It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Popped THE QUESTION!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I just proposed to the woman of my dreams. We have only been together for 7 months but we could not wait anymore. Everything has fallen into place perfectly and it was crap or get off the pot time. So I bought a dog tag and had the big question engraved on it and had my dog help me out. We cried, told our families and had a nice dinner at home. Any advice on how to sustain a long happy marriage would be appreciated. My parents will be married 43 years tomorrow and they fought all the time but stayed together through it all. I just want till be happy. I think I am off to a great start.
edit on 6/5/1212 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc
I just proposed to the woman of my dreams. We have only been together for 7 months but we could not wait anymore. Everything has fallen into place perfectly and it was crap or get off the pot time. So I bought a dog tag and had the big question engraved on it and had my dog help me out. We cried, told our families and had a nice dinner at home. Any advice on how to sustain a long happy marriage would be appreciated. My parents will be married 43 years tomorrow and they fought all the time but stayed together through it all. I just want till be happy. I think I am off to a great start.

First, go to church regularly if you are at all religious.

Second, if the above is true, read "The Complete Husband" by Lou Priolo. Do this BEFORE you get married, BEFORE you make all the mistakes. If you're not religious, read it anyway. You'll still learn a lot.

Oh, and Congratulations.

edit on 5-6-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Thank you, we are religious. We talked to a priest about a month ago who had known her for years and kicked the idea around. I know faith helps allot. Like a posted, my parents fought allot, but also regularly go to church. I think that's has had the most positive impact. I just hope a learned from all I have seen. I heard about that book before. I'll take you're word for it, and go pick it up.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Congratulations!

Marriage can be wonderful, and luckily my marriage has been. However, it can be challenging at times, and may require you to grow in ways you did not expect to or want to.

For now, enjoy your engagement! In time, be strong and remember ---> it's 'til death do us part, for better or for worse. The marriage bond and families are essential parts of our culture and represent a strength of unknown magnitude that the global elites fear, and have therefore tried to debase and degrade through the media.

Well, enough of that blather, best of luck!!!

Peace

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
7 Months! I'm happy and all but that is not a very long time considering your still in Limerence

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I am not married but I think just about every one could give you some useful advice on their experiences with married couples. My advice, people change, you do not have to change with them but you do have to adapt. So when your partner starts to change and you do not like it be understanding and look at it from their perspective.
My next advice would be to take peoples advice seriously. Your going to read these and forget about them a week later.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Just be honest. Always. And be open. Always.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Thank you. You make perfect sense. I have had the ring for over a month and tried to talk myself out of it, but failed every time because I finally found the person I would actually do anything for. I could not pass it up. We're still not going to get married for at least a year and a half, as we just got done discussing. But I am ready. Thanks again for the advice.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Hello, and congradulations on your engagement. I wouldn't mind giving some advice, I been married two years and been with my amazing husband for 7 years total. What has worked so well for us, we are best friends and a equal partnership. The lines of comunication are always open, the response always constructive, if your loved one can't confide in you, then overtime problems will build. My husband and I are open with eachother, and our relationship is very strong because of it. I just thought I'd offer my 2 cents, again congrats.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
My advice is never get too comfortable. I mean this.. like it or not, staying attracted to one another is a big deal when it comes to maintaining a happy and healthy partnership. Don't fart around her. Seriously, don't. People think "aw that's so cute they love eachother that much". No. It's gross. Don't pick your nose in front of her, don't burp so much, don't take your shoes off after a long day right under her nose, etc etc.. Keep your breath fresh, etc.. You don't want her to start associating you with bodily functions and peculiar smells.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
CONGRATULATIONS!

Advice:
1 - Be honest with one another, always.
2 - COMMUNICATE! (Don't ever assume!)
3 - Give each other space! Everyone needs a little personal space! I recommend each of you even having your own room or private space. Of course you can sleep together, but it is important for you to each have a private sanctuary.
4 - Share chores.
5 - Always plan time, every week for just the two of you. It could be a date, a long walk, a picnic, a romantic night. Just time that you turn off electronics, and just spend with one another.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Thank you!!! I knew I would get the best advice here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

Uh oh. I better change it up. I used to do all those things. But she has gotten me to grow up in the past few months. She really is good for me, because she pushes me to be a better person everyday.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

We have that list checked pretty good. Especially now that I have a man cave and she has the rest of the house.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

LOL! Man-Cave GOOD!

Seriously though..everyone needs a little thing to call their own. Being a couple is wonderful, but we are human too and sometimes just need a breather. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

I actually said something similar in negotiating for the man cave.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Another doom and gloom thread?

Just kidding

Good luck

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Met my wife 21 years ago (She was 18, I was 24)

Living together within 3 months.

Married after 10 years.

Kids at 15 years & 18 year mark.

Not at all religious......

Our secret? Is only that we still love each other, we still care and have respect for our differences and show compassion again after any argument......

PS: My man cave is now a play room, so good luck mate, I wish you the best.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mickierocksman

Thanks for the heads up. I did cover my bases, I asked for a man shed in the back yard if kids come along. Which I how they do eventually. Thank you for the awesome advice.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just like to wish you a congrats and happy marriage. Just curious how old are you? A few of my friends are already married. One of my friends got married at 21! lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join