenever Adam Davies writes an article or does an interview, I pay attention. His expeditions have seen glimpses of the little fella and it seems like only time will tell.

Tough as it would be, the journey would be stunning and a trip of a lifetime.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well that's one approach!

I guess it's like chopping down all the forests at record speed to find Bigfoot or Orang Pandek.

Pffft...who cares if some environmentalists complain?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Agent Orange anyone???

Guess on the bright side, you'd find your bigfoot. Or at least what was left of him....

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

When I was a kid my older brother had this idea that one could find the Lochness Monster by draining the Loch and making a long pipe from the lake into space.
Then one could drain the Loch to become a ball of water in space, and the monster would be caught in a filter.
Well, he did become an engineer.

I guess the Scotts wouldn't mind.

edit on 6-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I would search for The Jersey Devil, Mothman, Goatman, Chubracabra, and Bigfoot in that order. They have all fascinated me and hold a special place in my heart.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blackreign2012

Where would you go??

I love some of these project ideas, guys! Orang pendek in Sumatra... that's a great one! So are the Almas in Mongolia. Who would you talk to first? If you stepped off the plane in one of these places, where would be the first place you would go?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
First, I would go back to where the Bigfoot story all started, Bluff Creek in Northern California. I would visit Willow Creek, talk to anyone who would talk to me and rent a little place out in the woods. Then I would act "normal" (play some Native flute music, leave bananas lying around, burn some white sage, tan on a lounge chair, etc.) and see what happens. I would like to spend all summer doing this.

Second, I would check out the Utinah Basin. I don't know what I would find there or perhaps I should say, I don't know what form of creature I might find there, but spending time at Skinwalker Ranch might prove
quite interesting.

Of course, the lure of darkest Africa and the Mokele-Mbembe has a strong attraction for me too. The area is remote enough to hide a surviving dinosaur population.

But for those of you trying to decide, here is a list to really confuse you: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by blackreign2012

Where would you go??

I love some of these project ideas, guys! Orang pendek in Sumatra... that's a great one! So are the Almas in Mongolia. Who would you talk to first? If you stepped off the plane in one of these places, where would be the first place you would go?

There creatures for the most part haunt the same areas. Kinda like asking where would you go to hunt a koala bear.

For the Jersey Devil I would go to the New Jersey Pine Barrens, for The Mothman I would go to Point Pleasant West Virginia, etc. etc. etc.
edit on 7-6-2012 by blackreign2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If I had unlimited financing it seems like "Champ" and "Ogopogo" would be a good choice. Since for instance

There have been recordings of some unknown creature in lake Champlain using "bio-location" and Ogopogo

sightings by ferry captains etc.., locals for ages have reported both creatures in these lakes.

Just need lots of time, money, equipment etc..

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

A Deep Undeground Military Base or DUMB designed strictly for capture and holding of modified human & non human entities. Would just ask the officials there for intel on their recent finds.

Another location would be near or beneath the Vatican, so would ask Vatican officials about what they have there as well.

Of course reaching a D.U.M.B. area approx. two miles below sea level is almost impossible for most of the general populace and I doubt if you reached it they would share whats within the holding cells with the special metal alloys/ RADIATED/ PLASMA BEAM to prevent escape
the Vatican may allow into a vault above the lower floors but I doubt they will let you into the more secured and PROTECTED areas.

My 3 cents

top topics

join