Tons of dead sardines wash up on Chiba shore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

According to the news, the dead fish started washing up around noon of June 3, and as of Tuesday afternoon, the situation still remained pretty much out of control. The amount of dead sardines that has washed up is thought to total several dozen metrics tons, so you can imagine how bad the smell of rotting fish must be.

www.japantoday.com...

Chiba is south of Fukushima -

Of course, there is no speculation in the article from Japan Today as to whether this is related to the copious amounts of radioactive water Tepco has dumped into the ocean, but it sure makes you wonder. Based on the truth track record of the Fukushima incident, it's not surprising that they're not even speculating.

The Fukushima Diary mentions the event.

A sardine die-off occurred in Southern Cal last year from oxygen deprivation after a powerful neurotoxin caused them to swim into a marina.
articles.latimes.com...
news.discovery.com...

Sardines -

The sardine eats plankton and small fish larva, and forms an important part of the marine food chain because they are in turn eaten by larger species. In addition to being eaten by other fish, sardines form a substantial part of the diet of many aquatic birds such as pelicans.

www.wisegeek.com...

It will be interesting to see what develops over the next few days.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
holy smokes you are not joking that is indeed a ton for sure , what the heck would make them want to do that ? are all the sea creatures washing up ect ect , i am starting to think they are protesting !!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I wonder if it's a red tide sort of thing...or the neuro toxin again...it always strange when it is just one type of animal that dies en mass ....why wouldn't it affect other fish?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

That is absolutely repulsive, just look at how red that water is!! How on earth is this happening without any type of coverage and btw it's pretty damn clear that it's from radiation considering it's....... IN JAPAN. How the hell do people even question what this is caused by??

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

why wouldn't it affect other fish?

I wondered that too. My very uneducated guess is that sardines swim in large schools - so a die-off is more noticeable? Also, their smaller size may lead to death from radiation contamination more quickly?

Of course - it could very well be the red tide or some other type of toxin, but Tepco really dumped a heck of alot of radioactive water into the ocean....hard to believe it wouldn't have any effect.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Nature itself will turn against us. There is hope, but it's going to be a wild ride and we are going to have to completely change our way of life. That is if humanity wants to exist at all. If not, the earth will do quite well without us.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
I wonder if it's a red tide sort of thing...or the neuro toxin again...it always strange when it is just one type of animal that dies en mass ....why wouldn't it affect other fish?

I'm not sure if it is from the process of decaying or not but the left side of the mass of dead fish does appear red/burgundy in color. It is hard to tell from the photo beyond a meter or so though, but could be a super atomic powered red tide.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
In related news: Japanese cat morale at all-time high.

Seriously, though - it only seems to be affecting the one species. I always find that odd. It has to be something specifically deadly to that fish and nothing else in that area.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
In related news: Japanese cat morale at all-time high.

Not for long would be my guess, unless being "glow in the dark" cats raises feline morale. Actually, now that I have typed that out it does sound pretty cool. Until they cross paths with my "non glow in the dark" Rottweiler that is.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
so they dont have sea-gulls in Japan?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
that's crazy, I wonder if it's somehow related to these other mass die-offs happening lately, like the dolphins washing up on the northeast of the US, and what was it..australia I think? Of course its probably just all that radioactive water being spilled into the area around fukushima

Or we could adopt the religious perspective making it a sign of the end times, who knows..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fortysixAnd2

I don't know that we'll ever be told the real reason, but it seems something is not quite right with the earth's waterways - is anyone surprised?

Or we could adopt the religious perspective making it a sign of the end times, who knows..

Funny you should mention that - others are wondering the same -

There are also, of course, the usual posts and comments on the Internet on how this could be an omen, a sign of a coming great natural disaster.

www.japantoday.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Maybe related to the depths they swim within and what would effect them within these areas like moving underwater plumes of some kind that vary in their depths..... This would effect schools of fish swimming in these damaged areas and not others.
edit on 6/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RadiantMonkey

btw it's pretty damn clear that it's from radiation considering it's....... IN JAPAN.

It is?

How the hell do people even question what this is caused by??

Probably because other things cause this, and have been for many years. SO without proper investigation it is irresponsible to blame one thing just because it's a hot topic...
edit on 6-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree with you that we shouldn't judge before it's clear what caused it.

But still i think radiation is a pretty safe bet.

Especially considering this

The operator of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant has been dumping something like a thousand tons per day of radioactive water into the Pacific ocean.

link

There's also a nice GIF picture that shows you how the contaminated water has spread.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

As another poster commented on the original article "Wow, that must be some pretty selective radiation."

Radiation in Norway?

Millions dead in California, radiation?

Dead fish in Arabia, radiation?

Radiation again... in 2009?

Based on this, Meyer estimates that 10,736 trout, 3,579 redfish, 645,949 mullet, 214,720 whiting, 286,293 ladyfish, 10,736 stargazers, 32,208 hardheads, 590,480 bumper, yellowtail, etc. and 1.213 million eels died in this fish kill alone. This was a single day count, representing only a fraction of the total devastation.

Source.

I have no idea how you people can automatically assume or blame radiation in this case...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
One possible reason why it's only sardines might be because of the way they feed. They swim with their mouth open to filter out plankton and krill through their gills. Could the reason be the sensitive gills are exposed to more water flow than most fish, absorbing more toxins or radiation into their system?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Could the reason be the sensitive gills are exposed to more water flow than most fish, absorbing more toxins or radiation into their system?

Pretty sure all fish spend most of their time in water...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Pretty sure all fish spend most of their time in water...

That knowledge alone has made this thread worthwhile...thanks!

Seriously, could radiation have something to do with this? - Considering the volume released into the water - Yes. Speculating is what most on this thread have been doing.

And do you know for a fact that those articles you cited regarding dead fish in California, Norway and Arabia were NOT from radiation? The one PDF you linked from Arabia mentions that "many sewage and industrial outfalls" were identified.

edit on 6-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
They have said it is about 200 tons:

www.dailymail.co.uk... tml

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join